PDA

View Full Version : BLM-5 battery

Ian
26th October 2010, 04:35 PM
Just to let you know that the BLM-5 will charge on an older BCM-1 or BCM-2 charger, but you can't charge BLM-1s on the new BCM-5 charger. BLM-5 batteries can be used with any E-System camera that uses BLM-1s.

Ian

graham_jester
7th November 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Ian
I'd be grateful if you could clarify the use of BLM-1s with the E-5.
Until now I've been using an E-30 +HLD-4 Grip + 2xBLM-1s.
When the E-5 was announced, I sought clarification from Olympus Europe re the above and was advised "yes the HLD-4 and BLM-1 battery will be compatible with the E-5".
However, I'm now confused by the advice in this Compatibility chart, which advises that using BLM-1s with E-5 is NR - not recommended.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/downloads/Battery_Compatibility_Chart_final.pdf
Given that I purchased an E-5 yesterday and spare BLM-5s are not yet available, I'm keen to determine whether or not BLM-1s may be used.
Thanks
Graham

catkins
7th November 2010, 08:25 PM
Hi Ian
I'd be grateful if you could clarify the use of BLM-1s with the E-5.
Until now I've been using an E-30 +HLD-4 Grip + 2xBLM-1s.
When the E-5 was announced, I sought clarification from Olympus Europe re the above and was advised "yes the HLD-4 and BLM-1 battery will be compatible with the E-5".
However, I'm now confused by the advice in this Compatibility chart, which advises that using BLM-1s with E-5 is NR - not recommended.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/downloads/Battery_Compatibility_Chart_final.pdf
Given that I purchased an E-5 yesterday and spare BLM-5s are not yet available, I'm keen to determine whether or not BLM-1s may be used.
Thanks
Graham

However, at the bottom of the table, re the use of BLM-1 battery with the E-5, they state: (I have added bold)
"NR" NOT RECOMMENDED: Operable combination but Olympus recommends the usage of the BLM-5.
This I take to mean - it will work but the combination is not recommended (this is inline with the forthcoming EC safety standards for 2011 that led to the new battery being introduced)

The use of the BLM-5 with the BCM-1 and BCM-2 is noted as:
"NO" NO: None functional combination.
This I take to mean - charging the new battery will not work in the older chargers, which seems contrary to Ian's initial posting?

Regards

Ian
8th November 2010, 09:31 AM
However, at the bottom of the table, re the use of BLM-1 battery with the E-5, they state: (I have added bold)
"NR" NOT RECOMMENDED: Operable combination but Olympus recommends the usage of the BLM-5.
This I take to mean - it will work but the combination is not recommended (this is inline with the forthcoming EC safety standards for 2011 that led to the new battery being introduced)

The use of the BLM-5 with the BCM-1 and BCM-2 is noted as:
"NO" NO: None functional combination.
This I take to mean - charging the new battery will not work in the older chargers, which seems contrary to Ian's initial posting?

Regards

Well, I can only say what I have done and I have indeed charged a BLM-5 in a BCM-1 or BCM-2 charger. You can't charge a BLM-1 in a BCM-5 charger, though. BLM-1 and BLM-5 batteries do appear to be interchangeable in terms of use in cameras. I have used both in the E-5 and in the HLD-4 grip fitted to an E-5.

It may be that it's not recommended that you charge a BLM-5 in a BC-1 or BC-2 charger as the safety mechanism incorporated in the BLM-5 battery is by-passed with this batter/charger combination.

Ian

graham_jester
8th November 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the responses to my question. Having now had the chance to study the E-5 Manual, I note that on P.137, under the heading 'Battery and charger', it includes the following statement:

􀁺 Use the single Olympus lithium-ion battery (BLM-5). Do not use other than Olympus genuine battery. The BLM-1 can be used, however be sure to use the dedicated charger (BCM-1 or BCM-2) when charging it. We recommend using BLM-5.

Does this mean that the safety issue is to do with the process of charging batteries, rather than their actual use in the camera?

