PDA

View Full Version : New E-420 DSLR and 'pancake' 25mm f/2.8 Digital Zuiko announced

Ian
5th March 2008, 05:27 AM
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/e420-plus-25-mm-pres-size-.jpg

Olympus has kept this one close to its chest and this morning revealed an updated E-410, complete with continuous live view AF, improved sensor, face recognition and the option of a 25mm 'Tatsuno quality' f/2.8 ultra compact prime standard lens.

Here are the news releases:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/03/olympus_e420_dslr_revealed.php

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/03/ultra_compact_25mm_f28_pancake_digital_zuiko.php

Ian

steverh
5th March 2008, 07:09 AM
Looks fantastic - and as for that lens! Can a few more primes be far behind? Lots of people have asked for them. 12mm would be nice!

I guess that the E-520 must be on its way as well.

E-P1 fan
5th March 2008, 07:32 AM
Surely that's gonna make big inroads into the dslr market! Looks great. Is the age of digital primes upon us at last :)

emirpprime
5th March 2008, 08:26 AM
Lets hope so. Well, atleast a few more. They've promised a 100mm macro already, but like Steve said, a 12 or 14 mm one would be really relly good :D
Still can't wait to go try one of these out :)
Phil

DTD
5th March 2008, 08:34 AM
Still can't wait to go try one of these out :) Phil

Ditto next to an ultra wide, a pancake's top of my lens wish list.

Scapula Memory
5th March 2008, 09:01 AM
What an excellent package. Very tempted by this as a second camera and lens when the need is to travel light, though in danger of making my P&S redundant!

250swb
5th March 2008, 09:06 AM
This is fantastic news and it has to be a great way for Olympus to edge into the Nikon and Canon market.

I would think that many Canon and Nikon users can only dream of a very small camera that takes their lenses. Well, this could be a toe in the door for Olympus, even if those people only buy it as a carry around camera to start with. The Nikon FM and pancake lens combo had a great following amongst enthusiasts, but the E420 will appeal across the board, especially to the P&S upgraders who are a little scared of the intimidating size and complication of DSLR's (I don't think they will go for the pancake option though).

I can't wait to buy both the lens and body (although if the surely to be released 'E520' with IS was the same size I may wait for that?).

Ian
5th March 2008, 09:08 AM
What an excellent package. Very tempted by this as a second camera and lens when the need is to travel light, though in danger of making my P&S redundant!

There are a couple of 'serious' compacts out there (excluding the ridiculously expensive Leica M8) like the Ricoh GR-D II and the fortcoming Sigma DP1. Both these have prime lenses, though wider at 28mm equivalence.

I think the E-410/20 with the pancake almost becomes small anf light enough to be a serious alternative.

What about that lens, though - is 25mm wide enough?

Ian

Steve Lane
5th March 2008, 09:20 AM
This is very exciting news! I am pleased that Olympus are continuing the 400 series, as it represents true portability, especially with the new 25mm lens. It reminds me more and more of an OM camera/lens combo.

Nice one Olympus! Lets hope there are more small primes in the pipeline - something like a 10mm f2.8 would be simply marvelous.

My son is presently saving his pennies for a 410, but it looks like the 420 may be on the market by the time he has enough cash!

Barr1e
5th March 2008, 09:21 AM
Here is an extract from a link which you will find below:

With a focal distance equivalent to 50 mm on a 35 mm film camera lens, this standard pancake-type lens provides an image angle very close to that of the naked eye. The result is a near-natural visual field that makes this an ideal standard lens for daily use, whether for simple snapshots or for more sophisticated portrait and landscape shooting.

http://tinyurl.com/2t65sh

Regards. Barr1e

biggles3
5th March 2008, 09:24 AM
An interesting addition to the Zuiko stable - can a faster pro version be that far off?

Has anyone any idea how you'd attach a filter to the 25mm lens?

Ian
5th March 2008, 09:27 AM
An interesting addition to the Zuiko stable - can a faster pro version be that far off?

Has anyone any idea how you'd attach a filter to the 25mm lens?

43mm filter thread :)

Ian

ianc
5th March 2008, 09:33 AM
It looks a great walkabout package but I think the 25mm might be a bit lost on the E3.

Ian C.

Ian
5th March 2008, 09:35 AM
It looks a great walkabout package but I think the 25mm might be a bit lost on the E3.

Ian C.

Haha - yes, I can see people coming up and asking about the rather pretty body cap :D

Ian

HughofBardfield
5th March 2008, 09:59 AM
43mm filter thread :)

Ian

I know I shouldn't carp - but why the !@#*&%$! couldn't they have made it 49mm to match the OMs!!!! I could have reused my OM filters.

About time Oly produced some more primes. This one will certainly be on my wish-list, although a 14mm (or wider) would be nicer still. It's a shame it's only f2.8 as well...

Perhaps Ian can persuade Oly to offer a 25mm up as a comp prize? :D

emirpprime
5th March 2008, 10:20 AM
There have been discussions over whether Oly can go much wider with a pancake due to rear focussing distances. Anyone know wnough technical stuff to comment?

