PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Open Day + E-5

Barr1e
11th October 2010, 07:23 AM
I'm looking forward to that touch, feel and click moment.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

Regards. Barr1e

benvendetta
11th October 2010, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine that the experience will be vastly different to playing with an E-3 as they are so alike in form.

Graham_of_Rainham
11th October 2010, 02:30 PM
I can't make the 16th. I'm still hopefull that Olympus will do an "Open Day" where we can go along and "try B4U buy" ;)

benvendetta
11th October 2010, 02:36 PM
Most of the decent Oly dealers will be having special events in the coming weeks/month. That's where I got my first feel of the E-3 in late 2007 (that long ago..............? :eek:) at J & A Cameras, Barnstaple, Devon.

Graham_of_Rainham
11th October 2010, 02:42 PM
I really want to try a few things, and take the images away on my card to look at at home. Few, if any, dealers will let you "play" to that level as the camera effectively becomes a "used/demo" item (if they are honest about it)

j.baker
11th October 2010, 02:49 PM
I spoke with SRS earlier, and they will be having demo unit E5s in store to play with. There will be no units for sale on the 16th. However you may want to call them and ask them.

Jim Ford
11th October 2010, 02:57 PM

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

Nope, I'm going to studiously avoid it, even though they're 10mins walk from me!

I was quite happy with my E500, and when SRS first had the E3 in I called in, 'just to have a look'. I went home after and fretted the rest of the day until near closing time - and then rushed back and bought one, complete with the 12-60mm Zuiko.

No, I won't be calling in this time 'just to have a look'!

Jim

Greytop
11th October 2010, 03:16 PM
A new review (in Dutch) http://www.pixelmania.nl/artikel.aspx?rubriekid=2&artikelid=1358 spotted on dpr to wet your appetite :)

AlistairJ
11th October 2010, 04:06 PM
Dutch - detected

To:
English

Conclusion

The Olympus E-5 is a very complete and well-built reflex. A dust-and splash-proof body, a good functioning anti-dust system, live view function with tilt hi-res LCD screen, the body built image stabilization system, a fast autofocus system and a wireless flash system, the most important achievements. Compared with the E-3 seem to changes - new image sensor and processor, HD movie function, art filters and SD slot - initially marginal, but a comparison of test images with the E-3 shows the picture anyway significantly improved. Especially when using high quality lenses the Zuiko Top Pro series delivers the E-5 photos that sharpness can compete with full-frame reflexes. For owners of such lenses, the E-5 is an absolute must. The price of the E-5 body is 1.699, -. Recommended!

benvendetta
11th October 2010, 07:53 PM
An advert for SHG glass then :eek:

Zuiko
11th October 2010, 08:22 PM
Oh good, I don't have SHG glass so I won't need an E-5.........

.......won't stop me wanting one, though - and the SHG lenses to go with it!

Barr1e
11th October 2010, 08:59 PM
Oh good, I don't have SHG glass so I won't need an E-5.........

.......won't stop me wanting one, though - and the SHG lenses to go with it!

If we had been the lottery winners John, Anne and I would have given you an E-5 with pleasure. :tup

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker
11th October 2010, 09:01 PM
If you have won the euro lottery....you could have bought us all one. 113Million. The interest in one year would pay for the cameras!!!

Barr1e
11th October 2010, 10:12 PM
If you have won the euro lottery....you could have bought us all one. 113Million. The interest in one year would pay for the cameras!!!

Generous we may be. However, one would have to be cautious with ones money. :D

Regards. Barr1e

DerekW
11th October 2010, 11:12 PM
This self induced E5 feeding frenzy as members talk up the new product is music to Ian's ears as he can use it to show his sponsors that the fish are taking the bait.

However

I remember the words of anguish and frustration on the forums when the E3 came out, difficult focussing, back focus problems, lens locking pins failing, cameras having to be swapped due to failures and long repair times due to an inadequate supply of spare parts in the Portugal based repair location.

Perhaps Olympus learnt their lesson - I hope so.

Nick Temple-Fry
12th October 2010, 12:06 AM
This self induced E5 feeding frenzy as members talk up the new product is music to Ian's ears as he can use it to show his sponsors that the fish are taking the bait.

However

I remember the words of anguish and frustration on the forums when the E3 came out, difficult focussing, back focus problems, lens locking pins failing, cameras having to be swapped due to failures and long repair times due to an inadequate supply of spare parts in the Portugal based repair location.

Perhaps Olympus learnt their lesson - I hope so.

Against that has to be set the fact that a lot of us, myself included, bought the E-3 when it came out (mine was amongst the first few to be bought, as soon as stocks arrived in the UK) who experienced no problems and have happily been using the camera ever since.

Yes there were a few initial problems with some bodies and this was justifiably upsetting for those impacted, but Olympus has released a lot of models since then with few problems.

