PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Tripod Quick Release Plate

Graham_of_Rainham
29th October 2010, 07:57 PM
Hi All,

On a shoot today noticed that when I flipped the head on its side to shoot in portrait mode the camera started to rotate on the mounting plate.

The small anti-rotation pin on my QR plate is in the wrong place for my E-3 :(

Anyone know which plates fit the E-3 correctly *???

Thanks

Andrew Riddell
29th October 2010, 09:34 PM
I use a Giottos MH642 QRP and the video pin fits my e510 easily. I don't have an e3, but the screw which fixes the QRP to the camera is mounted in a 2cm slot, so it copes with a range of distance between tripod bush and pin of approx 1-2¼cm. I've used this in portrait with an (old version) 50-200 + ec14 with no problems.

You also need the MH652 mount to take the QRP.

Have a look at http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/manufacturer~categoryid~180~sub~Quick+Release+Plat es+and+Platforms~man~Giottos.html. I bought from them a few years ago, but I haven't checked how competitive their prices are at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

PeterBirder
29th October 2010, 10:01 PM
As Andrew's post says the pin is intended primarily for video camera use in most cases. As the QRP is part of the tripod head and many tripod manufacturers have their own unique designs you will need to check the catalogue of the manufacturer of your tripod, usually available on line. I also don't have an E3 but checked both my E510 and E600 and the recess on both of them is in the same position and doesn't match the pin positions on either the Manfrotto or Cullman heads that I have. Opticron are currently marketing a tripod for birdwatching scopes which has a Manfrotto video head with a QR plate as Andrew describes with slots for the fixing screws but it's a pretty massive beast. Hope this helps.

Regards

David M
29th October 2010, 10:20 PM
See my reply on 4/3 user.

Andrew Riddell
29th October 2010, 10:43 PM
For what it's worth, my MH652 QRA is mounted on a Chinese clone of a Slik trigger ball-head, so there's no issue with mounting Giottos kit on any other make of tripod. For all I know, other manufacturers may have kit with similar capability, but I can say that the Giottos kit is light!

Best wishes,

Andrew

Graham_of_Rainham
29th October 2010, 11:09 PM
I've never understood the need for an anti-rotation pin on a video camera as they are always used in the horizontal plane. :confused:

Unless it's for really fast panning :D

Where the lens has a tripod mount, it's not an issue but my 14-35 hasn't got one, and being a bit heavy is what causes the problem.

I guess I'll have to have a trip up to london (Calumet) and see what ones work with the E-3

Thanks for all the answers.

Rod Souter
30th October 2010, 11:07 AM
I have a Really Right Stuff BOE3-L plate. It works well, the location pin holds the camera and once the tripod is level you can swap between landscape and portrait very quickly.

Rod