PDA

View Full Version : Spring meeting in Newcastle upon Tyne?

Radar
12th October 2010, 08:18 PM
Have been thinking about arranging an Olympus Event/gathering in Newcastle when the weather gets warmer (Yes! I know it's a loooong time until that happens). but before I think more about it and start looking at available weekends; anyone interrested in this? what's on the agenda?

- I have been in contact with Olympus with the possibility to borrow 1-2 E-5's for hands-on testing and the option of borrowing a few HG/SHG lenses so it's possible to try (not trying to put Ian out of business and strongly recommend people to still rent lenses as it's a brilliant possibility to test lenses)

- An informal competition with prices sponsored by Olympus, and no! It's not an E-5 :-)

Anyone interrested?

wanderer
13th October 2010, 08:54 AM
Yes I would be interested.
My passport is still in order.
And who knows some of the Deep Southers or the Welsh Mafia may come along too.:)
Now is about the time to think about it. Good idea.

Duncan

jdal
13th October 2010, 05:49 PM
Count me in, it's only a bus pass away for me.:)

catkins
13th October 2010, 06:02 PM
Sounds good to another northern Oly fan!
Great idea and not before time - contact me if you need any informal 'help' or ideas for locations.

Regards
Chris

Radar
13th October 2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the offer. Got some ideas what to do but appreciate getting help arranging and coming up with ideas. Thinking about getting in touch with one of the Getty photographers living in Newcastle and ask for a "masterclass" with him.

Ulfric M Douglas
13th October 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm interested.
I can give lifts to anyone along the A69 too.

Rod Souter
13th October 2010, 07:30 PM
I'm interested.

Rod

bazza2764
13th October 2010, 07:34 PM
aye would be canny like, see how works going but it would be good

Wally
13th October 2010, 08:03 PM
Howay the lads... *chr sound like a plan, count me in.

Ken Lister
19th October 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm in as well.

Ken

gregles
19th October 2010, 09:07 PM
I am another sweaty sock who would be very interested:)

Ken Lister
21st October 2010, 08:58 AM
Have been thinking about arranging an Olympus Event/gathering in Newcastle when the weather gets warmer (Yes! I know it's a loooong time until that happens). but before I think more about it and start looking at available weekends; anyone interrested in this? what's on the agenda?
Anyone interrested?

As for available weekends, as much advance warning as possible of date would really be appreciated. I provide short break care (weekends mainly) for special needs children and my schedule gets full rather quickly. With a date, I can fit my schedule around it. The only weekend I can't do so far is April 2nd-3rd.

Regards

Ken

Radar
21st October 2010, 10:04 AM
Posted this early to check the interrest in this and as it seemes to be I will get the date(s) set no later than early january.

Wally
21st October 2010, 11:36 AM
I'm away for most of January. Sloping off to Norway for two weeks which can't be changed. February onwards should be OK.

Radar
21st October 2010, 01:18 PM
Norway? If your're in North East England can you buy me some things? ;) Miss the coffe from home :rolleyes:

abacus180
28th October 2010, 06:10 PM
I'd be interested to come along and learn from you guys.

Stephen_M
29th October 2010, 11:38 AM
If I'm free, I'm there.

Garrie
1st November 2010, 10:46 PM
I'm normally back down to Newcastle every month or so.

If its okay i'd like to tag along if I'm free?

Radar
1st November 2010, 11:16 PM
The more the merrier

Radar
14th December 2010, 11:03 AM
I've found 2 dates that might be suitable. Please give feedback if any of these will be OK. May 7th or May 14th? March and April is quite busy in my schedule so I can't do it before this. Anyone?

jdal
14th December 2010, 11:30 AM
May 14th is OK for me.

wanderer
14th December 2010, 01:10 PM
14th sounds good to me.

Duncan

Kiwi Paul
14th December 2010, 04:32 PM
I'm keen too, I can give a lift to anyone South of Aberdeen (who is on route more or less).

