PDA

View Full Version : Teathered Shooting

Graham_of_Rainham
7th October 2010, 11:16 PM
Will the E-5 work with Studio and provide Computer Control *???

Ross the fiddler
8th October 2010, 06:48 AM
Will the E-5 work with Studio and provide Computer Control *???

And my question to add to it is:-
Will there be another new program to buy as an add on to Oly Viewer 2 (or any other method) for camera tethering & control?

Graham_of_Rainham
8th October 2010, 12:36 PM
The solution I'd really love to see is:

Live view stream and image capture direct to the Ipad :cool:

Radar
7th December 2010, 09:43 PM
Tried tethered shooting for the first time as a preparation for a photosession the coming weekend. I installed Olympus Studio 2 and set it up to send all photos to one dedicated folder. Then I set up Lightroom to Auto Update the photos from that folder so I can see and make quick adjustmenst in Lightroom if I want to.

I found the lightroom interface much more user friendly than Oly Studio 2. Probably because I'm used to Lightroom. Worked great!! :)

Graham_of_Rainham
8th December 2010, 08:54 PM
That sounds like a really good workflow.

Please let us know how it goes and show some results of course...

Wreckdiver
8th December 2010, 09:00 PM
Just been trying this myself last week with good results. Using ImageCraft's E-Capture and straight into Lightroom. E-1, E-30 and E-3 all work fine.

Edit: Via a dedicated folder.

Steve

Ross the fiddler
8th December 2010, 09:30 PM
Just been trying this myself last week with good results. Using ImageCraft's E-Capture and straight into Lightroom. E-1, E-30 and E-3 all work fine.

Edit: Via a dedicated folder.

Steve

That sounds nice if you have a user key for Studio. I have the trial version but can't keep using it or update it.

Wreckdiver
8th December 2010, 09:41 PM
I'm not using Studio 2, although I do have version 2.3 on my PC. IIRC with Studio you operate the camera remotely via the computer.

I am operating the camera normally and all my photo's go into a dedicated folder on the laptop via E-Connect. Lightroom then monitors that folder and brings them up on the laptop as I am shooting. Does Studio 2 do this as well?

Steve

Graham_of_Rainham
8th December 2010, 11:52 PM
Have you done a speed comparison between the E-Capture and Studio *???

If you shoot RAW + JPG do both files get transfered *???

Also will it capture images from the PENs *???

Will Santa bring me an E-5 :D

stevednp3
9th December 2010, 01:41 PM
The solution I'd really love to see is:

Live view stream and image capture direct to the Ipad :cool:

You kinda can do it, one option is to use a RDP client app to connect to a computer that has Oly Studio installed and teather shoot like that.

I have done this on my HTC Desire and it works, just not much point with the screen size :o

theMusicMan
9th December 2010, 01:57 PM
From what I can see, E-Capture is a Windows only product - is this correct...?

Shame if so, as I'd have taken a good look at that if it were available for a Mac.

Graham_of_Rainham
9th December 2010, 01:59 PM
At the moment I use a Dell Latitude which works prefectly (but it's old & slow - as am I :o )

I really like the look of the IPad and the 4/3rds ratio screen :cool:

If only there was an "APP" that could display the Live View feed and then transfer the RAW files and put the low res (1024x768) jpg on the screen.

I guess I'll just have to get a new laptop and keep running studio or E-Capture...

stevednp3
9th December 2010, 02:07 PM
At the moment I use a Dell Latitude which works prefectly (but it's old & slow - as am I :o )

I really like the look of the IPad and the 4/3rds ratio screen :cool:

If only there was an "APP" that could display the Live View feed and then transfer the RAW files and put the low res (1024x768) jpg on the screen.

I guess I'll just have to get a new laptop and keep running studio or E-Capture...

If you use a remote control app (RDP client) to connect to a computer that is linked to your camera and running Oly Studio, you can then control Studio via your ipad, the files will be stored on your computer ready for editing and you will see the preview on your ipad.

It will work fine, yes its a work around and not a dedicated Olympus app, but it will do just as good ;)

theMusicMan
9th December 2010, 02:08 PM
Steve - your answers suggest you are technically adept - a lot more than I. Can you advise how I could achieve tethered shooting on a Mac please. I don't own Studio 2.

Wreckdiver
9th December 2010, 02:37 PM
Steve - your answers suggest you are technically adept - a lot more than I. Can you advise how I could achieve tethered shooting on a Mac please. I don't own Studio 2.

Hi John, I have only just started dabbling in this so not an expert. I have a PC, I don't know anything about MACs and I don't think there is a MAC version of E-Connect.