Regards
Graham

catkins
8th November 2010, 10:24 AM
Well, I can only say what I have done and I have indeed charged a BLM-5 in a BCM-1 or BCM-2 charger. You can't charge a BLM-1 in a BCM-5 charger, though. BLM-1 and BLM-5 batteries do appear to be interchangeable in terms of use in cameras. I have used both in the E-5 and in the HLD-4 grip fitted to an E-5.

It may be that it's not recommended that you charge a BLM-5 in a BC-1 or BC-2 charger as the safety mechanism incorporated in the BLM-5 battery is by-passed with this batter/charger combination.

Ian

Thanks for clarifying that it is possible. I presume the extra contact in the BLM-5 and presumably its charger is what stops the older BLM=1 battery from being charged in the new charger.
There seems very little reason for the new battery given in the Olympus website apart from vague mention of new Lithium ion safety standards so it's hard to work out what, if any, issues could ensue. But, whatever the reason, the good news does seem to be that Olympus have ensured that our stock of BLM-1 batteries still have a use if we're lucky enough to end up with the E-5 in our camera bags!

Ian
8th November 2010, 10:46 AM
There have been various stories about lithium ion batteries overheating and the threat of explosion. I'm only guessing, but this probably refers more to the charging process. The extra contact on BLM-5 batteries most likely incorporates an additional circuit designed to stop charging if the battery exhibits dangerous characteristics (overheating, for example) while charging. Cameras don't normally overheat batteries in use, so there is less of a safety issue when the battery is in the camera.

Ian

David Morison
20th December 2010, 06:54 AM
I have recently taken delivery of an E5 but before I made the decision to buy, I contacted Olympus Europe to qualify the use of BLM-1 in the camera. I already have a E30 and six BLM-I so this was a crucial factor. Their answer was unequivocal:

" The BLM-1 Li-Ion battery can be used in the E-5 camera and there are no restrictions in usage. Please make sure you will use the BCM-1 or BCM-2 battery charger in order to charge the BLM-1 Li-Ion battery."

So that's OK then and I can confirm that they work fine. As to the non-Olympus batteries, the one supplied with my E30 failed after 13 months whereas the after-market ones are still going strong!

Regards

David

Makonde
20th December 2010, 10:29 AM
That's also in the manual - p 137 (the manual can be downloaded free online if prospective owners want to have a look - I posted the url in another thread recently)

The BLM-5 has 8% more capacity than the BLM-1, is white and must be charged on the correct charger (see Ian's post which crossed with this). Otherwise no difference.

Ian
20th December 2010, 10:57 AM
That's also in the manual - p 137 (the manual can be downloaded free online if prospective owners want to have a look - I posted the url in another thread recently)

The BLM-5 has 8% more capacity than the BLM-1, is white and must be charged on the correct charger (see Ian's post which crossed with this). Otherwise no difference.

As I have previously mentioned, a BLM-5 will charge in a BC-1 or BC-2 charger, but I personally would not recommend it.

Ian

Makonde
20th December 2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks - how about the other way round?

Ian
20th December 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks - how about the other way round?

No. You can only charge a BLM-5 in a BC-5 charger as the battery has the extra safety circuit required by the charger.

Ian

Melaka
20th December 2010, 12:26 PM
No. You can only charge a BLM-5 in a BC-5 charger as the battery has the extra safety circuit required by the charger.

Ian

Sorry to be pedantic but I think what you mean is "You can charge only a BLM5 in a BC5 charger".

Ian
20th December 2010, 12:38 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but I think what you mean is "You can charge only a BLM5 in a BC5 charger".

Haha! Much better to say that a BC-5 can only charge a BLM-5.

Ian

David Morison
20th December 2010, 05:33 PM
The choice of charger for me is academic as I have one of each included with my E30 and E5. As for the 8% more capacity this is only of minor interest to me as the ZD300mm eats them up with so much glass to move on AF. As after-market BLM-1s are available pretty cheaply these will be my choice until after-market BLM-5s are readily available.

David