PDA

View Full Version : Polarisation filter

tomke
29th September 2010, 07:14 AM
I would like to purchase a polarisation filter, but after searching for one I am completely lost. There are so many different brands and types. A circular one is the right choice I think, but I could use some advice on which one to buy.
At the same time I would like to know how to use this filter with an AF-lens like the 12-60 SWD or the 70-300 (which I recently bought :):) - I sold my E510, which I did not use as often as my E-PL1 and with a little bit extra money I could buy this one... a great lens!). Do you have to use it on manual then? I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

Who's_E
29th September 2010, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I use a Hoya circular polariser on my 12-60 and have a 58mm Hoya one, too. It works just fine.

Ian wrote a brief article on DPNow about how to use polarisers:

http://dpnow.com/articles/7186.html

Other than the lighting effects, there are no special camera tweaks you need to do. Point and shoot but remember to turn the filter for the best scene effect.

Just bear in mind that the polariser lets in three stops less light than would normally enter the lens so your shutter speed will be lower than it was without the filter. (You can either compensate for this with higher ISO or a wider aperture or you can also accept the slower speed - depends on what you want to photograph.)

Nick

tomke
29th September 2010, 01:34 PM
Thank you Nick. I cannot read the article you pointed out, neither via the link nor directly in DPNow. Something with the script that gives problems, but I will ask my son when he comes home (I am sooooo stupid with computers:mad:). I will read it as soon as possible.

Radar
29th September 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi,
Just bear in mind that the polariser lets in three stops less light [...]

3 stops?? I get around 2 stops less light with mine. Varies from brand to brand?

StephenL
29th September 2010, 02:48 PM
Don't go for the cheapest you find, but there's no real need to go for the dearest either. The higher-end Hoya are fine, as are B&W. Kood are pretty good also.

tomke
29th September 2010, 03:16 PM
Ok, I an not lost anymore and I will look for Hoya or B&W. That makes the choice easier. I still haven't read the article. As soon as I click on a photo and click "next", the internet blocks completely and after a while it says that I have to stop the script otherwise the computer will not function anymore. Strange. I asked my son, he tried, but did not find a solution, so we will have to wait for the "all knowing" husband to come home,:). We'll sort it out. Thanks anyway, Nick and Stephen.

Jim Ford
29th September 2010, 04:28 PM
I thought I needed a polarising filter, but since I bought one (Hoya) a couple of years ago, I've not used it!

Jim

tomke
29th September 2010, 05:47 PM
Why not, Jim? I'll explain where I want to use it for: next Sunday we will go out on a boattrip on the Waddensea: lots of water with a lot of animals, like a.o. seals. Isn't it good to use a filter then to get rid of the reflections of the water?