I downloaded the free 15 day trial of E-Capture (http://www.imagecraft.com/) from Imagecraft. This is purely to transfer photos from an Olympus DSLR via the USB2 lead to a designated folder on your PC. The E-Capture software is extremely simple and basic, you just specify the folder and if you want to transfer JPEGs, RAWS or both. At this point if you load E-Capture, connect your camera to the PC and switch it on you will get the Select USB mode on the camera's menu. Select Control and the E-Connect's dialogue will detect your camera and display it in a window. Any photos you now take will be saved in your designated folder on the PC, nothing will go the camera's card.

Then you have to configure Lightroom (I'm using ver 3.3).

Go to File > Auto Import settings, the Auto Import settings dialog opens. Tick the Enable Auto Import at the top. Then you have to set the Watched folder to that which you specified as the designated folder above for E-Connect. You can also set up where your Destination Lightroom folder etc. at this point. Click OK and all is done.

When you now shoot via the USB lead your photos are saved in your desinated folder and pop up in Lightroom. It really is very easy to do.

The only little niggle is that E-Connect doesn't remember where your designated folder is once you exit it; you have to reset it every time you load the program.

I have only had a quick play with Studio 2 and got the camera control working OK from the PC. I don't know if Studio 2 will perform the same function as E-Connect does, I will have a further play tonight.

Hope that helps John.

Steve

theMusicMan
9th December 2010, 02:40 PM
Yep it sure does Steve, thanks.

I know about Auto Import in Lightroom but it looks as though I may need to purchase Studio 2.

Expensive...?

stevednp3
9th December 2010, 03:06 PM

Well I dont know about that ha ha, but I think the only teathered option is on pc via e-connect or Oly Studio there is no mac option

So if you can stretch to one of the above software, you can then use something like Parallels Desktop to run the software on your mac

Now another thing is the Eye-Fi wireless SD card and CompactFlash adapter (im hoping one of these will be in my xmas stocking:D) this will work with mac and you can set the card to auto transmit the images to a folder on your mac, setup lightroom to auto import from this folder and job done you have native teathering on your mac :D

You can get one that has geo tagging as well, so if your out on top of the brecon beacons, you can set the card to transmit the images as you take them to your home computer via your phone network and you will be geo tagged and all ready for editing as you walk through the door

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EYE-FI-2GB-GEO-WI-FI-WIRELESS-SD-MEMORY-CARD-SDHC-/110605484340?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessor ies_MemoryCards&hash=item19c099c134

Hope this helps !!!!

theMusicMan
9th December 2010, 03:42 PM
Well I dont know about that ha ha, but I think the only teathered option is on pc via e-connect or Oly Studio there is no mac option

So if you can stretch to one of the above software, you can then use something like Parallels Desktop to run the software on your mac

Now another thing is the Eye-Fi wireless SD card and CompactFlash adapter (im hoping one of these will be in my xmas stocking:D) this will work with mac and you can set the card to auto transmit the images to a folder on your mac, setup lightroom to auto import from this folder and job done you have native teathering on your mac :D

You can get one that has geo tagging as well, so if your out on top of the brecon beacons, you can set the card to transmit the images as you take them to your home computer via your phone network and you will be geo tagged and all ready for editing as you walk through the door

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EYE-FI-2GB-GEO-WI-FI-WIRELESS-SD-MEMORY-CARD-SDHC-/110605484340?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessor ies_MemoryCards&hash=item19c099c134

Hope this helps !!!!
For this though, don't you have to have access to a wifi connection wherever you are shooting?

Gazza_DJ
9th December 2010, 04:00 PM
For this though, don't you have to have access to a wifi connection wherever you are shooting?

If it supports Adhoc networking (which for such a device, it would be stupid not to), then you can set up a direct peer-peer network between it and a wifi enabled laptop.

EDIT:, aaaaaaaaand surprise surprise, only the most expensive card supports ad hoc networking: http://www.eye.fi/products/compare-cards

stevednp3
9th December 2010, 04:08 PM

Yes, but this shouldnt be a problem for home if you have a router and as gazza states if you get the pro card around 90 on ebay you can then do ad hoc tranfers anywhere without the need for a router.

I think its a small price to pay for almost native tethering on your mac and still cheaper than buying Oly Studio, emulation software and having to use cables :D

Edit - if you have a data plan on your phone, theres a way to do it through your phone too.

Wreckdiver
9th December 2010, 04:09 PM

I know about Auto Import in Lightroom but it looks as though I may need to purchase Studio 2.

