PDA

View Full Version : Buachaille Etive Mor

Steve Roughley
4th March 2008, 08:25 PM
7 vertical shots stitched together with autopano. taken at 12mm f10.

http://www.steveroughleyphotography.com/Etive2.jpg

Comments welcome.

Steve

emirpprime
4th March 2008, 08:30 PM
Stunning! Absolutely stunning. I don't see anything to improve really. Its much better than many of the photos at the Britian On View exhibition in London (http://www.britainonview.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/BOVFrontEnd.woa/wa/static?name=newspage&sessionid=esCgMXFAwiDZ8klGYYmqJ0) I saw at the weekend.

All the best,
Phil

snaarman
4th March 2008, 08:32 PM
Fantastic! Must look incredible as a Big Print :-)

Pete

Pete_VN52
4th March 2008, 08:38 PM
Wow... :eek:

Nick Temple-Fry
4th March 2008, 08:46 PM
If only I had a wall big enough to do this justice.

Nick

Zuiko
4th March 2008, 09:24 PM
Perfection!

Also brings back memories, it's been a long while since I climbed that one....

Zuiko

ianc
4th March 2008, 09:35 PM
Steve,

Firstly let me say I love this image but as you've posted it in looking for perfection I'm going to be picky. I think it is a little over saturated and I would crop it a little more on both sides to cut out the some of the burnt out area on the left and cut out your shadow on the right. It would also be better if you posted the picture a bit smaller so it would all be displayed on screen at the one time. But apart from those small criticisms you have achieved your looked for perfection.

Ian C.

Jim
4th March 2008, 09:40 PM
Nice shot!

Agree with the slight crop suggestion.

OlyPaul
4th March 2008, 09:44 PM
Wonderfull Pano. I agree with Ian about the slight crop on the left and saturation.

Jim Ford
4th March 2008, 10:04 PM
Great shot(s) - I wish it had been as clear as that when I went up it a few years back. I didn't see a thing in the cloud!

I agree with others about the saturation.

Jim

Barr1e
4th March 2008, 10:27 PM
Another great image Steve. I think this is perhaps the best and you have have some pretty good ones in the gallery.

Kind regards. Barr1e

250swb
5th March 2008, 09:52 PM
Nice picture and composition, but given you want a critique, tape over your Saturation slider so you can't use it anymore. The picture is wildly overprocessed. Less is more.

sapper
12th March 2008, 12:03 PM
Craking shot Steve.
I would have burnt in the top left corner but apart from that, brilliant photo.
How do you find Autopano? I want to use it in conjunction with Lightroom, any comments on this?
Dave.

HughofBardfield
12th March 2008, 01:30 PM
Stunning shot. I agree about the crop and lightening up on the saturation a little, but it's very impressive!

Rawcoll
12th March 2008, 05:43 PM
Cracking image! If it was me I wouldn't crop the ends: the shadows on the right hold the eye in the frame and the brilliance of the left sets the scene. Over-saturated? Well, I wasn't there when you took it, so can't comment, but I like the rich colours which give the eye something to settle on in the centre of the frame. Everyone has a different idea of perfection, but I'd be darned pleased if it were mine.

Regards
Ian

Steve Roughley
12th March 2008, 08:46 PM
Craking shot Steve.
I would have burnt in the top left corner but apart from that, brilliant photo.
How do you find Autopano? I want to use it in conjunction with Lightroom, any comments on this?
Dave.

Autopano is the easiest stitch program I have ever used. You just import your images and it does the rest. It does it rarther well to.

Why dont you give it a go. Download the trial
http://www.autopano.net/

Steve

Graham_of_Rainham
12th March 2008, 10:08 PM
As a panoramic it's meant to be dramatic. We simply don't see this way so this type of shot is always going to be "Larger than Life".

Whatever It's Very Very Good and looks like you've developed the technique to a really high standard.

Can't wait to see more of your panos

Graham

sapper
12th March 2008, 10:08 PM
I did download the trial but could not import the resulting pano into back Lightroom to edit.
It said that the file was too big.
Can you import the pano into your editing programme?
Dave.

Steve Roughley
13th March 2008, 08:30 PM
I did download the trial but could not import the resulting pano into back Lightroom to edit.
It said that the file was too big.
Can you import the pano into your editing programme?
Dave.

I use CS3 and dont have any problems. All my work after auto pano is in PS.

When you render your pano you can alter the size and dpi. try a slight reduction.

Steve

steverh
14th March 2008, 01:01 AM
I am in the "crop the left hand side" group. The very bright area is distracting and you could easily lose some of the grass.

Apart from that, it's a stunning image. I can't say if the colour is over the top because I wasn't there, but maybe it's a little overcooked.

shenstone
14th March 2008, 10:27 PM
I am in the "crop the left hand side" group. The very bright area is distracting and you could easily lose some of the grass.

Apart from that, it's a stunning image. I can't say if the colour is over the top because I wasn't there, but maybe it's a little overcooked.

Agreed... Leave the right as it would unbalance things, but the left can go ever so slightly

Like some of the others I like plenty of saturation, but maybe the reds in the stream do look a little over done

I would happily find this a large wall to go on !

Regards
Andy