PDA

View Full Version : Hooray! My 12-60mm is back from repair!

250swb
4th March 2008, 01:24 PM
It has seemed like an age but the lens arrived back from the 12-60mm recall just a few days outside the promised two weeks, but well within Olumpus UK's initial estimate. So full marks. I also got a complimentary Lens Pen :)

The focus now seems even faster than ever, and it locks straight on to difficult subjects it previously took two goes at focusing on before Olympus made the announcement of a few faulty lenses. I'm pretty pleased to have it back because I have been using my 14-54mm in the meantime, and while an excellent lens in itself the 12-60mm is just a bit sharper overall with better micro contrast and edge sharpness. Only noticeable when pixel peeping though.

The only downside I can see is that the lens went back to Olympus with the best part of ten months warranty left on it, and it came back with six months warranty on new parts? Lets hope I don't have to test that anomaly.

Invicta
4th March 2008, 05:52 PM
The only downside I can see is that the lens went back to Olympus with the best part of ten months warranty left on it, and it came back with six months warranty on new parts? Lets hope I don't have to test that anomaly.

I would think the longest warranty would apply. If say the lens had only one month left then the new parts would have a longer warranty. Certainly hope that is the way it would work out. But hopefully you will not have to test it :)

DerekW
4th March 2008, 06:49 PM
When I bought the E3 and 12-60 last November I was told that I got a 2 year warranty - so I would expect you would have the remains of a 2 year warranty - unless you bought it from other sources.

PeterD
4th March 2008, 09:45 PM
I think that you are all correct in your assumptions. The 6 month warranty applies to the repair and is standard whether the the repair was carried out within or outside warranty. In the case of a longer, pre-existing warranty, this takes precedence provided that the repairs were carried out by the manufacturers themselves.

PeterD

250swb
5th March 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry, irony doesn't come across unless I do a ;) or something.

Never having had to claim on one before I didn't realise it was a two year warranty so that is good news. The two years info is buried in the small print of the warranty card, so you'll need your magnifying glass.