I'll stay over at least one night so if anyone else is thinking of staying over too we should maybe book the same accom or at least close by so we can have a few Newcastle Browns to wind down :-)

Paul

catkins
14th December 2010, 04:38 PM
Either date fine with me and PM if you need any help / ideas etc.
I'm sure that there's plenty of good ideas and opportunities being thought about and let's hope that the snow has gone by then to make travel easy :rolleyes:

Regards

Ken Lister
14th December 2010, 08:25 PM
May 14th is good for me too.

Ken

Radar
16th December 2010, 07:34 PM
So May 14th looks like a good weekend? Suits me fine as Diamond League is in Shanghai (Waaaaaay to far to travel for me) and all other gymnastics and athletics events are far away from the North East.

Ulfric M Douglas
16th December 2010, 08:15 PM
I'll put May 14th into my diary ... although the 7th is also fine by me.
I hope the weather's nice.

gregles
16th December 2010, 09:44 PM
14th should be ok for me too:)

Greg

meach
16th December 2010, 10:21 PM
Although I live in Liverpool now, I'm originally from the north-east so would quite like to join you all if that's ok?

Radar
17th December 2010, 09:38 AM
Open for anyone with an Olympus camera or wants to purchase an Olympus camera *yes

maccabeej
18th December 2010, 10:35 AM
I would like to come along but not sure if I can make it yet. A May day in the "lazy wind" - looking forward to it already.:D
Jim

Chemop
21st December 2010, 09:50 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this group, live near Newcastle and am into Oly DSLRs. Thought I was a lone wolf up here. Oly users seem to be thin on the ground hereabouts. I'd be keen to join a Newcastle meet and May 14 2011 is free at present. Kind regards Chemop

Radar
22nd December 2010, 08:26 AM
You're more than welcome. You're just "a stone throwing distance" away from me. Glad to see Olympus users around in North East.

Stephen_M
22nd December 2010, 12:52 PM
I 'm working both dates. :(
But I will be there in spirit.

Ken Lister
22nd December 2010, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this group, live near Newcastle and am into Oly DSLRs. Thought I was a lone wolf up here. Oly users seem to be thin on the ground hereabouts. I'd be keen to join a Newcastle meet and May 14 2011 is free at present. Kind regards Chemop

Some users are closer than you think - I'm only eight miles away.

Ken

Wally
24th December 2010, 01:23 PM
*yes May 14th is looking good atm but will have to confirm nearer the date.

Radar
14th January 2011, 08:33 PM
Just as a heads up: I might not be arranging this as I'm seriously considering jumping the ship to "the dark side". I've been testing the Nikon D7000, D300s and D700 and for my use it seemes to be the way to go. It all comes down to if the E-5 can impress me in the end of this month in Glasgow.

catkins
14th January 2011, 08:55 PM
I can guess that this has taken a lot of thought and consideration, even if only to announce that you 'might' be going over to Nikon. So let's hope that the E-5 answers a few of the concerns that you presumably have about Olys as a future path.

As a Canon EOS user previously, I still keep an eye on other makes - Nikon at one stage came close to tempting me, but Canon would always probably also have some allure.
I feel it a shame that Olympus hasn't kept to a clear enthusiast/semi-pro/pro routeplan for the longer term, as a lot of these types of users will want to ensure that their camera choice will provide continuity of support and progress well into the future. The provision of seemingly just one camera (the E-5) in this type of routeplan makes it difficult to see how Olympus can continue to provide the attraction that it has had until recently. The micro four thirds range I feel is a distraction and not the full answer for the semi pro/pro, which is a shame as those that tend to support Olympus probably would continue to it if there was clarity to this routeplan.
So I hope it all goes well for you whatever the choice - and remember, if the darkside is reached you could always hold a yardsale on a certain day in May!! I'll put a bid in for the 50-200mm!

Regards
Chris

abacus180
15th January 2011, 09:12 AM
Some users are closer than you think - I'm only eight miles away.

Ken

And I live in Whickham

Graham

maccabeej
24th January 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi
Is this going ahead? I am planning to come up for the following week, but to get there for meet up on the Saturday I would have to drive up on Friday. SWMBO is getting antsy about booking accomodation so any indication would save me hours of grief.:(
Jim

Ken Lister
24th January 2011, 01:39 PM
There certainly seems to be enough interest for it to go ahead. If Radar can't organise it, I'm sure someone else will.

