PDA

View Full Version : E520 great camera

Kiwi Paul
15th October 2010, 12:22 AM
I've just got an E520 as a backup camera. I forgot what a delightful camera it is to use though. I was silly enough to sell my original E520 after I got my E3.
The functionality, ergonomics and features make it a great camera even coupled to the SHG lenses.

When I get the E5 I'll be selling the E3 and keeping the E520 as it's smaller, lighter and basically not a bad camera at all, a great backup. Yeh the viewfinder is a bit like looking through a tunnel but it's not really that much of an issue. In it's own way it's sort of one of those cameras we will look back on and think "Hmmm, that was a nice one", not a classic but not far from it.

AND also if you attach it to the 90-250 lens you can put it in the lens case, still close the case and carry another zoom lens in the front pouch (7-14, 14-54, 12-60 or 14-35)!!!

Paul

benvendetta
15th October 2010, 12:33 PM
I use my E-500 as an E-3 backup. Although older and less well specified as the E-520 it is still a damn fine camera and a joy to hold (and it has the legendary Kodak sensor *yes)

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2010, 12:56 AM
I still use my E520 after the initial, "I wanna play with my new E30" phase had passed. I had bought it with the ZD 70-300 lens but still had the twin lens on my first Olympus, the E420. When I was able to buy another 40-150 cheaply, I gave the E420 kit to my son.

When I went to the airport to see my daughter off I was actually pleased to be able to take a nice light twin lens outfit instead of the heavier E30 kit that normally has all the extras with it. Another occasion was a year 12 (school) graduation where I had the E520 with the 40-150 lens & FL50 flash & the E30/14-54 II with the FL50R happily snapping away with both & getting nice results.

My only regret with my E520 is I've stuffed the connecter on it, so I keep a card reader with it for photo downloads. Actually, damaging the connecter gave me the excuse to get the E30.

jonsey
16th October 2010, 05:23 AM
I've just got an E520 as a backup camera. I forgot what a delightful camera it is to use though. I was silly enough to sell my original E520 after I got my E3.
The functionality, ergonomics and features make it a great camera even coupled to the SHG lenses.

When I get the E5 I'll be selling the E3 and keeping the E520 as it's smaller, lighter and basically not a bad camera at all, a great backup. Yeh the viewfinder is a bit like looking through a tunnel but it's not really that much of an issue. In it's own way it's sort of one of those cameras we will look back on and think "Hmmm, that was a nice one", not a classic but not far from it.

AND also if you attach it to the 90-250 lens you can put it in the lens case, still close the case and carry another zoom lens in the front pouch (7-14, 14-54, 12-60 or 14-35)!!!

Paul

woofmix,
i totally get that.. i (very) often grab my `510 and shoot with it...it still produces the goods..

jeff

snag2000
17th October 2010, 08:46 PM
My only (digital) camera and I'm still glad I got it after a few years. It's the perfect size for me. The 420 was just not as comfortable to hold and not much smaller. The E-3 was just too big and heavy (even if I could afford one!). The E-30 was closer, but still a bit on the heavy side. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I'm a little sad that Oly phased out the 5xx line in favour of the 6xx - although, that said, I've never actually held a 6xx.

E-5 sensor in a 520 body anyone?

Ross the fiddler
17th October 2010, 11:11 PM
My only (digital) camera and I'm still glad I got it after a few years. It's the perfect size for me. The 420 was just not as comfortable to hold and not much smaller. The E-3 was just too big and heavy (even if I could afford one!). The E-30 was closer, but still a bit on the heavy side. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I'm a little sad that Oly phased out the 5xx line in favour of the 6xx - although, that said, I've never actually held a 6xx.

E-5 sensor in a 520 body anyone?

I doubt that will happen. I think if Oly are persuaded to produce another DSLR model it would probably be an E6xx series, but then again, unless there is another new model camera using the same battery e.g. a PEN model, then it might make more sense to use the BLM-5 battery. What the heck, just persuade Oly to make an E50! :D

Maczero
13th March 2011, 09:13 PM
I thought that I would bump this. Although I love my second-hand E-1, the E-520 is a really nice camera as well: almost an E-3 lite (the E-30 is a generation further on). It's a pity that it is almost forgotten by comparison to the E-510.

timg
13th March 2011, 10:39 PM
What the heck, just persuade Oly to make an E50! :D

I think that would be a far more likely than a new Exxx body...