Perhaps the next thing will be the standard grade ultrawide zoom. At the moment I'm looking at a 420 with 25mm and 8mm as a carry around pack. I know the 8mm isn't small, but it gives a unique view suitable for landscapes if your careful and also confined spaces. However an ultrawide zoom, if in the size region of the 2 kit zooms would be great :)
Phil

ps - second vote for the 25mm prize :D I know we've got one comp going already, but how about a UK only e-group one ;)

David M
5th March 2008, 11:06 AM
I know I shouldn't carp - but why the !@#*&%$! couldn't they have made it 49mm to match the OMs!!!! I could have reused my OM filters.

That's one thing that used to annoy me about the DZ lenses, every new lens seems to have yet another size filter thread compared to the old OM lenses.

But I can't remember the last time I used a filter. I still carry my ND grads but I'd rather do an HDR image these days.

shenstone
5th March 2008, 12:15 PM
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/e420-plus-25-mm-pres-size-.jpg

Olympus has kept this one close to its chest and this morning revealed an updated E-410, complete with continuous live view AF, improved sensor, face recognition and the option of a 25mm 'Tatsuno quality' f/2.8 ultra compact prime standard lens.

Here are the news releases:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/03/olympus_e420_dslr_revealed.php

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/03/ultra_compact_25mm_f28_pancake_digital_zuiko.php

Ian

Hey Ian .... Never mind prizes I would like to be the first to offer to do a full review of this excellent - purpose designed outdoor/caving camera... small light and will fit in my pelibox and work with the rest of my E-System acessories... BTW I know that this is pushy, but I do write for some caving magazines and am serious. If Olympus are interested I have an editor who is very interested get them to PM me or put me in touch !

Regards
Andy

Hiding_Pup
5th March 2008, 12:18 PM
I like the new mode dial finish - looks very Canon G9-ish

Ian
5th March 2008, 02:08 PM
Hey Ian .... Never mind prizes I would like to be the first to offer to do a full review of this excellent - purpose designed outdoor/caving camera... small light and will fit in my pelibox and work with the rest of my E-System acessories... BTW I know that this is pushy, but I do write for some caving magazines and am serious. If Olympus are interested I have an editor who is very interested get them to PM me or put me in touch !

Regards
Andy

Mmmmm... you never know. :)

Ian

Ian
5th March 2008, 02:09 PM
There have been discussions over whether Oly can go much wider with a pancake due to rear focussing distances. Anyone know wnough technical stuff to comment?

Perhaps the next thing will be the standard grade ultrawide zoom. At the moment I'm looking at a 420 with 25mm and 8mm as a carry around pack. I know the 8mm isn't small, but it gives a unique view suitable for landscapes if your careful and also confined spaces. However an ultrawide zoom, if in the size region of the 2 kit zooms would be great :)
Phil

ps - second vote for the 25mm prize :D I know we've got one comp going already, but how about a UK only e-group one ;)

The 8mm is remarkably compact compared to some lenses - like the 7-14 for example :)

Ian

emirpprime
5th March 2008, 02:11 PM
Lol, yeah, the 7-14 is a beast! And while its great not having much distortion, desfishing software does a good job (I haven't tried the function built in to Oly Studio but have heard very good things).

Phil

emirpprime
5th March 2008, 02:12 PM
Just make sure you get permission to put it up on the fourthirds-user wiki! ;)
Phil

emirpprime
5th March 2008, 02:55 PM
Engadget have posted a hands on (well, series of photos) from CEBIT here (http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/05/hands-on-with-olympus-e-420-the-worlds-smallest-dslr/)

Gives you a good look at the new handgrip. Other than that very little difference. That 25mm really is small though :)
Phil

E-P1 fan
5th March 2008, 03:03 PM
There are a couple of 'serious' compacts out there (excluding the ridiculously expensive Leica M8) like the Ricoh GR-D II and the fortcoming Sigma DP1. Both these have prime lenses, though wider at 28mm equivalence.

Ian

Just been looking at the Sigma DP1 on DPN.

I wonder what the rrp of that will be?

I like it

Ian
5th March 2008, 03:23 PM
Just been looking at the Sigma DP1 on DPN.

I wonder what the rrp of that will be?

I like it

Sigma DP1 - 549 if I recall.

Ian

E-P1 fan
5th March 2008, 03:53 PM
Sigma DP1 - 549 if I recall.

Ian

Hmmn thanks... another 3 year wait till some s/hand ones hit the market :(

Sam M
5th March 2008, 04:22 PM
It looks pretty interesting. I've never accepted all the 4/3 versus 35mm full frame arguments, but if it does lead to significantly smaller cameras and lenses, then, for me the format really starts to make sense.
Sam.

Paddy
5th March 2008, 06:56 PM
This does look nice. Small too but pity there is no IS, which an old guy like me needs! So to supplement my E-330 I will either wait for the E 520 ( Sounds like a BMW model!) or find a used E-510. The new lens is a useful addition though and if it is as good as the old OM 50mm is, then it will be a winner.

Paddy.