PDA

View Full Version : E5 Cheaper in USA

gooner3900
22nd October 2010, 07:17 PM
Why are the americans getting the e5 cheaper than the UK is there some difference in the spec. If you go on to amazon.com the price for the e5 pre order is $1699.99 at todays exchange rate of 1.56 = 1089.73 even if you add vat at 17.5% it only comes to 1280.44. Now I would not want to buy from the states but it does beg the question why it costs more in the UK.

Janet
22nd October 2010, 07:39 PM
Because they think we're mugs and can be fleeced at every opportunity?

Janet

jonsey
22nd October 2010, 07:51 PM
its not called treasure island here for nothing.....:eek:

Melaka
22nd October 2010, 08:22 PM
Don't forget that US prices seldom, if ever, include the state sales tax. There may also be import duty in addition to VAT.

Jim Ford
22nd October 2010, 08:31 PM
Why are the americans getting the e5 cheaper than the UK is there some difference in the spec. If you go on to amazon.com the price for the e5 pre order is $1699.99 at todays exchange rate of 1.56 = 1089.73 even if you add vat at 17.5% it only comes to 1280.44. Now I would not want to buy from the states but it does beg the question why it costs more in the UK.

It's always been the way,
in rip-off U.K.

Jim

michaelavis
22nd October 2010, 08:48 PM
It's pervasive across all sorts of products, clothes, cars, food as well as electronics. You only have to look at sites like the us apple store compared to the uk apple store.

I've worked for US companies for the past 20 years and have been in product marketing in that time. We applied a pricing "uplift" that varied according to the product but ranged from 5% to 40%. In our case this was due to:-

- extra cost of doing business in the UK (e.g. higher employment costs)
- the different pricing structure in the UK (e.g. higher list, higher discount)
- market dynamics and competition (e.g. what the customer would pay)

In our case, the first two items were calculated by our finance organisation, but the biggest influence on the uplift was the third one. The UK organisation was simply expected to deliver a larger margin than other countries and I imagine that's the one that is influencing most of what we see for things we buy today.

Andel
22nd October 2010, 09:34 PM
It will be even more expensive when the rise in VAT kicks in

Len

Cathrine Stephansen
25th October 2010, 06:51 AM
Oh, stop complaining. Try Norway. :D:D

wanderer
25th October 2010, 08:58 AM
Oh, stop complaining. Try Norway.

Hmm, I went on holiday to Norway 30 years ago.
Train from Bergen to Oslo to Trondheim & cycled back to Bergen.
Lovely country, like Scotland x2.
I reckoned a week in Norway would cost the same as 2 weeks anywhere else in Europe.
Not come across anything to change my mind which is a shame as I would like to go back.

Duncan

Who's_E
25th October 2010, 09:14 PM
Oh, stop complaining. Try Norway. :D:D

True, I watched the 2006 Champions League Final there and had to ration my 15 to a pint in each half.

Nick