PDA

View Full Version : An IS question

snaarman
8th October 2010, 03:17 PM
I just had a disappointing experience this lunchtime. I went far a walk and spotted a pair of Red Kites overhead. I shot some pictures almost vertically as they swept by - 300mm focal length, IS mode 1, shutter was about 1/400th. Despite a half decent shutter speed, all of the shots were cmaera-shake blurred. Annoying because I've never had a kite so close with such a long lens before...

So..

How does IS work? And is it possible it doesn't work if you are pointing the camera vertically upwards??

Answers on a postcard please.

Pete

StephenL
8th October 2010, 03:36 PM
Were you panning? IS should be turned off or set to IS2 if so - don't know about vertical shots, though. Maybe it confuses itself!

snaarman
8th October 2010, 03:51 PM
Were you panning? IS should be turned off or set to IS2 if so - don't know about vertical shots, though. Maybe it confuses itself!

I don't think I was panning that much, the bird was wheeling slowly overhead, like they do.. Nothing like a motorbike race type pan.

If the IS works off clever laser gyros then it should work in any orientation. If however its accelerometers or pendulums, then it may have preferred directions relative to gravity, maybe??

Pete