PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 70-300 lens problem

davidh
31st October 2010, 10:17 AM
My 70-300 lens will not focus on AF or MF and no f stop displayed. it was working fine until i checked for firmware update. i have cleaned contacts but no help - other lenses all work fine on my E3.
Any ideas?

:(

theMusicMan
31st October 2010, 10:32 AM
David - do you mean by amending the AF / MF setting in the E3...? or on the lens?

davidh
31st October 2010, 10:38 AM
David - do you mean by amending the AF / MF setting in the E3...? or on the lens?

Hi John

i mean the AF/MF setting on the lens

the lens won't focus at all

Dave

theMusicMan
31st October 2010, 10:42 AM
OK, can you not manually adjust the focus...?

I'd say see if you can go through another firmware update with the lens attached to the camera. If not, it may be a call to Olympus telling them what's happened and what you did that triggered it... i.e. a simple firmware update.

Sorry to read you're having trouble with it.

davidh
31st October 2010, 10:49 AM
Hi John

manual focus will not work either when set on lens or in camera

i'll ring Oly tomorrow

thanks

Dave

theMusicMan
31st October 2010, 10:50 AM
Dave - did you try to re-do the firmware update...? (I'm not sure if you can do that, though)

davidh
31st October 2010, 10:53 AM
John

i did re-try but just got message to say firmware was latest

Dave

livingid
7th November 2010, 09:18 PM
Dave
Did you get any resolution to your problem?
I too am having issues with a 70-300mm and also did a firmware update so as to enable the lens to AF with a Lumix GH1.
The lens sometimes goes crazy on the Lumix - on AF-S (S-AF) it behaves like it is on AF-C (C-AF) even though I am not touching the shutter and I have to turn everything off before it thrashes itself to death.
Also AF intermittently stops working on my E620 and sometimes MF too. I also tried to re-install the firmware today but as it is the latest version the upgrade software refused. The last time I tried it AF was still not working.
:(
Regards
Another Dave

davidh
8th November 2010, 05:45 AM
Hi Dave

i didnt have any trouble with the lens prior to this problem - maybe someone else can help you.

i have sent my lens to olympus for repair.

Dave

livingid
8th November 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi Dave
It works today on both bodies! I returned to the default settings in both the GH1 and e620 just in case there was some obscure tweak that I had employed when using them with a manual lens.

If it is a firmware crashing problem then I suppose I can live with it if it does not happen too often. I would like to reinstall the firmware if I can but of course that may not be the issue.

I hope you get your problem resolved and it can be done under warranty.When I bought my e420 with pancake lens the MF failed and it was replaced under warranty. The 70-300mm is a 2nd hand piece of kit and I dread to think what a repair would cost.
Regards
Dave