PDA

View Full Version : 14-54 lens a good un :-)

Kiwi Paul
21st October 2010, 08:01 PM
I first used the 14-54 about 9 months ago, it was the MK2 version and I was well impressed but I reluctantly sold it to raise funds after buying the 14-35, something I always regretted (selling the 14-54 that is). I have just bought a MK1 version and instantly was reminded why I love it so much, perfect size, weight, focal length, reasonably fast (f2.8-3.5), smooth operation and a really good value for money lens. To be honest I prefer this lens to the 12-60!!! Ooooh I know controversial!!! but that's how much I like it!!

It's not an SHG lens but still performs superbly.

It's ideal for my hill walks especially when coupled to the E520, a very portable combination that doesn't weigh me down capable of stella results.

Paul

jonsey
21st October 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Woofmix,
couldn`t agree more, probably the best lens i have at the moment (mkii)... great images from this lens... better than the 12-60?... hmmmm. :)

Ross the fiddler
22nd October 2010, 12:22 PM
When the E30 & 14-54 II lens came out, I drooled over the combination (I didn't even look at the more expensive stuff), but I went for the lens first being within a price range I could convince my wife to let me spend & used it on my E520. It was certainly nice with it & I got the E30 a year later. The Mk II is useful for the occasion when live view with face recognition is useful for above the heads crowd shooting for which the Mk I wouldn't serve. The quality from the lens is really nice.

stevednp3
22nd October 2010, 12:53 PM
I agree its a great lens, it was a sad day when I sold mine to fund the 12-60mm, I wouldnt say its better but for the quality and price difference if I had the choice again I think I'd stay with the 14-54 *yes

theMusicMan
22nd October 2010, 12:58 PM
I agree its a great lens, it was a sad day when I sold mine to fund the 12-60mm, I wouldnt say its better but for the quality and price difference if I had the choice again I think I'd stay with the 14-54 *yes
Blimey Steve, I was considering selling my 14-54 to part fund the 12-60, but am beginning to have second thoughts now.

stevednp3
22nd October 2010, 01:25 PM
Blimey Steve, I was considering selling my 14-54 to part fund the 12-60, but am beginning to have second thoughts now.

Hi John, oh no dont let me put you off, if you can afford to do it then its worth every penny, the 12-60 is sharper and much faster focusing. I used to throw away so many photos due to out of focus, but since having the 12-60mm I very rarely have out of focus photos.

If you have had the 14-54 for a while like me, then you will be very pleased with the 12-60 as an upgrade. If you was upgrading from the kit then I'd suggest the 14-54 :D

*chr

andym
22nd October 2010, 01:30 PM
Don't get me wrong I love my 12-60 and it is my normal walk around lens.I do quite a lot of building shots and does have barrel distortion at the wide end ie 12 mm.
Luckily I have the 7-14 which does not suffer the same but do not always carry it.

I'd not get rid of my 14-54 as I find it a great carry round on the E420.

StephenL
22nd October 2010, 01:31 PM
In my view the 14-54 sits better on the majority of cameras - even the Pen! I used to find the 12-60, excellent though it was, was just too fat to be comfortable.

Wee man
22nd February 2011, 10:41 AM
Got a 14-54mm how do I tell if Mk1 or II? Is it weatherproof? Thanks.

StephenL
22nd February 2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, it's weatherproof. It's a Mk 2 if it has a "II" on the side label.

Ross the fiddler
22nd February 2011, 10:59 AM
Got a 14-54mm how do I tell if Mk1 or II? Is it weatherproof? Thanks.

The markings for the Mark II is beside the distance scale & reads as follows

14-54mm
1:2.8-3.5 II

Yes, it has weather sealing.

Wally
22nd February 2011, 11:01 AM
The Wee Man beat me to it. I've had a 14-54 for quite a while and wondered how to tell the difference... now I know. Ta muchly. *chr

Ross the fiddler
22nd February 2011, 11:16 AM
The Wee Man beat me to it. I've had a 14-54 for quite a while and wondered how to tell the difference... now I know. Ta muchly. *chr

And StephenL beat me by 2mins to answer (he must have been still typing when I started). :D

Wee man
22nd February 2011, 11:20 AM
Many thanks all, now I know I have a MKI what are the differences and which one do people think is best and why. (answer in not less than one thousand words on an A4 page for next Tuesday) Sorry but as I typed I could hear my old teacher giving out homework. Any help gratefully received.
Of to try it out on some snowdrops.

Ian
22nd February 2011, 11:25 AM
Many thanks all, now I know I have a MKI what are the differences and which one do people think is best and why. (answer in not less than one thousand words on an A4 page for next Tuesday) Sorry but as I typed I could hear my old teacher giving out homework. Any help gratefully received.
Of to try it out on some snowdrops.

Glass-wise the Mark I and II are identical. The Mark II has a more circular shaped iris for better bokeh hot spots, and its focus motor is fully tuned for live view. But the lens hood mount is different and you can't fit the Oly ring flash to it directly any more.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
22nd February 2011, 11:42 AM
Glass-wise the Mark I and II are identical. The Mark II has a more circular shaped iris for better bokeh hot spots, and its focus motor is fully tuned for live view. But the lens hood mount is different and you can't fit the Oly ring flash to it directly any more.

Ian

Also the Mark II has a slightly different scaled aperture through the centre zoom area & can have a marginally larger aperture for a longer zoom compared to the Mark I version, possible due to the more circular design of the blades.

StephenL
22nd February 2011, 11:50 AM
Because it's optimized for live view it focusses MUCH faster on m4/3.

PS I only type with one finger, but that one finger is quick (when it doen't make mistooks).