PDA

View Full Version : Lancashire meet-up anyone?

Janet
21st October 2010, 01:48 PM
Does anybody fancy a Lancashire or North West meet?

There seem to be a few of us on here, so perhaps it's time we met up and had a bit of fun?

I live very close to Pendle Hill, home of the Lancashire Witches...a fabulously atmospheric place at any time, but superb at the moment with the autumn colours.

Within walking distance from my home I have two rather nice stately homes...Gawthorpe Hall in Padiham (a National Trust property) and Towneley Hall in Burnley (run by the local Council). Both have extensive grounds and many photo opportunities, particularly Gawthorpe Hall, with easy access to the banks of the River Calder and a pleasant stroll up to Hagg Wood.

I'm also only a bus ride away from the Fylde coast...yes, that's a posh way of saying Blackpool! A much maligned place, but stuffed full of photo opportunities...a newly designed promenade with art installations, Blackpool Illuminations, Stanley Park, Blackpool Zoo etc...and of course, lots of opportunities for people watching!

Perhaps we could get a few suggestions going and try to organise something? I'm a bit restricted, as I don't drive, so I'd prefer something that I could get to on a bus route, but all suggestions will be welcome!

Janet

yorky
21st October 2010, 02:22 PM
As long as you don't come on a broom :-) ? Yes I would be interested. Pity about Blackpool, you just missed the 125th tramway celebrations. They had some really old timers out, A lot of the photographers were around that age too!

Janet
21st October 2010, 05:56 PM
Sorry to have missed that! I only get to Blackpool when I'm staying with my friends near Preston.

Got one last time though!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5000139279_37e49750b5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetstansfield/5000139279/)
GOLDEN TRAM (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetstansfield/5000139279/) by Janet Stansfield (http://www.flickr.com/people/janetstansfield/), on Flickr

Janet

meach
21st October 2010, 07:05 PM
Count me in - depending on when and where of course.

Janet
21st October 2010, 07:09 PM
Nice one Paul! Let's hope we can get a few more interested...?

Suggestions as to when and where are very much open to discussion.

I've been learning on my own since I bought my Oly last year, and I'd really love the chance to meet up with fellow Olympus users.

Janet

yorky
22nd October 2010, 08:43 AM
I like the golden tram shot, there are a few on this site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelsy/5036893324/

theMusicMan
22nd October 2010, 01:19 PM
I'd possibly be interested in this if it were on a weekend (or poss a Friday) and someone could meet me at a train station and if we were to go for scenic stuff.

ewan
22nd October 2010, 03:35 PM
I'd be interested too. It would have to be a Friday or Saturday though.

meach
22nd October 2010, 03:54 PM
I'd possibly be interested in this if it were on a weekend (or poss a Friday) and someone could meet me at a train station and if we were to go for scenic stuff.

Shouldn't be a problem - happy to pick you up.

theMusicMan
22nd October 2010, 03:54 PM
Shouldn't be a problem - happy to pick you up.
Very nice of ya, thanks. Might very well be on the cards then, depending when and where.

Janet
22nd October 2010, 05:32 PM
Well, so far we've had interest from :-

Janet
Yorky
Meach
TheMusicMan
Ewan

Obviously all dependent on dates/venues etc.

My preference would be a weekend, as I work through the week and have no holiday days left to take.

Somebody at work suggested this idea today...

http://www.visitlancashire.com/panopticons/about-panopticons

Something a little different, with a bit of something for everyone? Unusual architecture/sculpture, fabulous scenery (given some decent weather!) and many wildlife opportunities.

With a bit of careful planning we could possibly fit all four in, ending up with The Halo as it becomes illuminated in the evening...

Just an idea...let's hear yours!

Janet

yorky
25th October 2010, 01:45 PM
I keep thinking of going to see the Panopticon....s, I have seen the one over Wycoller, must admit I thought someone had dumped there? thats me..a Phillistine but the others seem to have more about them.

Janet
25th October 2010, 01:57 PM
We took a trip to see the Halo on Saturday night...it certainly looked good all lit up in the darkness with the moon in the background.

I made a total hash of the photo's though!

Janet

meach
25th October 2010, 02:21 PM
Somebody at work suggested this idea today...

http://www.visitlancashire.com/panopticons/about-panopticons

Just got around to looking at this and it sounds ideal for a get together. Weekends also suit me best - and preferably quite soon before all the Autumn colours disappear.

Could someone (theMusicMan perhaps) make this a sticky so it comes to the attention of other potential participants?

theMusicMan
25th October 2010, 03:50 PM
Just got around to looking at this and it sounds ideal for a get together. Weekends also suit me best - and preferably quite soon before all the Autumn colours disappear.

Could someone (theMusicMan perhaps) make this a sticky so it comes to the attention of other potential participants?

Done... *chr

yorky
25th October 2010, 05:21 PM
Halloween at Barley???? No we would probably all get locked up?

