PDA

View Full Version : It's probably something bloody obvious - FL50R issue

The Saint
30th September 2010, 12:41 PM
It is probably something blindingly obvious but I'm having a bit of trouble with my FL50R over the last couple of days and wondered if anything has some suggestions to the cause.

The scenerio is, got my FL50R with fully recharged batteries in TLL Auto mode fitted in the hotshoe on either my E-3 or E-PL1 and when I take a image it is totally underexposed (totally as it's nearly black). The flash is firing when fully depressing the shutter release, so there is no reason for it not to illuminate the scene. Initial I thought I might have accidentially changed a setting on the E-3, but I've reset it to factory settings and tried my E-PL1 which has the same issue.

If I put the flash into manual an dial in approximately the right power the images come out fine. So by deduction I can only imagine that it's a issue with the flash and the communications from the camera although not at the camera end as there is the same issue on both bodies. Could it be out of sync firing the flash slightly too early?

If I use my FL36R, I have no troubles at all and everything comes out perfectly.

I'm not a particularly heavy user on my flash, although it's probably fired several hunderd times over the last 18 months.

Anyone with any ideas?

Simon

Jim Ford
30th September 2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe this will help:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=19507

Jim

jonsey
30th September 2010, 03:15 PM
It is probably something blindingly obvious but I'm having a bit of trouble with my FL50R over the last couple of days and wondered if anything has some suggestions to the cause.

The scenerio is, got my FL50R with fully recharged batteries in TLL Auto mode fitted in the hotshoe on either my E-3 or E-PL1 and when I take a image it is totally underexposed (totally as it's nearly black). The flash is firing when fully depressing the shutter release, so there is no reason for it not to illuminate the scene. Initial I thought I might have accidentially changed a setting on the E-3, but I've reset it to factory settings and tried my E-PL1 which has the same issue.

If I put the flash into manual an dial in approximately the right power the images come out fine. So by deduction I can only imagine that it's a issue with the flash and the communications from the camera although not at the camera end as there is the same issue on both bodies. Could it be out of sync firing the flash slightly too early?

If I use my FL36R, I have no troubles at all and everything comes out perfectly.

I'm not a particularly heavy user on my flash, although it's probably fired several hunderd times over the last 18 months.

Anyone with any ideas?

Simon

Simon, having not read the above link to the thread, the only thing i can think of is that you have your flash set to remote wireless?? the flash fires but only to communicate with the `slave` ????

gazza95
30th September 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Simon

Couple of things I have come across;

1) Check the flash contact pins are clean and move freely.

2) I recently had problems with an FL50 where is was being triggered before fully charged. This caused under exposures. If you let flash gun charge for 20-30 seconds after orange ready light shines it worked fine. Unfortuntely I had to send mine to Olympus for repair.

Gary

regards

Gary

The Saint
1st October 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've checked the settings in the article and there appears to be nothing wrong. The pins are clean and appear to be making contact.

What is also interesting if the flash is set to auto rather than TTL, it over exposes,so I'm guessing its an electronic fault.

Guess I'm going to have to dig the receipt out for it and send it back. I assume flashes have the same 2 yr warranty.

Simon