PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting read from Biofos (John Foster's site)

Greytop
13th October 2010, 10:24 PM
Perhaps things are not so bad in 4/3rds land after all :)
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/q&a_terada.html

Zuiko
13th October 2010, 11:18 PM
I think the medium to long term future for 4/3 (sharing converged technology with M4/3) is very rosey indeed. However, there is a technology lag between what Olympus aspire to and what is currently possible. The real crux is EVF performance (which has improved dramatically in the last few years and continues to do so) and focusing speed with the Pens. Once these two issues have been resolved there really will be no need for a budget/mid range SLR, provided a mirrorless body of appropriate proportions is produced.

The problem is we are not there yet and I do think that Olympus are very premature in ditching the whole range of 4/3 bodies bar the E-5. Realistically I don't think we could expect a complete range of E-4XX, E-5XX, E-6XX and E-3X to be maintained whilst the Pen series is being so actively developed, but just one, say an E-6XX, would have made all the difference. Not everyone wants a camera as big and robust as the E-5, or can afford it.

Zuiko
13th October 2010, 11:48 PM
It's interesting that Terada-San implied that Olympus had the option of the new Panasonic 16mp sensor for the E-5 but chose not to use it. In this (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dslrmagazine.com%2Fdigital%2Fte cnicas-de-fotografia-digital%2Fcharla-con-panasonic-2.html) interview Panasonic seem to be telling a very different story, that they denied Olympus this sensor to maintain a competitive advantage. If this is true Olympus need to make long term plans to drop Panasonic and shop elsewhere, making sure that any future innovations they should make for MFT are reserved for themselves. :(

snaarman
14th October 2010, 07:29 AM
I would not be happy to end up with a stark choice: Keep your 4/3 lenses and buy the only remaining 4/3 body, the E-5 (too big, too heavy and too expensive for me) -or- sell all your lenses and start again in m4/3 (I don't think so...)

I might be convinced with a halfway camera: A mirrorless, built in EVF, E620 size bdy that uses my 4/3 lenses. Now that would be tempting, surely it could be engineered out of the EP-2 technology right now...*

However - those of us (a large proportion of the population over a certain age) who are long sighted find focussing and composing from rear screens simply useless, so don't force us to use them or we might jump ship:)

Pete

*If you need more space for the EVF, get rid of the on-board flash. I wonder how many people use it ;-)

Ian
14th October 2010, 07:59 AM
I would not be happy to end up with a stark choice: Keep your 4/3 lenses and buy the only remaining 4/3 body, the E-5 (too big, too heavy and too expensive for me) -or- sell all your lenses and start again in m4/3 (I don't think so...)

I might be convinced with a halfway camera: A mirrorless, built in EVF, E620 size bdy that uses my 4/3 lenses. Now that would be tempting, surely it could be engineered out of the EP-2 technology right now...*

However - those of us (a large proportion of the population over a certain age) who are long sighted find focussing and composing from rear screens simply useless, so don't force us to use them or we might jump ship:)

Pete

*If you need more space for the EVF, get rid of the on-board flash. I wonder how many people use it ;-)

I think the offer will be a larger and more comfortable (for larger hands and lenses) Micro Four Thirds body (maybe not even branded Pen, as that stands for ultra compact) that will take Four Thirds lenses via the Ft/MFT adapter.

I use on-board flash all the time and it also functions as the controller for wireless remote flash control.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
14th October 2010, 11:50 AM

I would want the flash for remote triggering too.

snaarman
14th October 2010, 12:22 PM

I would want the flash for remote triggering too.

Oooh. I feel a vote coming on ;)

Pete

Zuiko
14th October 2010, 12:35 PM
Give us a bigger body, which we need for the bigger lenses anyway, and we can have both!

benvendetta
14th October 2010, 12:40 PM
I use the on-board flash as a.............flash,from time to time as it is 'always there'. However, when one of the larger HG or SHG lenses are fitted to either my E-500 or E-5 there is invariably a dark shadow on the lower part of the image :(. Only my FL-50R can overcome this.

OlyPaul
14th October 2010, 04:12 PM
I think the offer will be a larger and more comfortable (for larger hands and lenses) Micro Four Thirds body (maybe not even branded Pen, as that stands for ultra compact) that will take Four Thirds lenses via the Ft/MFT adapter.

I use on-board flash all the time and it also functions as the controller for wireless remote flash control.

Ian

The question is how long before this mythical beast appears that can keep up with a Exxx and give as good results for sports and fast action photography as we get now with 4T and good glass and are people going to wait for it or move on. Lets face it you do not see many Pens doing fast action photography.;)

crimbo
14th October 2010, 05:52 PM
Go on...build it into an OM body...the OM-D...
Yes put in an EVF and risk no rear screen on the OM-D1...
Go on Olympus...dare yer!!

iMac
14th October 2010, 06:34 PM
The question is how long before this mythical beast appears that can keep up with a Exxx and give as good results for sports and fast action photography as we get now with 4T and good glass and are people going to wait for it or move on. Lets face it you do not see many Pens doing fast action photography.;)

My thoughts as well Paul, one also has to wonder if the stores that have done well with the E-xxx series is going to do as well with the Pen. I have a feeling that those that look at a Pen or a E-xxx series that has large hands or feels the Pen is nothing more than a point & shoot buy a E-xxx.

However if Olympus drops that line and moves on with the Pen as a replacement sales of Olympus products may suffer and many stores here in Canada at least will likely stop carrying Olympus, I mean lets be honest here C&N have most of the market share.