PDA

View Full Version : Printer advice please

Shaw
11th October 2010, 01:32 PM
I have decided to replace my old Canon iP5000 with an A3 photo printer. My budget is around 400.00. Epson, Canon or HP? Any advice would be appreciated.

j.baker
11th October 2010, 02:22 PM
Do you want a photo only printer or a general purpose printer?

Is the footprint (space needed) a problem?

PC or Mac 32/64bit? Some printer manufactuers have better support for different platforms.

Graham_of_Rainham
11th October 2010, 02:35 PM
It really depends on what it is that you want to print. I do a lot of B&W so the Epson with it's three blacks suits me. I still use my faithful old Pixma with Tesco ink for all the proof work.

Whenever I visit clubs the vast majority print with Epson printers. Yes the ink is expensive, but they do seem to produce the goods very consistently.

Do let us know what you get

*chr

Shaw
11th October 2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks John & Graham

I want a photo printer only and footprint is not a problem. I would mostly be printing colour with the occasional B&W and I have an Intel iMac G5 (OSX 10.6) 64 bit.

Jim Ford
11th October 2010, 03:13 PM
Two things have transformed my printing with my Epson printer:

1) Fitting a continuous inking system, so I don't have to worry about the cost of ink.
2) Calibrating the printer with a 'ColorMunki' so I can get accurate prints with the CIS and any bargain packs of paper I might find (Tescos had Fuji Gloss cheap a couple of years ago.)

Jim

Shaw
11th October 2010, 05:13 PM
Two things have transformed my printing with my Epson printer:

1) Fitting a continuous inking system, so I don't have to worry about the cost of ink.
2) Calibrating the printer with a 'ColorMunki' so I can get accurate prints with the CIS and any bargain packs of paper I might find (Tescos had Fuji Gloss cheap a couple of years ago.)

Jim

Jim

Which type of CIS system do you use?

Gwyver
11th October 2010, 05:53 PM
I have decided to replace my old Canon iP5000 with an A3 photo printer. My budget is around 400.00. Epson, Canon or HP? Any advice would be appreciated.

I now use an Epson R1900 and I'm really pleased with the results. I don't find the standard cartridge ink costs are too great. (My previous printers where HP using multicolour cartridges - with the Epson you only have to replace the specific colour when the ink runs out). I also find that if you ignore the "low ink" warning and continue printing until it reports "cartridge empty" and stops, you can change the cartridge in mid print and resume without any discernable glitch on the completed print.

The R1900 prints A3+ and handles 13" roll paper - great if you intend to print large landscape panoramas. Because it uses separate Matte Black and Photo Black ink cartridges you can happily mix general purpose and photo printing without the bother of swapping the black cartridge.

I also use a ColorMunki for calibrating both the display and printer paper - and suggest that getting one of these is a greater benefit than a Continous Ink System (unless of course you are going in for volume printing).
HTH

Jim Ford
11th October 2010, 07:17 PM
Jim

Which type of CIS system do you use?

It was from these people:

http://www.inkjetrevolution.com

Cost about 30 IIRC.

Jim

Jim Ford
11th October 2010, 07:20 PM
I also use a ColorMunki for calibrating both the display and printer paper - and suggest that getting one of these is a greater benefit than a Continous Ink System (unless of course you are going in for volume printing).
HTH

A CIS _complements_ a ColorMunki. You can easily run-out a new cartridge just calibrating a printer, after faffing around running cleaning cycles!

Jim

sapper
12th October 2010, 07:14 AM
I use an HP and although I am very happy with the quality I would not recommend the make as I have had very bad customer service from them.
I would recommend having prints done by this company, http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/online_photo_printing.cfm. Very good quality, much cheaper than I can print for.
I have no connection with the company apart from being a satisfied customer.

Shaw
12th October 2010, 10:37 AM
I now use an Epson R1900 and I'm really pleased with the results. I don't find the standard cartridge ink costs are too great. (My previous printers where HP using multicolour cartridges - with the Epson you only have to replace the specific colour when the ink runs out). I also find that if you ignore the "low ink" warning and continue printing until it reports "cartridge empty" and stops, you can change the cartridge in mid print and resume without any discernable glitch on the completed print.

The R1900 prints A3+ and handles 13" roll paper - great if you intend to print large landscape panoramas. Because it uses separate Matte Black and Photo Black ink cartridges you can happily mix general purpose and photo printing without the bother of swapping the black cartridge.

HTH

Thanks for the response Chris, the Epson R1900 & Canon 9000 mk11 are ones that I have been looking at.

Shaw
12th October 2010, 10:40 AM
I use an HP and although I am very happy with the quality I would not recommend the make as I have had very bad customer service from them.
I would recommend having prints done by this company, http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/online_photo_printing.cfm. Very good quality, much cheaper than I can print for.
I have no connection with the company apart from being a satisfied customer.

Thanks Dave,

You have given me something to consider. I can see that it is a lot less expensive to go down that route.

maccabeej
12th October 2010, 11:30 AM
I get good results from my Epson 2880 using Ilford & Harman papers with their standard profiles. Both Colour & Mono.

Jim

Shaw
12th October 2010, 09:07 PM
I get good results from my Epson 2880 using Ilford & Harman papers with their standard profiles. Both Colour & Mono.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. I am interested in the Ilford Galerie smooth pearl paper.

maccabeej
13th October 2010, 11:42 AM
I use the glossy more than the pearl but both are nice papers. If you like the Galerie then try Harman FB AL papers which are similar but even better.
Jim

steverh
13th October 2010, 12:13 PM
My advice on A3 printers? Don't! *nono

No one in my club in Bristol now makes their own prints - we all use

http://keynshamphotographicupload.livelinkprint.com/about/index

The prices are unbeatable and the service is excellent. By sizing the images correctly and using their profile, we get excellent A3 images on Fuji Frontier paper for about 2 each.

I have no connection with them apart from as a satisfied customer.

You may get similar deals from a local lab.

Shaw
13th October 2010, 09:33 PM
I use the glossy more than the pearl but both are nice papers. If you like the Galerie then try Harman FB AL papers which are similar but even better.
Jim

Jim I have had a look at the Harman website and see that they are doing the A3/A3+ gloss & lustre at 3 boxes of the price of 2.

Shaw
13th October 2010, 09:36 PM
My advice on A3 printers? Don't! *nono

No one in my club in Bristol now makes their own prints - we all use

http://keynshamphotographicupload.livelinkprint.com/about/index

The prices are unbeatable and the service is excellent. By sizing the images correctly and using their profile, we get excellent A3 images on Fuji Frontier paper for about 2 each.

I have no connection with them apart from as a satisfied customer.

You may get similar deals from a local lab.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I have looked at all the possibilities and will make a decision soon.