Ken

photo_owl
24th January 2011, 03:05 PM
don't want people getting unnecessary grief!

unfortunately I am supposed to be fishing in the CIs that weekend - but then again it saved me a long drive!

hope it all goes ahead for everyone involved - the area looks stunning for landscapes from the evidence provided on here

Ulfric M Douglas
24th January 2011, 06:28 PM
This will be going ahead, so many of us and a firm(ish) date of May 14th.

If that seems a bit far away then let's also have a little jaunt when the weather brightens ... Corbridge is turning into a seething den of forum members it seems ... and surrounded by picturesque landscape. :)

catkins
24th January 2011, 07:27 PM
I think if Radar would like any help I and I'm sure a few others will be more than happy to help with the Newcastle meet.

Probably we should confirm the date asap as 14th May 2011 (provisional at present), so that anyone wishing to organise travel & accommodation can do so.

We can then if Radar wishes sort out ideas and wet/dry alternatives, and if enough interest even split interest groups perhaps?
It would perhaps be useful to have any idea if people wish to stay in the immediate Newcastle area, served by the local Metro / public transport system (central Newcastle out to the coast, or even Durham), or travel further afield which would be more reliant on cars (Hadrian's Wall, Belsay Hall/gardens, etc.).
There's plenty of good pubs in the rural areas and good cafes/restaurants in Newcastle.

Radar - do you want any contact details for us locals - let us know.

Regards
Chris

catkins
24th January 2011, 07:36 PM

If that seems a bit far away then let's also have a little jaunt when the weather brightens ... Corbridge is turning into a seething den of forum members it seems ... and surrounded by picturesque landscape. :)

Good idea, plenty of good walks and scenery around Corbridge - I'm quite happy to be contacted mid-week or weekends if the weather looks reasonable - just use my website email address.

Regards
Chris

jdal
24th January 2011, 08:24 PM
14th is still good for me

Ken Lister
24th January 2011, 08:57 PM

I will be there on the 14th May and on any other 'jaunt' with the 'seething den' that I can manage. Also willing to help with some of the organisation if needed.

Ken

Radar
24th January 2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like I'm putting all change on hold as the horse requires quite expensive treatment for an injury :(:(:( So an eventual change would require me to use the income from selling my stuff and income on various jobs and as of now I don't know how much I'll earn from the next weeks' events :(

So unless I win the lottery I'll stick with Olympus so I'll be participating on the 14th of May. We set that date for the meeting, then.

If anyone wants to help planning and/or have ideas for what to do please contact me and we'll exchange contact details.

Radar
3rd February 2011, 11:37 AM
Been fortunate to afford it and am now making the switch to Canon. So I'm out of this meeting, unfortunately.

Ulfric M Douglas
4th February 2011, 04:11 PM
Well ... let's keep this thread alive, no point starting a new one is there?
Still on for the 14th, and I'm sure the occasional Canon-user would be welcome! :)
What body/lens did you get Radar?

Ken Lister
4th February 2011, 10:28 PM
Well ... let's keep this thread alive, no point starting a new one is there?
Still on for the 14th, and I'm sure the occasional Canon-user would be welcome! :)

I agree. Let's make this happen. I have never organised anything like this before but am willing to help. As far as I can tell some 16 members have confirmed definite attendance or intention to attend if they are free. As Catkins mentioned last week there are plenty of options for places to visit. Can we have a quick poll of people's preferences with wet/dry alternatives? Perhaps then we can make a start on firming up the plans.

Ken

catkins
5th February 2011, 12:00 AM
I agree. Let's make this happen. I have never organised anything like this before but am willing to help. As far as I can tell some 16 members have confirmed definite attendance or intention to attend if they are free. As Catkins mentioned last week there are plenty of options for places to visit. Can we have a quick poll of people's preferences with wet/dry alternatives? Perhaps then we can make a start on firming up the plans.