Expensive...?

Hope I wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs John, I just went through it all for the benefit of anyone who wasn't familiar :)

Don't know much Studio is.

Steve

Gazza_DJ
9th December 2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, but this shouldnt be a problem for home if you have a router and as gazza states if you get the pro card around 90 on ebay you can then do ad hoc tranfers anywhere without the need for a router.

I think its a small price to pay for almost native tethering on your mac and still cheaper than buying Oly Studio, emulation software and having to use cables :D

Edit - if you have a data plan on your phone, theres a way to do it through your phone too.

If there was an app for Windows Phone, Android or iOS that could take the pictures, resize and compress to say, 1024x and upload to facebook / flickr / etc automagically when out and about, that would be amazing!

theMusicMan
9th December 2010, 04:35 PM
If it supports Adhoc networking (which for such a device, it would be stupid not to), then you can set up a direct peer-peer network between it and a wifi enabled laptop.

EDIT:, aaaaaaaaand surprise surprise, only the most expensive card supports ad hoc networking: http://www.eye.fi/products/compare-cardsExcellent, I didn't know that. Thanks

Edit - if you have a data plan on your phone, theres a way to do it through your phone too.I agree... I might give this a try.

Hope I wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs John, I just went through it all for the benefit of anyone who wasn't familiar :)

Don't know much Studio is.

SteveNot at all... always happy to learn.

stevednp3
9th December 2010, 05:50 PM
Just one more idea John if you need to use the eye-fi card when out and about and the router is a problem. There are apps out there that turn either a iphone or android into a wifi hotspot, creating a mobile router.

This costs you nothing as it doesnt use your data plan and then the eyefi card can communicate to your laptop through your phone, thus allowing you to buy a cheaper version of the card.

Ross the fiddler
9th December 2010, 09:56 PM

Expensive...?

I don't believe you can buy Studio any more, unless you bought the software & key second hand. I have the trial version which came with my camera but needs a key to use fully & I'm not sure if Olympus supports it any more.

Gazza_DJ
10th December 2010, 12:34 AM
Just one more idea John if you need to use the eye-fi card when out and about and the router is a problem. There are apps out there that turn either a iphone or android into a wifi hotspot, creating a mobile router.

Most of these apps operate in adhoc mode, so you may still need the more expensive card.

Yorkie
21st December 2010, 01:15 PM
Hi,

Has anyone tried the card with an SD/CF conversion card in the E3?

Thanks,

stevednp3
21st December 2010, 03:35 PM
I'll let you know after christmas, as im sure a combination is coming my way ;) (well I left enough links and hints with the missus anyway :o)

Graham_of_Rainham
30th December 2010, 08:55 PM
I've just spotted that Lightroom 3 has teathered shooting - But not for Olympus :mad:

Yorkie
3rd January 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi All,

I now have an Eye-Fi card working in a Cf/SDHC converter in my E3 and it is great. Takes about 20 seconds to upload highest res jpg and a bit longer for the ORF files.

Working well also with an adhoc network to the laptop and the home network as well as hotelier in Birmingham. So thumbs up all round so far.

Radar
3rd January 2011, 10:53 AM
Wanted to try the Eye-Fi card in the adapter so thanks for letting me know it's working *chr

Cathrine Stephansen
4th January 2011, 02:03 PM
Has anyone tried them with an iPad?

EDIT: The Eye-Fi card, I mean?

jchallen
4th January 2011, 09:53 PM
Hi,

Has anyone tried the card with an SD/CF conversion card in the E3?

Thanks,

On a related note, are all SD/CF adapters the same or some better (faster) than others. I too have been considering the Eye-Fi card and adapter option as well as just finding a use for some of the better normal SD cards I have.

I understand the different speed ratings for both CF and SD cards but was unsure if an adapter would slow the process down.

If anyone has any experience or just a greater understanding of the hardware I would welcome their thoughts.

Maybe this is the perfect excuse for needing an E5 :)

Yorkie
4th January 2011, 10:09 PM
Jason

In answer for this to work you must ensure the adaptor is an SDHC compatible unit as the eye-fi card will not work with the older units such as that sold by Maplin.

Graham_of_Rainham
4th January 2011, 11:55 PM
I think "Connectivity" will be a big feature of new models and I'd very much like to see Olympus at the front of this with wireless control and image storage directly to an Ipad.

Samsung's new SH100 seems to be at the front with the implimentation of this, in what looks like a role reversal of the Cameraphone.

I wonder what else will be reveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show. :cool: