PDA

View Full Version : zoom lens

jacqui
14th October 2010, 01:28 PM
Hi, I have recently bought the e-520 and I have the 40-150mm lens, I was looking for a longer zoom for taking photos of birds but I was in for a bit of a shock when I saw the prices, I used to have pentax and the lenses were a lot cheaper to come by. Although I have read that olympus lenses are some of the best so I suppose that's why :) just wondered if anyone had any ideas for any cheaper options, even second hand one's like the 70-300mm are still out of my price range and teleconverters are even more. I don't know, maybe an older om lens with adapter? any thoughts/ideas? thanks, jacqui.

StephenL
14th October 2010, 01:32 PM
You can certainly use older lenses, eg Tamron, with adapters which are readily and cheaply available through Ebay. The only problems you will have are that a) you will have to stop the lens down manually and b) you will have to focus manually, which is not so easy on an E-520.

Bear in mind the field of view multiplication factor, which in effect means that a 150mm lens appears as a 300mm lens in 35mm terms.

snaarman
14th October 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi, I have recently bought the e-520 and I have the 40-150mm lens, I was looking for a longer zoom for taking photos of birds but I was in for a bit of a shock when I saw the prices, I used to have pentax and the lenses were a lot cheaper to come by. Although I have read that olympus lenses are some of the best so I suppose that's why :) just wondered if anyone had any ideas for any cheaper options, even second hand one's like the 70-300mm are still out of my price range and teleconverters are even more. I don't know, maybe an older om lens with adapter? any thoughts/ideas? thanks, jacqui.

If you really want cheap, then I guess it has to be a legacy non-zoom lens. I had a lot of success with my Tamron 200mm f3.5, quite sharp really. There are a few name brand 200mm f3.5 or f4 tele lenses out there.

When you get to 300mm you are probably talking f5.6 and maybe less sharp.

You need to get adaptors sorted out of course, but it is probably the cheapest option.

Pete

Who's_E
14th October 2010, 02:50 PM
Jacqui,

There's always this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sigma-DC-55-200mm-1-4-5-6-four-thirds-fit-lens-/180573164623?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item2a0affd44f

Google shopping shows the lens retails new at 110ish.

Reviewed here:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/si-055-200.html

I have never tried the lens myself but Wrotniak seems to think it is adequate, if not as sharp as the Mk1 40-150mm, probably because it is from the DC range and does not have any APO glass in it. I guess it would do until you get hold of something like the 70-300 and would allow AF with an Olympus body.

As it doesn't offer much of an reach advantage over the 40-150mm I personally would wait to cobble together the extra 200 for the 70-300mm rather than use this as an intermediary. A 200mm (400mm in 35mm terms) lens is not great with truly wild birds. I often have to use a teleconverter on my 50-200mm to get reasonable shots but that is because the birds are wild and I am too lazy to stalk properly!

Nick

Graham_of_Rainham
14th October 2010, 03:20 PM
One of my favorite "legacy" lenses is the Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 It's a bit heavy as it holds the f/2.8 throughout its zoom. The quality is very good but they are hard to find.

There are a lot of 70-300 on eBay, some are quite reasonable, so you can set your limit and wait for a good one to come up at the right price.

CvPiper
15th October 2010, 12:59 PM
I have a couple of OM Manual lens for sale if your interested.

One is a Tamron 80 - 210 the other a Miranda 75 - 300. I had listed them on eBay yesterday but if you wanted to do something with them I can always remove. Both operate very well, the Tamron is great infact, with a bigger max aperture.