Perhaps the very fact that in design terms the E-5 is conservative, building on the proven E-3 body, is a good omen.

Nick

courtox
14th October 2010, 08:03 AM
Bonjour,
how many people can be in the SRS Microsystems shop at the same time and make heavy tests with the E-5?

If I plan to be there with colleague I want to be sure to be able to touch and test the E-5, before buying the airplane ticket from Nīmes to Luton.

Francis

Greytop
14th October 2010, 08:49 AM
Bonjour,
how many people can be in the SRS Microsystems shop at the same time and make heavy tests with the E-5?

If I plan to be there with colleague I want to be sure to be able to touch and test the E-5, before buying the airplane ticket from Nīmes to Luton.

Francis

Difficult to answer your question with any certainty Francis.
SRS now have a much larger shop than they use to so that helps. I would suggest you best course of action would be to contact them to get their opinion. They may know roughly how many people normally arrive for such an open day and of course they should know how many E-5 bodies will be available.
The shop owner is Chris Harland, a very nice and helpful guy.

benvendetta
14th October 2010, 09:22 AM
Difficult to answer your question with an certainty Francis.
SRS now have a much larger shop that they use to so that helps. I would suggest you best course of action would be to contact them to get their opinion. They may know roughly how many people normally arrive for such an open day and of course they should know how many E-5 bodies will be available.
The shop owner is Chris Harland, a very nice and helpful guy.

You MUST be keen!:eek:

courtox
14th October 2010, 09:35 AM
Thank you so much

Francis

Rod Souter
14th October 2010, 10:20 PM
FYI

Another E-5 open day at LCE Norwich on Oct 23

Rod

Zuiko
14th October 2010, 11:33 PM
If we had been the lottery winners John, Anne and I would have given you an E-5 with pleasure. :tup

Regards. Barr1e

That's very kind, Barrie, I'd have done the same for you! :)

Zuiko
14th October 2010, 11:36 PM
An AOL News report stated the basic bank interest on £113 million would be around £8,000 per day. That should stop those nasty overdraft letters from the bank manager.

Ohhhh and I'm all in favour of everyone rushing off to buy the E-5 as I shall be sat here with baited breath waiting for all the unwanted E-3s to appear at knock down prices on Ebay and the For Sale ads in here. *chr

That's probably how I'll get an E-5, when the E-7 comes out.:D

Ian
15th October 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm aiming to be at SRS on Saturday morning for a couple of hours. I'll bring my E-5 along too :)

Ian

Jim Ford
15th October 2010, 09:03 AM
Bonjour,

I live about 10mins walk from SRS and pass them quite often.

It's difficult to say, but I would say that 20 would be a comfortable maximum.

Jim

Melaka
16th October 2010, 06:38 AM
I'm aiming to be at SRS on Saturday morning for a couple of hours. I'll bring my E-5 along too :)

Ian

Hope to see you there.

gooner3900
16th October 2010, 12:12 PM
Well dispite saying it was out of my price range I made the journey down to Watford lucky I was staying at my daughters so the drive was only 11/2 hours.
Had a play with the E5 and ordered one. Now all I have to do is explain to the wife how much money I have spent.

Melaka
16th October 2010, 01:09 PM
I plead guilty to having succumbed as well. The £100 discount on the list price for today was attractive.

AlistairJ
16th October 2010, 01:39 PM
So hands-on folk, what have you to report?

Anything worth mentioning that's not already been described? Like buried menu options etc

*chr

snaarman
16th October 2010, 01:50 PM

Touch the camera.
Feel the need to buy.
Click on the Pin number button?

Barr1e
16th October 2010, 03:29 PM
Touch the camera.
Feel the need to buy.

Been there, done that. :D

Regards. Barr1e

andym
16th October 2010, 03:50 PM
Touch the camera.
Feel the need to buy.

Main reason I kept away.:eek:

Greytop
16th October 2010, 04:05 PM
Main reason I kept away.:eek:

To be honest that's part of reason I didn't attend either, together with the list of DIY jobs mounting up :rolleyes:

Jim Ford
16th October 2010, 04:08 PM
I live the nearest of you all to SRS - 10mins stroll, but kept well away in case I got 'bitten'!

Jim

Ian
17th October 2010, 10:13 AM
I plead guilty to having succumbed as well. The £100 discount on the list price for today was attractive.

Apologies to all if you were looking out for me. My car has just come back from two weeks in the garage having its ignition immobiliser fixed (£350 bill too). But yesterday morning the same problem resurfaced (the key security transponder was not recognised) so I couldn't start the car. What makes it worse is that it's an intermittent problem :( Even if I could get it started, there is no guarantee it would have started on the way home from Watford. Anyway - I hope everyone had a good time at the new-look SRS store (if you haven't already been there) and enjoyed the E-5.

Ian