PDA

View Full Version : BLM-1 replacement query

Invicta
5th March 2008, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I have a 3-year old original Oly BLM-1 battery. This made me wonder how many times can you recharge an official BLM-1?

I also looked at replacement BLM-1s, does anybody know the official Oly line on these? I.e. do they invalidate the camera warranty?

Could you mix original and replacement BLM-1s in the HLD-4?

So many questions on such a small item :)

PeterD
5th March 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi,

I have a 3-year old original Oly BLM-1 battery. This made me wonder how many times can you recharge an official BLM-1?

I also looked at replacement BLM-1s, does anybody know the official Oly line on these? I.e. do they invalidate the camera warranty?

Could you mix original and replacement BLM-1s in the HLD-4?

So many questions on such a small item :)

I thought I had read that both are good for 1000+ charges. The great thing is that they do not retain a memory hence re-charging before full discharge is not a problem.

I use 2 Oly originals and 4 equivalents. I have had no problems with any of the batteries and have used a mix in the HLD-4 also without problems.

The only issue I have is that their is not enough savings to buy a new lens:(;):D.

PeterD

OlyFlyer
5th March 2008, 08:52 PM
If I am not wrong, the E-500 manual says about 500 charges. Mine gave up after about 19 months, so a 3 years old is I suppose a very good one, but for how long time it will live can not be said. I would say, get a replacement, just in case... but there is no reason to throw away a working battery, could use them alternatingly, but mark the old one.

I guess Oly does not care if we use no-name batteries, but if it explodes in the camera or the grip of course, my guess is forget about warranty claims for the demage. Some say the E-3 does not work with some 3rd party battery, but mine works fine with the one I have. Today I also have three Olympus original, but I feel there is no difference.

shenstone
5th March 2008, 09:03 PM
I've not seen or read anything about clone batteries invalidating warranties.

Of course everything says use only original batteries and charders, but then
How would Olympus know what you had been using?

Like others I run a mix of originals and clones and have seen no problems and at the cost difference I have purchased mainly clones

Regards
Andy

Ijay37
5th March 2008, 10:34 PM
I get the UK Oly mag. and they put list in each copy of items for sale from Oly at a slightly reduced price and they also offer for sale 3rd party batteries so I guess they must be ok to use.
John

Jim Ford
5th March 2008, 11:14 PM
Someone on dpreview did extensive and in depth tests on the BLM-1 and clones. By far the best buy, which was also equal in performance to the Oly BLM-1, was the Uniross VB 104295. Amazon usually have the Uniross ones at the best price.

Jim

scanny
6th March 2008, 01:35 AM
Hi all

I use three blm-1 clones i purchased of fleabay. They were £12 posted from hong kong a pair and ive had no trouble. I dare say they have a shorter charge in them but a spare doesnt take up all that much space does it. ive used clones in my e400 to without issue along with a clone in my old hld-2.

Jim Ford
6th March 2008, 09:13 AM
Battery life is not the only consideration.

A feature that's not often considered is that of short circuit protection. The contributer on dpreview that did a study on BLM-1 clones took this into account. There was one cheap clone readily available on Ebay that had no short circuit protection, and the internal construction was also poor. The Uniross clone scored well on both counts.

Jim

PeterD
6th March 2008, 09:22 AM
Battery life is not the only consideration.

A feature that's not often considered is that of short circuit protection. The contributer on dpreview that did a study on BLM-1 clones took this into account. There was one cheap clone readily available on Ebay that had no short circuit protection, and the internal construction was also poor. The Uniross clone scored well on both counts.

Jim

Jim

A very good pointer for people. Thanks

PeterD

scanny
6th March 2008, 12:33 PM
Ah i stand corrected, i think ill upgrade all my clones now in light of this. Phew

Jim Ford
6th March 2008, 12:55 PM
Here's the relevant posting on dpreview:

http://tinyurl.com/2e2xjz

We're lucky over here compared to the U.S. (for once!), the best value battery (the Uniross) is not available there.

Here's the site with the complete tests:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Jim

OlyFlyer
6th March 2008, 02:18 PM
But...

That site lists my 3rd party battery as a 1300mAh, not as it is a 1500mAh type. I guess battery makers also takes steps forward. That's why just because that site warns for one battery type it is not 100% that he is right. Yes, short circuit protection is important, unfortunately not easy to test without destroying a battery.

There is also a lot of BS going on about the E-3 not functioning with 3rd party batteries, which is also a lie. Of course, there may be batteries not working with the E-3, but I strongly suspect those would not work with any other camera either. I don't think the E-3 is different as for the initial power circuit.

Invicta
6th March 2008, 05:39 PM
Great set of replies.

I have two concerns about a third pary battery:

1) The power ouput would lie within the spec of the camera so as not to cause damage.

2) Quality of the cells so that they would be safe to leave charging. Having seen that item on UK TV of the fire damage caused by charging a faulty cell phone battery (was part of recall by a well known mobile phone maker) it makes you think.

After reading the above I am tempted to go for two UNiROSS as spares.

Looks to me like if Oly would cut the price of their branded BLM-1 battey and they would get a massive increase in sales. What about a UK forum discount price?

Nivek
6th March 2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=BLM-1

Olympus BLM-1 9.99 I did see them at 6.99 but I cant find the site :-(

Invicta
6th March 2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=BLM-1

That looks like a third party battery made by DMS rather than a genuine Oly battery.

Nivek
6th March 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure but I have three of them and they are fine. Can't see any difference in usage times.

OlyFlyer
6th March 2008, 06:12 PM
Great set of replies.

