PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Which lens should I buy?

debsylee
30th September 2010, 08:59 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a lens with greater capability than the current one I use (14-54mm) .. any recommendations please?

I like the look of the 50-200mm but not sure I couldn't get away with something less expensive; most of my work is portraits, but I would like a bit more flexibility ..

All advice and tips gratefully received!

theMusicMan
30th September 2010, 09:18 AM
What flexibility are you after Deb that you feel you cannot get with your current 14-54mm?

The 12-60 won't give you much more, but is a sharper lens, and I feel that the 50-200mm is a tad too long for portrait work.

You could use the TC1.4x which will give you a little more reach - but until we understand what your issues are with the 14-54, we're not able to help specifically.

All the portrait shots I take are with the 14-54mm and I find it an excellent lens for this purpose. The shots produced with this lens are normally pin sharp and bright. Here's a snapshot of my daughter and her friend taken last Saturday evening - with the FL50 flash unit.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs669.snc4/60894_475984222118_610242118_6643545_5137714_n.jpg

... and all of the model shoots I do yield similar results.

What issues are you experiencing?

StephenL
30th September 2010, 09:23 AM
The 50-200, though a very fine lens, might be overkill for your intended use. The 40-150 is a much under-rated lens - either the latest f4 version or the older f3.5, which is reputedly slightly better optically.

debsylee
30th September 2010, 09:24 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply :-)

For close(ish) work I love the 14-54mm and also my 50mm .. but I notice when I try and capture at a distance say further than 2 or 3 metres away (maybe shooting people unawares ..) I'm getting grainy, out of focus results in comparison.

I've checked over and over the settings on my E3 (noise reduction on, etc), bought a sturdy tripod, and still I'm getting less than crisp results .. hence I thought I probably needed a lens with a greater zoom capacity ..

theMusicMan
30th September 2010, 09:25 AM
Great point Stephen. I have a shoot tonight and will put the 40-150 in the camera bag. Must try it out with the studio flash kit.

theMusicMan
30th September 2010, 09:27 AM
Hi John,

For close(ish) work I love the 14-54mm and also my 50mm .. but I notice when I try and capture at a distance say further than 2 or 3 metres away (maybe shooting people unawares ..) I'm getting grainy, out of focus results in comparison.

I've checked over and over the settings on my E3 (noise reduction on, etc), bought a sturdy tripod, and still I'm getting less than crisp results .. hence I thought I probably needed a lens with a greater zoom capacity ..
Do you have any examples you can post - with XIF - so we can take a look?

debsylee
30th September 2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you!

I've checked out the 40-150mm and I'm sure this will suit my needs perfectly (and a good price)

Many thanks again; you're a very helpful lot on this forum, just wish I had the same level of knowledge to contribute myself!

benvendetta
30th September 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi John,

Sounds to me like there is something wrong here - you should get great results with the 14-54. As has been said already let us see some examples of images that you are unhappy with. 108mm (35mm equivalent) at the long end of the 14-54 should be great. Remember that the 50mm f2 macro is a stunning portrait lens and has a shorter focal length.