PDA

View Full Version : 70-300mm for 244.94 with code AW10

Jim
5th March 2008, 12:12 PM
Just a heads up on this lens at Dixons. In stock at time of posting

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=868060&source_id=aw&camp_id=DVD+Bargains

Evo
5th March 2008, 02:52 PM
You must be psychic or something!

I've just received my 70-300mm from the same company with the same code this morning. I saw an old post on some forum somewhere from last year saying Dixons were cheap for this lense so after checking around decided to buy one from there.

Just out of curiosity, I put "Dixons Coupons" or somthing like that in Google and came up with a site with a list of money off coupons to use. It let me use the AW10 coupon so I ordered there and then. That was Monday afternoon and I received it this morning, which is pretty good service (even thought they say it will take 5 working days).

I wasn't truly prepared for just how substantial it is compared to the 40-150mm though!

theMusicMan
5th March 2008, 03:56 PM
Great deal this. Good luck with your new lens Evo. It really is capable of some excellent results.

Rod Souter
7th March 2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I bought one for 244.94 delivered:D

I ordered on the web at 20:00 05/03/08 delivered today at 14:00.

I had been watching one on e-bay, it went for 254 + 8.99p&p:eek:

Now I have to try and learn how to use it effectively:rolleyes:

Rod

Babs
10th March 2008, 04:29 PM
Great offer Jim, thanks for sharing :)

Jim
10th March 2008, 04:35 PM
no problem, hope it helps folks out :D

sidy2001
10th March 2008, 05:10 PM
Had a look and i see that they are out of stock at the moment.

Cheers Sid

Jim
10th March 2008, 05:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Sid, I guess at that price stock has been flying off the shelves :)

I guess they will be back in stock soon.

robertsonk
10th March 2008, 08:24 PM
Have no fear, they are available on E-bay, I have just bought one for for 244 + 5 P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200205451376&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010

Happy shoping, theyve got 9 left I think.

Kevin

Jim
10th March 2008, 10:21 PM
he states:

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS MODEL NEEDS TO BE PRE-ORDERED AND HAS AN ORDER LEAD-TIME OF APPROXIMATELY 2-4 WORKING DAYS.

So don't think he has it in stock.

robertsonk
10th March 2008, 10:59 PM
Jim

Ive ordered so will let you know.

To be honest, if it arrives in 2 to 4 days at this price I will be quite happy. :)

Kevin

Jim
11th March 2008, 09:11 AM
Cool Kevin, hopfully they are quick to ship.

Didn't see anything indicating UK stock but they do mention 12 month warranty, is that with them or Olympus?

robertsonk
11th March 2008, 10:11 AM
Jim

Youi are right that the supplier isnt stocking in the UK but importing, although he has confirmed to me this morning that delivery wil be 3-4 days, brand new,boxed etc with Olympus warranty.

Ill let you know at the end of the week, fingers crossed.

Kevin

Jim
11th March 2008, 04:40 PM
noticed that as well as being out of stock, Dixons have added £30 to the price :eek:

robertsonk
17th March 2008, 08:13 PM
Ok, so the lens has turned up (6 days in total, although this did span a weekend).

Everything is hunky dorey, apart from the paperwork all being in Japanese. This isnt a real problem as the Oly Worldwide Warranty etc is all included, the only issue is I dont have any english instructions to explain all the wonderfull markings along the lens eg: 1:8, 1:12 etc, are these guides as to magnification?

THe service from the supplier was very good, and this is brand new Olympus boxed stock (just imported from Japan I guess), all in all though I cant fault it for just under 250.

Kevin

RogerMac
17th March 2008, 08:47 PM
You would not be any the wiser if you had the English version. I have and there is only one very brief multilingual description which does not mention those markings.

One point to look out for is that there has been a recent firmware update to the lens so it would be a good idea to check and see if your one needs that update.

Roger

robertsonk
17th March 2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks Roger, I have checked the firmware and it says that I do not need to upgrade. Per the camera is says the lens firmware is v 1.1, is that the latest?

So back to the markings, have you worked out what it all means, I'm a bit new to this so any advice greatly recevied :)

Thanks

Kevin

RogerMac
17th March 2008, 09:14 PM
Firmware 1.1 is the latest version

No I have not worked out what the markings mean. Must be just one of life's little mysteries I suppose. However it does not stop me appreciating a wonderful budget lens.

Roger

theMusicMan
17th March 2008, 09:23 PM
Have to say Kevin, you really do have a cracker of a lens there. I absolutely love my 70-300mm.

I wish you the very best of shooting with it sir.

robertsonk
17th March 2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks Musicman, I have to say its pretty frustrating getting home tonight after dark and not really being able to play with the new toy! So far its been close up zooms of a Heinz Tomato Soup Tin and my FL-36 flash for assistance !

As a more experienced user, can you shed any light on the markings on the side of the lens eg: 1:8; is it to do with life size magnification?

Thanks

Kevin

theMusicMan
17th March 2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks Musicman, I have to say its pretty frustrating getting home tonight after dark and not really being able to play with the new toy! So far its been close up zooms of a Heinz Tomato Soup Tin and my FL-36 flash for assistance !

As a more experienced user, can you shed any light on the markings on the side of the lens eg: 1:8; is it to do with life size magnification?

Thanks

KevinHey Kevin - sorry, but I can't. I simply look through the viewfinder, point, focus, and shoot...):)

I will have a look when I get back home though, am in the Netherlands right now... bored in an hotel room!