PDA

View Full Version : Dark Shadow

abacus180
27th October 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi all,
I am new here and a novice.
With the standard lens fitted, sometimes I get a dark top half of a hemisphere shadow at the bottom centre of my images. Any ideas?

gregles
27th October 2010, 09:07 AM
Could be from the shadow cast by the built in flash across the lens hood. Try removing the hood, that should improve things:)

Greg

abacus180
27th October 2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I have just bought an 11-22 lens with a large diameter front lens, how would I take flash photos with that?

shenstone
27th October 2010, 09:44 AM
You need to consider an external flash as the e-500 is not tall enough for the internal flash to reach over the lens when it is being used at 11mm (especially with the hood on)

Try a few shots and you will see what I mean the amount of shadow will change as you move from 11-22 mm

Even with a very small extra flash such as the fl-20 (yes it does work even though it's not listed as compatible) it moves the point of the flash far enough to remove the problem 99%

With a bigger gun such as the FL-36/FL-50 it goes away completely

Also using an external gun will enable you to be more creative

Regards
Andy

abacus180
27th October 2010, 09:55 AM
Can you give me the make, model No of suitable flash units, I think I need one from what you have said.
Many thanks

shenstone
27th October 2010, 11:54 AM
it's not that easy to give make an model as there are so many options. The Olympus models are as per my siganture

FL-36
FL-36R,
FL-50
FL-50R
FL-20

I've got them all and they all work fine

There are lots more described in the various posts in the flash section of this forum http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

This site lists many options http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash2.html

What you need to do is decide what power and size you want which will effect the price. All of the guns above (and almost everything on the market) will be more powerful than you have built in your camera so no problems if the one built in is good enough for want you want.

Flashguns are often available via places like eBay, but it's very important that you check compatibility in the forum or specs because there are many devices that work on different voltages. If you are at all unsure stick to the Olympus models

Regards
Andy

abacus180
27th October 2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks, I'll go for the FL20 I think as a starter.
One other problem keeps cropping up is that sometimes I think I have taken a photo and when I look at the screen, it shows a "white balance" error with a blue band top and bottom on the screen and no picture has been taken. Do you know why this happens?

abacus180
28th October 2010, 02:35 PM
Any takers for this question?

Thanks, I'll go for the FL20 I think as a starter.
One other problem keeps cropping up is that sometimes I think I have taken a photo and when I look at the screen, it shows a "white balance" error with a blue band top and bottom on the screen and no picture has been taken. Do you know why this happens?

gregles
30th October 2010, 09:52 AM
I have never encountered the white balance error you have described before so cant help unfortunately.

Pehaps another member will be able to assist.

Sorry

Greg