Ken

Suggestions:
In central Newcastle/Gateshead
- indoors
Sage - free (photography allowed indoors - but also check)
Baltic - free (generally no photography of art installations, but can photograph in public areas generally)
Newcastle keep - charge - good views from roof and interesting inside
Cathedral
Handcock museum (not sure on photography)
Galleries - Laing (not sure on photography)
- outdoors
Quayside / bridges / riverside walks
Grey Street and area - Georgian architecture
Ouseburn - good pubs and old warehouse etc.
Universities - modern architecture
Parks - Jesmond Dene, Saltwell (both slightly out of centre)

By public transport - Metro
- north of Tyne
Tynemouth, beaches, castle/priory, piers, fish quay
- south of Tyne
Abelia roman fort, South Shields, beaches, Souter lighthouse

By train/bus
Durham - castle, cathedral, riverside walks, historic town & buildings
Corbridge & Hexham
Carlisle - historic town, castle

By car
Hadrian's Wall (Hadrian's Wall bus may be running from Newcastle)
Belsay Hall & Garden (English Heritage)
Wallington Hall & Gardens (National Trust)
Gibside Hall (National Trust) & Derwent valley
Woodland Trust woods such as Letah woods near Hexham - good walk & pub (bluebells & native daffodils in spring but may be past)

Eating / Hotels
Newcastle / Gateshead has wide range of facilities
Tyne Valley has some good pubs (as too other areas but I know less in htose areas)

If anyone want to add to this then we could build up a good list of ideas for people to express their opinions - I guess it would be useful to know where people are coming from as that may influence some of the ideas (i.e. no car journeys).
Also if local does anyone want to act as area guides / umbrella holder!!

I hope that this makes a start - and if some ideas already up by the time I post this, apologies, just found water trying to get through a bedroon ceiling :mad:

Regards
Chris

abacus180
5th February 2011, 08:51 AM
Here are 3
Angel of the North
Newcastle Football Ground St James' Park
Leazes Park

Ken Lister
5th February 2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you Catkins and Abacus - some good suggestions.

Newcastle itself is good for architecture and bridges with the benefit of inside the cathedral, if wet, as well as plenty of places for refreshment.
Tynemouth has good options as well, including up the coast to St Mary's lighthouse and Seaton Delaval Hall (NT).
Wallington Hall (NT) and Belsay (English Heritage) are also good.

What about those members coming from further afield - Where would you like to go?

Regards

Ken

Radar
7th February 2011, 01:22 PM
What body/lens did you get Radar?

I ended up jumping on the Canon 1D. MkIII is now selling second hand for around £1000. I haven't bought any lenses yet but have to before I'm going to cover the athletics in Sheffield this weekend. So I'll probably end up with a 70-200 f2.8 and a 24-70 f2.8 and add a wide angle later together with either a 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8.

Stephen_M
7th February 2011, 02:54 PM
Hope you enjoy using your new gear.

As for the meet, I would like to see this become a regular thing. Someone picks a place and people just turn up if they are free. Nothing to organise, just a place and time every couple of months or so.

catkins
7th February 2011, 04:14 PM
Hope you enjoy using your new gear.

As for the meet, I would like to see this become a regular thing. Someone picks a place and people just turn up if they are free. Nothing to organise, just a place and time every couple of months or so.

Always good for that - can you organise the weather as well!!

Regards
Chris

Stephen_M
9th February 2011, 10:07 PM
I'll see what I can do :)

maccabeej
24th February 2011, 12:45 PM
Have just booked rail ticket to come up on Friday and leave Sun morning. Look forward to meeting all of you.
Jim

maccabeej
6th May 2011, 12:41 PM
I presume this is still on, otherwise I need to get my train ticket cancelled.
Jim

catkins
6th May 2011, 03:05 PM
I presume this is still on, otherwise I need to get my train ticket cancelled.
Jim

Well it's all gone very quiet but I still have it as a date on my calendar, so am happy to meet up and help get any e-group visitors out and about to see the sights.

Since Radar was the original organiser I don't know if any 'programme/ideas' were handed over to any other local member, but some ideas have been posted to this thread.
So perhaps we need a quick resume this weekend hopefully to reassure the more distant visitors of
1/. who locally is willing to be a 'host/tour guide'
2/. who will be coming from out of region to Newcastle for the weekend
3/. contact email addresses and more importantly mobile numbers

Then the local members who are able to make it can then sort meeting places, transport for any out of town excursion, basic schedule, etc. to help ensure that visitors like yourself Jim have a good visit!