David.M
25th October 2010, 07:31 PM
I'll be up for a meet, time and place depending of course.

yorky
27th October 2010, 05:25 PM
Just a thought, have you ever been to the industrial steam railway at Preston

Janet
27th October 2010, 05:44 PM
I've never been, although I pass it several times a month whilst visiting friends in Freckleton.

I visited the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway this summer, and it was fascinating, so that would certainly tick all the boxes for me. It's also a bit easier for me to get to by public transport!

There's a huge choice of possible venues here in Lancashire...perhaps it would be a good idea to find out where people were intending to travel from and then we could narrow down the choices to try and find something that's within reasonable travelling distance for all?

More suggestions would be good! As Meach commented, if we're going to go for a landscape type of meet, then we really must get out act together before we lose the autumn colour.

Janet

Janet
27th October 2010, 07:38 PM
OK...we need to decide on a venue, so I have a suggestion...

Blackpool! Pretty easy for anyone to get to either by driving or public transport.

There's the prom with all the artwork installations, the beach & piers, opportunities for people watching/street type shots...

I've also just been reminded about Stanley Park...checking the website it seems that if we're prepared to do a bit of walking then we'd also be within easy reach of Martin Mere which should suit anyone who's interested in birds/wildlife.

There's also Blackpool Zoo?

Thoughts and comments please....

Janet

David.M
27th October 2010, 07:42 PM
There are a few nature reserves out that way which may be a good day. Though, I think most of the wildlife will be hibernating. I went up and took some shots on the East Lancs railway on sunday. It makes for an interesting place to shoot with the steam trains and the Irwell Valley making a great back drop.

meach
28th October 2010, 07:31 PM
OK...we need to decide on a venue, so I have a suggestion...

Blackpool! Pretty easy for anyone to get to either by driving or public transport.

There's the prom with all the artwork installations, the beach & piers, opportunities for people watching/street type shots...

I've also just been reminded about Stanley Park...checking the website it seems that if we're prepared to do a bit of walking then we'd also be within easy reach of Martin Mere which should suit anyone who's interested in birds/wildlife.

There's also Blackpool Zoo?

Thoughts and comments please....

Janet

Sounds as good as anywhere to me - what does everyone else think?

Janet
28th October 2010, 07:50 PM
Blackpool gets my vote...

I simply love the place, as there's so much to do and see...

Any more suggestions, or should we just put it to a quick vote and make a decision?

We can talk about this until the cows come home, but if we're going to do it, then we need to decide on a venue and a date and get something going!

Blackpool may not be everyone's first choice of venue, but I think there's enough in the area to satisfy most folk.

I'm going away tomorrow for the weekend...I hope by the time I get back that we've had some sort of concensus on a possible venue so that we can progress this!

We've had some excellent suggestions...let's just pick one to start, and hopefully it will take off and then we can follow up on the other ideas.

Procrastination is the thief of time...

Janet

David.M
28th October 2010, 08:01 PM
Blackpool sounds a good bet to me

yorky
29th October 2010, 07:58 AM
I am not against Blackpool.but remember it can be very cold and windy in winter.. also, the central promanade and sea wall is in bits and likely to be for another 3 years. I was there for the recent festival of 125 years of trams. Martin mere is about 40 miles away, its at the other side of the river Ribble, in fact its nearer to Southport. You do need transport to get there.

sapper
29th October 2010, 10:20 AM
I am in Cheshire 28th November if the meet is still on then.

Janet
29th October 2010, 10:55 AM
Sorry, my mistake...fat fingers!

That should of course have read Marton Mere...

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Services/M-R/MartonMereLocalNatureReserve/

Janet

meach
20th November 2010, 11:21 PM
I am in Cheshire 28th November if the meet is still on then.

That's next weekend - shall we arrange something. Or should we all accompany Janet to wherever the brass band is playing?

meach
5th April 2011, 05:55 PM
Shall we start again? Any suggestions?

Janet
5th April 2011, 06:18 PM
Good idea now that the weather has improved a bit!

Just make sure that anywhere suggested is on a bus route, as I don't drive!

Janet

meach
11th April 2011, 12:06 PM
Looks like just me and you Janet!!

Janet
11th April 2011, 05:41 PM
Perhaps if we make a decision on a date and venue we might get some more?

Come on guys - we missed the autumn colours last year - if we carry on like this we'll miss them again!

Let's have some suggestions and get this show on the road!

Janet

photonutter
16th April 2011, 11:32 PM
I'd need a couple of weeks notice for a week end meet, but would be up for a meet anywhere in the region. Most midweeks I'm pounding the streets of Liverpool, just so much to shoot no matter what subjects your into, nearly always some festival or other happening.

yorky
22nd April 2011, 10:40 AM
Tis a shame no one seems to want to take photo's in Lancashire, some folk are quite nice you know:-)! How about fixing a day out in the Pendle area

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/medium/Camelia1.jpg