PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still got their flash shoe blanking piece?

Jim Ford
3rd March 2008, 03:39 PM
My E500 one went after a week or two, but my E3 one lasted a couple of months - until yesterday!

What a useless bit of kit!

Jim

andym
3rd March 2008, 03:48 PM
Jim

Lost my E500 and E1 one but for some reason after 4 months still have the one for the E3,must be lucky.
If you look at most peoples cameras when you walk around most have it missing no matter what manufacturer.

HughofBardfield
3rd March 2008, 03:54 PM
Lost the E500 one not long before I sold it. Have so far still got the E510 one. My E1 was second-hand and judging by the dust was gone long ago.

Do you think they go to the same place as odd socks and ball point pen caps?

Jim
3rd March 2008, 04:38 PM
Still got mine, only because I removed it and put in a zipped pouch in my bag :)

Barr1e
3rd March 2008, 05:09 PM
I lost mine a couple of days after buying my E-510. How I don't know. It feels as if it has lost its right arm.

Regards. Barr1e

emirpprime
3rd March 2008, 05:36 PM
I still have my E3 one, but only because I took it off on day 2 (I think) and left it in the box! For all they help protect it I just didn't want the anguish of loosing it, and I have never managed to damage the E1 hot shoe despite loosing/removing (I don't recall which) it years ago. I do find they arn't a particularly good fit. I think their design has stood still for too long! Although I am relatively happy they are focussing efforts on lenses, sensors etc ;)
Phil

Jim Ford
3rd March 2008, 05:53 PM
Still got mine, only because I removed it and put in a zipped pouch in my bag :)

Hey - That's cheating! I hope you didn't vote.

Jim

Jim Ford
3rd March 2008, 05:55 PM
I still have my E3 one, but only because I took it off on day 2 (I think) and left it in the box!

Nope - your vote doesn't count either!

Jim

sanke
3rd March 2008, 06:21 PM
Still got both of mine on the E 500 & E 410 but this will probably jinx it now.
Karl:)

R MacE
3rd March 2008, 06:55 PM
Still got both of mine too, E-1 and E-3.

beardedwombat
3rd March 2008, 07:58 PM
Still got both mine but do regularly find them in the bottom of the camera bag so its only a question of time.......
Chris

shenstone
3rd March 2008, 08:17 PM
Hey - That's cheating! I hope you didn't vote.

Jim

I won't vote either then ...

I have them from my Pentaxes as well as the DSLR's for the same reason as others. why..?

Even caving I never find having one of these on a camera useful at all - in almost every siuation that I may want to protect these contacts I have a flashgun attached

Regards
Andy

Ijay37
3rd March 2008, 08:20 PM
mine still lives in a dark corner of my camera bag.
John

Barr1e
3rd March 2008, 08:47 PM
You might pay over $8000 for the this 21mp camera. When you play the video look out for the flash plate. :mad::D

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-1ds-mark/4505-6501_7-32572245.html?tag=nl.e725

Regards. Barr1e

photonutter
3rd March 2008, 09:06 PM
Might be a good idea to produce one with a locating pin?

David M
3rd March 2008, 10:16 PM
I've probably still got the one for my OM1 from 1976. I take them off and throw them in a draw.

250swb
3rd March 2008, 10:19 PM
First thing I did was throw it in the box with the rest of the packing, and thence into the dark depths of the back of the wardrobe, ready for Ebay in years to come.

Ellie
3rd March 2008, 10:44 PM
I've still got mine :D

Almost lost it last November at a family celebration. Another relative was collecting together their camera, sat nav and other stuff but dropped something. I picked it up and spotted a tiny bit of plastic on the floor so picked it up too. Hadn't a clue what it was to begin with, and have no idea how it got dislodged.

bammo
4th March 2008, 02:10 AM
I watched mine disappear before my eyes! It pinged off when I was in my bedroom getting my camera out of the bag. I thought I saw the direction it went, and it couldn't have gone far, but that was months ago and it's still not turned up. I wouldn't have minded if I was hanging off a ledge by my toes to get a revolutionary shot.

Ah well, it might turn up in a few years in a little-worn pair of socks. I'll be cursing my shoes all day before the penny drops and I am reunited with it.

Solar
4th March 2008, 02:36 PM
Two things I always check is that plastic flash plate cover and the eyepiece. I haven't lost the former although I have checked my camera to see it half on. I have already lost the eyepiece once and had it replaced for $7US from Oly, lost it twice but found it in my car. So now I religiously check these two items when I carry my camera about, especially since I am using a should strap still and when its on my shoulder or around my neck it [the eyepiece] has a tendency to come upward as it moves against the up and down motion of my walking and friction of my clothes. (Hope I described that right). :)

yorky
4th March 2008, 03:13 PM
Mine ran away after 3 weeks

Steve Lane
4th March 2008, 04:10 PM
Still have mine on my E-1. Interestingly enough, I still have them on my OM1 purchased in 1982 and my OM3Ti & 4Ti's, although the 4Ti's had a near death experience on a harbour wall a few years ago!

maccabeej
4th March 2008, 04:10 PM
Mine is at the bottom of my bag - I know because I find it every now and then.

As for the locating pin - do you mean a chip and radio location equipment???

photonutter
4th March 2008, 04:28 PM
As for the locating pin - do you mean a chip and radio location equipment???

That could be an idea but was thinking more on the line of the wheel you twist on a flash to lock it in place on the hotshoe.

Invicta
4th March 2008, 05:46 PM
Still got mine, but it was knocked off for the first time when I took it out my camera bag this week-end. Is this thread jinxed?

Jim Ford
4th March 2008, 06:21 PM
Might be a good idea to produce one with a locating pin?

A good idea! I might get a couple of blanks for Luton Cameras and try fitting a spring-loaded pin.

If I have any success, I'll post a photo of the blank for the benefit of the 1/3 users who've lost theirs!

Jim

Jim Ford
4th March 2008, 06:25 PM
Still got mine, but it was knocked off for the first time when I took it out my camera bag this week-end. Is this thread jinxed?

Probably! Your blank looks like it's on it's way - you should vote that you've lost it, in advance of it actually happening!

Jim

Nova Invicta
4th March 2008, 08:22 PM
Lost mine on the E-500 long long ago, still got it on the E-400

Evo
5th March 2008, 10:58 AM
An interesting choice of thread for my first post, however I've just checked my e500 and it's still there. It's actually a tightish fit :confused:. I've had the body (the camera body that is :p) since Nov '06 and I'm fairly certain this is the first time I've removed the blanking thingy. No doubt it'll fall off now I've touched it...

mike_j
11th March 2008, 02:34 PM
It's still in the place where I stored it, in the the camera box, with other odds and ends the day I bought the camera.

The bit that annoys me is the viewfinder blanking plate, this is something I do use regularly and it really affects tripod shots when your eye isn't to the viewfinder. Some cameras have a natty built in shutter and Minoltas used to have one as part of the neck strap - the Oly loose bit of plastic is just waiting to get lost.

pilgrim
12th March 2008, 09:22 AM
still got mine I had a cunning plan I superglued it on!! errrrrrrrrrrr :confused: :D

JohnGG
15th March 2008, 01:37 PM
Not sure how to vote :confused: It's still there on the E-3 but I've just looked at the E-1 and that one's gone :( ... Still got all the little screw-on covers, though :)