I have two concerns about a third pary battery:

1) The power ouput would lie within the spec of the camera so as not to cause damage. No problem. The worse which could happen is that the 3rd party has more power (power = mAh) but that would only result in more images per charge. The is no risk involved at all, quite the opposite, 3rd party usually has less power.

The thing that could demage the camera is if the voltage would be higher, but I think there is no risk for that, since the voltage is easily and automatically controlled during manufacturing.

2) Quality of the cells so that they would be safe to leave charging. Having seen that item on UK TV of the fire damage caused by charging a faulty cell phone battery (was part of recall by a well known mobile phone maker) it makes you think. There is ALWAYS a risk involved with batteries. The actual power output, if short circuited, is huge. That's why short circuit protection is important, but even so, you can never be sure. In fact, even the Oly original can be faulty, or the camera, the flash or the grip or whatever you use your batteries in can cause the short circuit. It is also important never to keep loose batteries in your bag or pockets. They should be stored in a plastic holder or at least a plastic bag.

Looks to me like if Oly would cut the price of their branded BLM-1 battey and they would get a massive increase in sales. What about a UK forum discount price? Quality warranty has a price, even if it may be made in the same factory. The ones we call 3rd party are probably from the same production line but not passed the QC.

PeterD
6th March 2008, 06:43 PM
That looks like a third party battery made by DMS rather than a genuine Oly battery.

Yes, its quoted as a 'compatible'. The Uniross equivalent is also listed at 15.49 ea.

PeterD

Jim Ford
6th March 2008, 07:51 PM
Amazon's Uniross ones are here:

http://tinyurl.com/387c5k

Currently 9.99, but the price seems to fluctuate - I bought some at 7.99 before Christmas.

Jim

flying haggis
9th March 2008, 05:05 PM

try here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BLM-1-PS-BLM1-battery-for-Olympus-E1-E300-E330-E500_W0QQitemZ270215676236QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48520 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got two batteries for my E1 grip for about 8 each and so far no problems (touchs wood!)

Jim Ford
9th March 2008, 05:18 PM
try here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BLM-1-PS-BLM1-battery-for-Olympus-E1-E300-E330-E500_W0QQitemZ270215676236QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48520 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

O.K., so 7.36 each, plus 3.00 post = 10.36.

The reputable Uniross VB104295 is currently 9.99, but if you get 2 the post will be free. So for 2, the Uniross ones from Amazon are cheaper!

http://tinyurl.com/2j2v5s

Jim

flying haggis
9th March 2008, 05:33 PM
O.K., so 7.36 each, plus 3.00 post = 10.36.

The reputable Uniross VB104295 is currently 9.99, but if you get 2 the post will be free. So for 2, the Uniross ones from Amazon are cheaper!

http://tinyurl.com/2j2v5s

Jim

no Jim the price is for two batteries!

Jim Ford
9th March 2008, 05:46 PM
no Jim the price is for two batteries!

Whoops - sorry!

Jim

Invicta
11th March 2008, 07:46 PM
Following the review posted by Jim I picked the UNiROSS battery as the best replacement. I ordered from Amazon and they arrived today and work fine as expected. The UNiROSS did not come with a plastic cover over the terminals like the original Oly battery has, but you can not expect everything at the price.

PeterD
11th March 2008, 08:20 PM
Following the review posted by Jim I picked the UNiROSS battery as the best replacement. I ordered from Amazon and they arrived today and work fine as expected. The UNiROSS did not come with a plastic cover over the terminals like the original Oly battery has, but you can not expect everything at the price.

Hey, thats a bit of a shock (excuse the pun).For safety reasons it is essential that the plastic cover is supplied. I have several BLM equivalents and ALL were supplied with the covers, including Uniross.

PeterD

Invicta
11th March 2008, 08:26 PM
Well I am shocked too now :eek:

I ordered two UNiROSS, neither has a cover, and judging by the shape of the plastic packaging nor did they intend to include one.

PeterD
11th March 2008, 08:31 PM
Well I am shocked too now :eek:

I ordered two UNiROSS, neither has a cover, and judging by the shape of the plastic packaging nor did they intend to include one.

I thought in this day and age that manufacturers understood the risks and took steps to avoid them. Fully charged and loose in the pocket, these batteries can cause a lot of damage - fire risk being one of them. Was there a warning leaflet with these loose batteries?

PeterD

Jim Ford
11th March 2008, 08:38 PM
Who carries batteries loose in their pockets?

If you look at the BLM-1 you'll see that the terminals are recessed, reducing the likelihood of shorting with, say, a coin.

I carry my batteries in a pocket in the camera case.

Jim

Invicta
11th March 2008, 08:38 PM
I thought in this day and age that manufacturers understood the risks and took steps to avoid them. Fully charged and loose in the pocket, these batteries can cause a lot of damage - fire risk being one of them. Was there a warning leaflet with these loose batteries?

PeterD

Says on the back of the battery:

Do not short-circuit

I guess that discharges (lol) their responsibilities.

Maybe I should write a complaint to UNiROSS.

Jim Ford
11th March 2008, 08:45 PM
This site:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

says for the UniRoss:

'An LRD260 polyfuse for protection against short circuits is fitted. This is rated at about 2.6 amps.'

Jim

Nivek
11th March 2008, 08:47 PM
Who cares about a cover as long as the battery works? it's just a battery lol. Ever heard of clingfilm.

Invicta
12th March 2008, 06:18 PM
News item on the peril of exploding lithium batteries.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2211798/ipod-nano-fire-japan-reported

mas
6th July 2008, 10:13 AM
I'd just like to say thanks for the info in here. That review is excellent - as much for the ones to avoid as anything else.