PDA

View Full Version : Which RAW converter Poll:

Scapula Memory
2nd March 2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,
Just interested to see what is the most popular raw converter people use here. Please tick the one you use the most, I appreciate people use one or two but which one do you turn to the most? Could be interesting!

R MacE
2nd March 2008, 10:49 PM
I use Lightroom, previously used RSP. I keep a copy of Olympus Master 2 installed for the dedicated features such as Auto Gradation and Noise Filter settings.

photonutter
2nd March 2008, 11:40 PM
On the rare occasion I do shoot jpeg, master seems to handle the files well. On saying that I have'nt used any other.

250swb
3rd March 2008, 12:19 AM
I use ACR, but I think there may be some confusion in the Poll categories.

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw latest version 4.3.1) works both with Photoshop CS3 AND Elements, only the post processing is a different package. So the Poll kind of makes it look like the Photoshop RAW converter costs hundreds of pounds, whereas it can be used with Elements for the price of Elements.

Scapula Memory
3rd March 2008, 01:28 AM
I use ACR, but I think there may be some confusion in the Poll categories.

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw latest version 4.3.1) works both with Photoshop CS3 AND Elements, only the post processing is a different package. So the Poll kind of makes it look like the Photoshop RAW converter costs hundreds of pounds, whereas it can be used with Elements for the price of Elements.

I see your point and did consider this. Had I not included both someone would have questioned this. You are right though, ACR is used for both but the reason I included both versions is because of the sheer cost difference between the packages. I was limited to 10 choices and did not want to leave anyone out! :)

brob108
3rd March 2008, 02:25 AM
I've become a fan of Lightroom recently - especially after getting a couple of books on the software. I like how it works and makes me treat the RAW files as if it were a digital negative and and is much more orientated to photographers than perhaps Photoshop is.

Jim Ford
3rd March 2008, 09:11 AM
Doesn't Lightroom use the same Adobe Camera Raw plugin as Elements and Photoshop? Why would Adobe produce two different Raw developers?

Jim

DTD
3rd March 2008, 09:49 AM
Use Aperture to keep workflow as a one application as possible.

shenstone
3rd March 2008, 10:06 AM
Doesn't Lightroom use the same Adobe Camera Raw plugin as Elements and Photoshop? Why would Adobe produce two different Raw developers?

Jim

I believe that Elements, Photoshop and Lightroom are all currently using the same RAW engine. The difference being just the interface / workflow features.

However I understand that this is not always guaranteed to be the case as versions of each are released and patched they can at some times be a point version or so adrift from each other.

Regards
Andy

Scapula Memory
3rd March 2008, 10:24 AM
Ah yes Andy that is what I thought but was not completely sure as I do not have much to do with Adobe. Thanks for confirming that.

Xpres
3rd March 2008, 10:33 AM
I use the ACR plugin with elements but have recently been using UFraw with the Gimp quite a lot. So I guess I'll vote 'other'.

OlyPaul
5th March 2008, 05:38 PM
I have to admit to using quite a few but overall prefering Silkypix for the Oly like colours. :)

andym
5th March 2008, 05:55 PM
I have to admit to using quite a few but overall prefering Silkypix for the Oly like colours. :)

Well that makes two of us.

Henk
5th March 2008, 07:35 PM
Bibble is my favorite because it gives me the best detail for my photography, I occasionally use RawTherapee or Studio.

griffljg
5th March 2008, 08:43 PM
I use Bibble because (not necessarily in order of preference):-

1. It has the facilities I require.
2. It supports the E-3.
3. It runs under Linux.

ossian
5th March 2008, 10:11 PM
I've been using Bibble Lite for about a year now and to my eye its ability to extract detail and colour from RAW files, especially on older cameras, makes it well worth checking out. It can be downloaded as a 30 day trial

ossian