PDA

View Full Version : Advice required

xp1
29th September 2010, 08:06 AM
I need to purchase some batteries for my flash units and also a couple of 8gb memory cards. Could anyone advise on which makes I should be looking at. I want to start shooting sports so I will need fast cards and I will be indoors using flash (FL50R) quite a lot of the time.
Thanks in advance.

shenstone
29th September 2010, 09:36 AM
Get hybrid rechargeable batteries they give performance and hold their charge - make doesn't matter as such as it's a relatively new technology and those companies in the markey are all OK

In terms of flash cards yes speed matters I can see the difference in burst quantity with my older and less fast cards no both my E-510 and E-30 - once again make doen't matter too much - I've got and had Lexar, Sandisk and Trancend and have fouind no overall difference in reliability

In the min for both as long as you get them from a reputable supplier so you're not getting cheap ones faked up to look like expensive ones - I use 7 Day shop in the main and got some 4Gb lexar 200x and Einloop hybrid batteries recently for a good price

Regards
Andy

Andel
29th September 2010, 11:16 AM
Try the Duracell direct site https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk

they do both low discharge rechargable batteries and UDMA compact flash cards and as you are buying from the manufacturer you have some security.

xp1
29th September 2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks very much for the advice guys.

Jim Ford
29th September 2010, 01:52 PM
I always get my cards and batteries from 7dayshop:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

Never had any problems with their goods.

Jim

Andel
29th September 2010, 02:15 PM
I use 7Dayshop but the last two Items I ordered at the beginning of this month were both out of stock, they indicated a 3-7 day delay but after waiting nearly nearly 4 weeks I cancelled the order and bought elsewhere. make sure you check stock levels before you order.

Len

xp1
29th September 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks again for advice and the link. I will go have a peek now.
Cheers.

xp1
29th September 2010, 02:23 PM
Going for the Sandisk ultra 8gb x 2 as that is cheaper (& safer) than one 16gb card. Plenty in stock apparently. Will have to bookmark that site. Thanks again for help and advice.
Cheers

StephenL
29th September 2010, 02:45 PM
Sandisk Ultra is a good choice - I've never experienced any difficulties with these. Also your reasoning on splitting cards into reasonable sizes is sound.

Going for the Sandisk ultra 8gb x 2 as that is cheaper (& safer) than one 16gb card. Plenty in stock apparently. Will have to bookmark that site. Thanks again for help and advice.
Cheers

Radar
29th September 2010, 02:45 PM
Duracell rechargeable batteries. The ones you buy in the store. Make sure you get the 2000MAh batteries and not the 1400 or 1700 ones. I use them for all my flashes and radio transmitters and they're great!

Jim Ford
29th September 2010, 04:26 PM
Duracell rechargeable batteries. The ones you buy in the store. Make sure you get the 2000MAh batteries and not the 1400 or 1700 ones. I use them for all my flashes and radio transmitters and they're great!

You can get 2900Mah ones for under 1 each from here:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108409

Jim

xp1
29th September 2010, 06:02 PM
Just spotted these and put in an offer for 3.80 per pack.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230524893832

Just have to wait and see. Thanks once again for the help & advice.

Jim Ford
29th September 2010, 07:47 PM
You need to be careful - I bought some cheap 1500Mah AAAs from ebay and when I checked them they were around 400Mah.

Jim

xp1
29th September 2010, 08:04 PM
They go back if they are not what they say they are.
How do you check them other than visually ??????.

greenguru
29th September 2010, 08:11 PM
I have just purchased two Sandisk Ultra (30mb/s) 8gb cards for 10.47 each from www.memorybits.co.uk

Use the code prexmas60 for the discount but be aware it is likely to run out tomorrow (thursday) at 2pm.

(A point to note, the site is getting spanked so is a bit slow but worthwhile imho.)

Rob

pepper
29th September 2010, 08:27 PM
The standard batteries that always get good mentions along with Duracells are the Sanyo Eneloops, I have three sets which I use on my flash and my Nikon F5 and they never seem to go flat!

xp1
30th September 2010, 06:44 AM
The standard batteries that always get good mentions along with Duracells are the Sanyo Eneloops, I have three sets which I use on my flash and my Nikon F5 and they never seem to go flat!

I was looking at them. I will see how I get on with the ones I have purchased.They cost less than 12 for twelve plus free postage. I will give them a good work out when they arrive. I will go with the Eneloops if the one I purchased are no good.
cheers

xp1
30th September 2010, 06:54 AM
I have just purchased two Sandisk Ultra (30mb/s) 8gb cards for 10.47 each from www.memorybits.co.uk

Use the code prexmas60 for the discount but be aware it is likely to run out tomorrow (thursday) at 2pm.

(A point to note, the site is getting spanked so is a bit slow but worthwhile imho.)

Rob

Seems I am too late. Will have to keep my eyes open.
Thanks for the link.