PDA

View Full Version : How sharp, how detailed???

Kiwi Paul
28th September 2010, 09:42 PM
All the wallpaper on my PC desktop is photos I have taken, I picked shots that I thought would make good backdrops and they are automatically changed every 5 mins. The sharpness and detail of some of them are excellent and one shot I was looking at today when it popped up I couldn't remember taking it, or at least what lens was used, but it was so sharp and detailed right through I guessed it must have been the 14-35 lens. I searched and found the original and sure enough I was correct, but what really surprised me was the fact it was taken at 1/45 sec at f2.0, i.e. wide open Even wide open the detail and resolution etc was absolutely superb. That's what I love about the SHG glass, the lenses really are a work of art, when Zuiko say f2.0 they mean useable and sharp at that value, not just some over rated figure to make the lens look impressive!

Paul

theMusicMan
28th September 2010, 09:49 PM
Yep, totally agree Paul.

The only SHG glass I've used in anger is the incredible 35-100mm f2. It just is as sharp at f2 as it is elsewhere. Period.

Can't beat Oly glass, just can't beat it.

David M
28th September 2010, 10:13 PM
Yep, totally agree Paul.

The only SHG glass I've used in anger is the incredible 35-100mm f2. It just is as sharp at f2 as it is elsewhere. Period.

Can't beat Oly glass, just can't beat it.

For some reason I thought you had the 7-14 John.

theMusicMan
29th September 2010, 06:22 AM
For some reason I thought you had the 7-14 John.
Hi David

Yes, you're spot on, I do own the 7-14mm and love it too. I had obviously swallowed a 'stupid pill' and wasn't thinking when I made that post. Hehe.

My excuse though, is that Paul was, of course, talking about sharpness of these lenses wide open @f2, which the 7-14 doesn't have. Its maximum aperture is f4. Still a cracker of a lens though.

Ulfric M Douglas
29th September 2010, 07:30 AM
... Even wide open the detail and resolution etc was absolutely superb. That's what I love about the SHG glass, ...
Funny thing is, compared to other brands, the cheaper Olympus lenses seem this way to me.
We don't have any of the HG or SHG stuff but our kit lenses seem to me to be sharp wide open. 14-42 and 40-150(both).

No other DSLR lenses seem to be that way, of the limited number I've tried.
That was one of the diappointing things when I recently got a sony alpha-450, kit lens and a load of old minolta lenses. Not even the modern Sony kit lens was any good wide open!, neither was the 50mmF1.7 sharp wide open. It was an eye-opener to me of 'other brand' DSLR experience.