PDA

View Full Version : Selecting objects in Photoshop

andym
1st March 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi all

I am interested what those of you that use Photoshop do to select objects.I have Photoshop 7(old I know)and have tried quick mask,magic wand and magnetic lasso.
I can get good results some of the time but would like to know if anyone has any tips.
I am also interested in the setting you use if you use the above tools.

Thanks in advance

emirpprime
1st March 2008, 07:58 PM
If the shape is complex and there is a lot of clutter around it, I find you can't beat the Pen tool. It takes a bit of getting used to if you haven't used it before, but it is a very powerful tool. You basically construct a line around the object by dropping anchors and beding the lines between them for curves. Once done you right click and Make Selection (or similar, I can't remember the exact wording), enter a feather amount if desired and go from there.
Also, I think it is combining them that is often best. You can switch between all the selection tools on the fly and by holding the Alt or Shift keys continue adding/subtracting from the selection. I often use quick mask and a large brush to block out background, then move in close using the magic wand, then back to the brush or even the pen tool for tricky areas.

In fact, thinking about it, my most helpful tip is probably to utilise curves/levels either as adjustment layers or on a duplicate layer that is "disposable" and just being used for making the selection. By manipulating the levels you can often increase contrast etc making selection easier. For tricky subjects you can even manipulate just particular channels or colours.

Its all voodoo really :o

All the best,
Phil

OlyPaul
5th March 2008, 05:34 PM
Have you tried the Extract Tool ?

Ian
5th March 2008, 05:48 PM
Hi all

I am interested what those of you that use Photoshop do to select objects.I have Photoshop 7(old I know)and have tried quick mask,magic wand and magnetic lasso.
I can get good results some of the time but would like to know if anyone has any tips.
I am also interested in the setting you use if you use the above tools.

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend abandoning PS7 and investing in Photoshop Elements 6 - it's much more powerful than Photoshop 7 and has some really good selection and extraction tools, like the new Quick Selection tool, which can breeze through complex selections very intuitively. And it has RAW processing built in.

Ian

Invicta
5th March 2008, 06:20 PM
And another alternative...

I dont know PS 7 but I assume it has channels. Look at the various channels and pick the one with most contrast for the subject you want to select. Duplicte this channel, then use levels and the brush tool to darken the object on the duplicate channel. You now have a mask, invert this and change to a selection.

Fly away hair? Channels is the way for such complex selections.

Barr1e
5th March 2008, 09:16 PM
I was going to order Elements 6 but held back - in the detail I noted it took over your picture library or folders. Is there some way of disabling this please?

Regards. Barr1e