If anyone wants to PM me for my contact details please don't hesitate!

Regards
Chris

Ulfric M Douglas
6th May 2011, 05:38 PM
I'll be coming along the A69 from Haltwhistle through Haydon Bridge, past Hexham, past Corbridge.
If anyone would like a lift let me know.

What time of the day or days would everyone like to meet up?

Personally I can't do an evening due to small baby ... probably.

Ken Lister
7th May 2011, 09:39 AM
I still intend coming, and am willing to help organise the event.

Ken

catkins
7th May 2011, 01:36 PM
So that sounds like at least four of us at the moment and I'm sure that we'll see more confirm over the next few days!

I've got a few local info leaflets for extra ideas such as 'Public art walks in Tyne & Wear', 'Great Days out', 'Visit Ouseburn', etc., etc., we've got the list of ideas posted earlier, we hopefully know of a few pubs, cafes or eating places, so if any visitor has a particular interest let us know.

Ken - as per your offer are you happy to act as main co-ordinator/contact point, and I am more than happy to give you whatever help that I can?

Ulfric - I may take you up on the offer from Hexham (or to offer you a lift from Hexham) but if we need any more transport for any out-of-town excursion/s than I am happy to provide that as well.

And the rest of you - come on, let's see Olympus paint the toon in some new colours.
The weather forecast looks like the sun may be hiding itself, so be prepared for reflections, close to photo opportunities, and maybe a little indoor. The good news is that my week ahead forecast updates were wrong about the last few days!

Regards
Chris

Ulfric M Douglas
7th May 2011, 07:42 PM
We have to go down to the bridges, and if indoors there are some very interesting sights in the Discovery Museum. I tend to park there too cos its less expensive than the carparks further 'in'.
Free parking would be great but I don't know where that'd be ...

Ken Lister
7th May 2011, 08:22 PM
If no one else will organise the meet then I suppose I will.
Chris - I would welcome and appreciate your help, or anyone elses' for that matter.
As for parking,there is plenty in Newcastle, unless there is a match on - but at a price. Living locally I tend to use the train, but I use the Grainger Town car park when I have to take the car - £4 all day I believe.
I prefer architecture and history, so would remain in the city and could give some guidance on where to visit in this respect.
It would be helpful if those who expressed interest could confirm their attendance to pool cars where possible,arrange itinerary etc.

Regards

Ken

catkins
7th May 2011, 11:13 PM
If no one else will organise the meet then I suppose I will.
Chris - I would welcome and appreciate your help, or anyone elses' for that matter.
As for parking,there is plenty in Newcastle, unless there is a match on - but at a price. Living locally I tend to use the train, but I use the Grainger Town car park when I have to take the car - £4 all day I believe.
I prefer architecture and history, so would remain in the city and could give some guidance on where to visit in this respect.
It would be helpful if those who expressed interest could confirm their attendance to pool cars where possible,arrange itinerary etc.

Regards

Ken

I'll PM contact details to Ken & Ulfric in due course and perhaps others can do the same to at least Ken so we have a tally of who to expect.

Car parks - I too often use Grainger Town car park (beside Express by Holiday Inn & Dance City, opposite Blandford Square & Discovery Museum) so this area could be a good location to base ourselves from, with easy access to Central station for those arriving by train. Perhaps Express by Holiday Inn foyer could act as meeting place?

Locations: Agreed, Central Newcastle (Georgian architecture, modern buildings, etc.), Quayside (bridges, Sage, Baltic, etc,) and perhaps Ouseburn (art studios, Cluny pub, architecture, river, etc.) can be the main interest.
If any desperate desire to see out of town by newcomer to the area, then I am happy to plan and provide transport for an excursion!

If need be, on Monday/Tuesday we can PM/email any others who previously expressed interest to check if still game for coming along.

