PDA

View Full Version : Prints Question

Scapula Memory
3rd March 2008, 10:41 AM
I would like to ask the advice of the good people on here about prints. I shot about 120 images yesterday of my baby daughter and my folks in law would like some prints of the best 30. So I did the PP in Studio 2 and CO4 and now have 30 gleaming jpegs (from the raw files) ready for upload. Now they look good in S2 and CO4 but when viewed in windows viewer or Irfanview they look soft and slightly faded.

So if I upload these files to an online print service what should I expect to get back? Perhaps I had too many cans of Old Empire last night but I am wondering if the prints would resemble the poor result in the windows viewer and Irfanview?

I do not have a good enough printer for home printing so need to use an online printer.

Any comments/ advice or experience of this most appreciated.

j.baker
3rd March 2008, 11:56 AM
This is not an advert for photobox, but I find that they genreally process my images, and they alwyas look better than on my monitor.

I have not calibrated my monitor so this affect how I see my images. Have you calibrated yours?

You can request a free calibration sheet from photobox. It is a 6x4 print.

Given the small cost of getting the prints done you may want to try them.

If you have never used photobox, and if you have an amazon account, you may be able to get 60 free prints. The bottom of the amazon.co.uk website. You just pay for delivery (1.50 i think).

Most large supermarket stores now have basic digital printing services, but most online companies are cheaper and usually better.

DTD
3rd March 2008, 12:19 PM
I'd second photobox. Make sure your images are in the sRGB colourspace.

Other on-line printers include: www.kodakgallery.co.uk
and Jessops (snapfish): www.jessops.com/photos/

Most do a free introductory prints offer, so you could even try your own comparison test. But I've always found photobox's quality and speed unbeatable.

Scapula Memory
3rd March 2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, given Photobox a go. Working in sRGB as well. Looking forward to seeing the results.