Regards
Chris

PS Car parking locations for those new to the toon - http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/parkingmapofoffstreetcarparks

Ulfric M Douglas
8th May 2011, 07:44 AM
Looking at the map it seems I always park in blandford Square. At 60p/hour that's also comparable to the Grainger Town multi in pricing up to six hours, so we all agree on the area. *chr

Daytime I have 2 spaces, probably picking up Catkins from Hexham so one space left. Old Volvo 940, safe driver.

Now we have where, time to figure out when.

Ken Lister
8th May 2011, 09:47 AM
Chris - I agree that central Newcastle is probably the best place, and certainly easiest to organise, so I think we should accept that as the firm location.
As for a meeting place, us locals should know our way around Newcastle. If Jim is still coming from the deep south, it may be easier for him to meet us in the Central Station lobby by the main entrance- it is probably the easiest place to find.
I will be in town from about 8am. So how about 9am?

We can decide on how many groups we split into, lunch rendezvous etc when we meet up.

Ken

heyjoe
8th May 2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys

Just joined the group and saw this thread. Are newcomers welcome too? I've just bought an E-520 twin lens kit, I'm based in Ashington, and work in Newcastle City Centre.

I'm free next Saturday and like the idea of getting together with a bunch of people I've never met before to take photographs with.

Joe

gno
8th May 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Joe (heyjoe) and the rest of you guys,

Joe I'm sure I speak for the others in saying you will be most welcome,

Any idea of times at either Sage, Quayside Millenium Bridge, looks like I'm going to be able to make it and will ride my bike up the Keelmans way from Sandancer land to join you.

Regards

Gavin

Ulfric M Douglas
8th May 2011, 05:24 PM
Easy for you to say ;
...I will be in town from about 8am. So how about 9am?
How about 10 a.m,
... with second meeting after lunch at the same spot for those travelling or just doing an afternoon?

Ken Lister
8th May 2011, 06:41 PM
OK we meet at 10.00am at Central Station.

Proposed plan of action:
I suggest we hit the Quayside first (10.15 or thereabouts, Gavin) while we still have strength in our legs to climb back up the hill, then work around the town after that. Go wherever you like for lunch then regroup at Central Station for say, 1.30pm to pick up anyone joining us for a half day. Afternoon activity/ leave taking etc can be arranged at this time.

If you intend coming could you please let me know and what time you expect to join us, so that I have an idea of how many to look out for.

If this is agreeable to everyone, I will post it as final confirmation on Wednesday. Any queries or other problems before then, please.

Ken

catkins
8th May 2011, 10:53 PM
For anyone wanting a good clear but visually simple map of central Newcastle; plus rail, bus, metro stations; main attractions; and the main Q1 & Q2 electric bus routes have a look at
http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/newcastle_tourist_transport_map.png.

I will bring some copies of the map on Saturday.

Regards
Chris

catkins
10th May 2011, 05:30 PM
An extra incentive for anyone trying to decide whether to come to Newcastle this weekend is a fine array of venues to visit:

The Late Shows 2011
Itís that time of year again when venues open their doors
after dark and invite you to come out to play.
The North Eastís fantastic Museums at Night event, The
Late Shows, returns for its fifth year of out-of-hours culture.
And this year a record 46 venues in NewcastleGateshead
are opening their doors to revellers on this legendary
culture crawl.

http://www.thelateshows.org.uk/home.html

http://www.thelateshows.org.uk/LateShowsBrochure2011.pdf

Regards
Chris

Ken Lister
11th May 2011, 03:05 PM
Hello all.

There are no changes to original plans.

Meet at 10.00am at the Central Station. At present, seven members have confirmed attendance. Anyone is welcome even if they have not confirmed - the more the merrier!
First stop the Quayside, Gavin will meet us down there at @ 10.15.
Around the town after that. Lunch at your preferred venue, or a Greggs sarnie, then regroup at Central Station at 1.30pm. John (Jdal) will meet us then, if he can not make the morning session. Afternoon activity/ leave taking etc will be arranged at this time.

The good news is that it will be dry, in between the heavy showers! Visibility is forecast to be very good, with a gentle to moderate breeze. High tide on the Tyne is at noon. Sunset at 21.05 if anyone is staying that long.

See you on Saturday

Ken

catkins
11th May 2011, 05:09 PM
Hello all.

There are no changes to original plans.

Meet at 10.00am at the Central Station. At present, seven members have confirmed attendance. Anyone is welcome even if they have not confirmed - the more the merrier!
First stop the Quayside, Gavin will meet us down there at @ 10.15.
Around the town after that. Lunch at your preferred venue, or a Greggs sarnie, then regroup at Central Station at 1.30pm. John (Jdal) will meet us then, if he can not make the morning session. Afternoon activity/ leave taking etc will be arranged at this time.

The good news is that it will be dry, in between the heavy showers! Visibility is forecast to be very good, with a gentle to moderate breeze. High tide on the Tyne is at noon. Sunset at 21.05 if anyone is staying that long.

See you on Saturday

Ken

Thanks Ken for the update. I'm getting too used to the weather doing its own thing and normally at total varience to the local weather forecast so I will enjoy seeing what we get!

Regards
Chris

Ulfric M Douglas
11th May 2011, 05:40 PM
I just P.M.'d a couple of posters from earlier in the thread.
I have one space left, driving along the A69.

heyjoe
11th May 2011, 07:19 PM
I'll see you all there on Saturday

Just one quick question though, where down the quayside are we meeting Gavin? Its quite a large area. I'm probably parking at Dean Street, so Quayside would be good for me too.

Joe

Ken Lister
11th May 2011, 07:51 PM
I'll see you all there on Saturday

Just one quick question though, where down the quayside are we meeting Gavin? Its quite a large area. I'm probably parking at Dean Street, so Quayside would be good for me too.

Joe

Good question! He said he would find us, a bunch of blokes carrying Olympus cameras should be easy to spot. I would guess near the Guildhall/ under the Tyne bridge, but I am sure he will tell us.

Ken

catkins
12th May 2011, 08:17 AM
Good question! He said he would find us, a bunch of blokes carrying Olympus cameras should be easy to spot. I would guess near the Guildhall/ under the Tyne bridge, but I am sure he will tell us.

Ken

If only Olympus had supplied us with a number of Olympus umbrellas - not for the rain but as the universal tour leaders sign for all her/his followers to home in on!

and can I assume that if Gavin asks any poor innocent Olympus camera users who are just coincidental tourists, that they can be invited to join us as well?? ;-))

Regards
Chris

gno
12th May 2011, 08:00 PM
Hi All,

"Gavin will meet us down there at @ 10.15."
Weather permitting ie the wind has been blowing at 15 -20 mph from the WSW for days which makes cycling up the river via Keelmans way a challenge/ time consuming to say the least at my age.
I'm sure I'll either find you or you me, just look out for knackered old guy riding or pushing a blue Carrera Kraken and if the weather forecast is correct High Vis orange rain jacket.

Regards

Gavin

Chemop
13th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Hi all, I'm planning to be with you tomorrow. I'm coming by train from Corbridge, arriving 9.25, intending to meet you at 10.00 at the station, presumably near the ticket office or just outside the main entrance where the taxis gather. Looking forward to meeting you all, it's a first for me. Like Gavin I'm also getting a bit long in the tooth, glasses, greyish with a short beard - black Lowepro Flipside 200 rucksac! Cheers Peter N.

Ulfric M Douglas
13th May 2011, 06:28 PM
Chemop you got your ticket already?
I can pick you up and ... porbably ... take you back home in the afternoon. Catkins is coming with us from Hexham.

catkins
13th May 2011, 06:45 PM
So by the look of it, the plan is as per Ken's earlier note of

10:00AM - Central Station meet-up for those travelling by train, metro or parking at Dance City/ Discovery Museum, etc.
- shall we meet near Starbucks kiosk (coffee for those waiting) near to the big clock, the Metro and the travel centre?
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/NCL/plan.html?rtnloc=NCL

10:15AM - Quayside meet-up for those parking nearer the river or cycling along the river, etc.
- shall we confirm meeting area is next to the Guildhall carpark behind the Guildhall next to the river, just to the east of the Swing Bridge.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&biw=1177&bih=854&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Newcastle+Guildhall&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=Guildhall&hnear=0x487d857e0c6f64cd:0xbe252b072a76191,Newcast le+Upon+Tyne&cid=10133826060423177364

1:30PM - Central Station post-lunch meet-up
- location as above

I would guess that those walking down from the Central Station may be a little after this time, but with all of the good photo locations in this area if there is any delay you can find a good excuse of how to occupy the time. For anyone able to join us later I assume that we will be in the Quayside area until middish day, but PM/reply here to Ken or myself if you would like a mobilephone number to ring nearer the time.

Now, who's made a note of where all the good coffee shops and food halts are?

I'm also hoping to stay on into the evening to see some of this weekends 'Late Shows' so maybe a few good seating/recovery areas should be part of my plans!

Regards
Chris

jdal
13th May 2011, 06:52 PM
I shall be attending the post-lunch shenanigans so will see you all at Starbucks in the station at 13:30.

should be good.

gno
14th May 2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't make it round, got called in to a job, and by the time I got back and got it sorted out it wasn't worth coming back.
Next meet I bring the car and no phone!
Hope you all enjoyed the quayside and Newcastle/Gateshead in general, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Regards

Gavin

heyjoe
14th May 2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry I to couldnt make it gents, family illness meant staying at home.
Hope you all had a great time, didnt get too wet, and got some good photos.

Joe

jdal
14th May 2011, 08:48 PM
I made the afternoon session and very good it was too. Weather was ok and we even got chased off the John Lewis roof carpark by the security guards, but only after we'd taken plenty shots.

Here's a few, there's a few more on my Flickr stream.

Bums on seats
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141411.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33991)

Detail on St Andrews church
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141408.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33990)

Windows, in the Central Arcade
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141374.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33989)

The refurbed Grainger Market
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141369.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33987)

1890ish Marks and Spencer Penny Arcade
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141373.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33988)

Eat in chinatown at your peril - an open door next to the rubbish bins.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141413.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33994)

The Strawberry pub & St James Park
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141399.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33993)

4 birds and a bloke
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5141388.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33992)

Ulfric M Douglas
16th May 2011, 09:54 AM
Go HERE for the image thread ;
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=115211

The whole thing was very enjoyable ... I'm off to the image thread to post some early pictures ...

*chr

Go HERE for the image thread ;
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=115211

Ken Lister
16th May 2011, 12:50 PM
Some alternative views of Newcastle.

Should've gone to Specsavers
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Coffee_.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34032)

I've seen the writing on the wall
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Wall.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34031)

Sage Roof
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Sage-w.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34030)

Are you sure this is where you lost your penny?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Lost.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34029)

Young Love
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Couple.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34028)

Old Eldon Square reflected in the new.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Chambers.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34027)

catkins
16th May 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone for making sure that this went ahead, and it was really good to put faces to names and to try to match with our avatars/nicknames!

Thanks Ulfric too for the lift in to Toon, and very impressed with your lad's knowledge!

I had a good drink / chat with Jim at the Tyneside Cinema bar and then went with Jim and a friend to Morden Tower and Blackfriars as part of the Late Night event. I ended up nearly inviting a very knowledgeable lady to come and live with me - purely of course because she was so enthusiastic and full of good information about how to look after a Georgian Listed Building - luckily she didn't pick up on the offer and I'm not in the dog house at home! Hope you had a good trip south Jim on Sunday - did you try out any of the ducks that were on show at the back of Chinatown?

Can't believe how lucky we were with the weather, and hopefully by the end of the day I'll have sorted out some photos to link to the other thread.

Regards
Chris

maccabeej
28th May 2011, 08:49 AM
Hi
I have been pretty busy with work and a trip to the Shepherd Neame Brewery in Kent (I was driving :() over the last two weeks, so have just about had time to post pics. I had a great time and thanks for those who organised. It is also great to find out that members of the Forum are as nice in real life as they are online. Chris I would have liked to go down to the castle with you but hunger and tiredness were taking their toll. Hope it was worth doing. I have one shot I missed out - the M&M man. I met him in a cafe before we met up. He was proud of the jacket which he bought in Las Vegas on of of his 8 trips!

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/M_M_Man_May2011-1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34421)

Jim