PDA

View Full Version : Will you buy the E5?

Kiwi Paul
17th September 2010, 10:29 AM
From what you have seen so far who will buy the E5?

Paul

theMusicMan
17th September 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm in the undecided camp just now. I am not overwhelmed with the spec, but neither am I underwhelmed. To be honest, the E5 is the logical and obvious step for Olympus to take - bringing together all the better parts of their other models into one unit.

Price way to high to be a 'yes', not knowing the performance means I can't yet say 'no'.

Welshlansdcaper
17th September 2010, 11:09 AM
I don't think so. Perhaps if Oly had upped the sensor to 14-15Mpx - maybe. Price is way too high anyway. I'll go for the E-620 I think

Sorry Olympus

Mike
Welshlandscaper

A poor life this if full of care
we have no time to stand and stare........

The Saint
17th September 2010, 12:09 PM
Won't be buying one in the near future as my E-3 / EPL-1 combo does everything I need. If the price comes down and the E-3 is on it's last legs then I might be tempted.

Simon

Greytop
17th September 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm on the fence at the moment, waiting for test results :)
I would dearly love a weather sealed body, this is top of my list but in addition RAW needs to be a step up from my E-30.
I am a tad disappointed that Olympus didn't go with a smaller high quality body along the lines of the Pentax K-7 (and soon to be released K-5) but I guess I can just about live with that ;)

Makonde
17th September 2010, 12:38 PM
I will buy one. I'm not an Olympus fanboy but bought on the merit of the FT system overall. I didn't see enough reason (IQ) to go from my E520 to the E3 but I see enough to make the E5 a worthwhile and sensible upgrade.

I considered the EPL2 last Christmas but don't think it's far enough on yet, with enough lenses, to be a proper system. It's easy to see why Oly is putting all its development effort into MFT but we've yet to see whether it can become a full-blown system with a range of good fast lenses and fast AF. It is lighter and smaller than FT but not going to be so light and small that it is pocketable. Also, my fingers are getting old and the E5 will remain the right sort of 'proper camera' size for me, especially with heavier lenses. I won't be the only one!

I won't, however, be buying any more FT lenses ( I have the 35 & 50, the 12-60, the 50-200, EC1.4 and the two kit lenses) as they won't work fully - fast focussing - with the EP series. I think the E5 will do me for four or five years and then we'll see whether I go for the MFT system or another brand at that time.

andym
17th September 2010, 12:46 PM
Just to be topical "is the Pope a catholic".

Actually I voted to see the test results.

Perhaps there should be an option to vote are you going to sell your E3 to part finance an E5".

PeterD
17th September 2010, 12:49 PM
I probably shall buy the E5:). I agree the price is about £400 too high but I shall be looking for the add-ons with discount as a package.

Park Cameras have started the pre-order. Price is still too high and they have a couple of sweetners in the package.
Link here. (http://www.parkcameras.com/17084/Olympus-E-5-Body.html?gclid=CJ-xw_fPjKQCFQK_bwodxyRCIA)

As I said in the other thread, this should be a safe upgrade using already proven features. This, I believe, is a big plus.
I am not too fussed about the sensor, it already gives good results as have been seen here. I am excited about the image processor upgrade and will be pleased to see the image results - real world stuff and NOT using the graphics filters.

Come on Oly, you had give-aways with the E3 for early ordering. I expect you to do the same this time.

ndl0071
17th September 2010, 01:02 PM
Iíll put my neck on the line and say that ĎYesí Iíll buy one, in fact Iíve already started to save up:)..3p so far:(..Well you've gotta start somewhere.

Daveart
17th September 2010, 01:05 PM
Hi all Judy Harrman has spent a month with a pre-production E5 and just sent in a report on the E5, she recone that it is about 2 stops better than the E3 ie. E5's iso 1600 is as good as the E3 in terms of noise and has more fine detail than the E3 plus it focuses better at low light in her sudio with a 2 stop filter on the 14-35mm lens with low model lights on, she recons that equates to about a 1 stop low light focus difference over the E3, If only I had the money I would get one tomorrow as this sounds impressive. So if that is not advancement I dont know what is!.

Dave

Steve Lane
17th September 2010, 01:19 PM
Not me, nope. As nice as the camera appears, I was really hoping it would be much smaller. My only digital SLR is the E-1, and I stopped using it last April as I find it too big. I am still secretly hoping for a 620 size body with full weather sealing and multi spot metering :)

For the moment I am using my Wife's Leica D-Lux 3 for digital, and my OM's for film.

Wee man
17th September 2010, 01:32 PM
Also a wait for results. But will seriously consider it I want weather proofing and would rather an E5 than a second user E3. Price means I will wait for sensible pricing.

StephenL
17th September 2010, 01:42 PM
Nothing to do with the specs, but I've gone totally m4/3. So, no.

snaarman
17th September 2010, 02:02 PM
I am still secretly hoping for a 620 size body with full weather sealing and multi spot metering :)

Oh yes please!

So, no I won't be buying the E5 on size, cost and weight grounds.

Pete

Ulfric M Douglas
17th September 2010, 02:10 PM
I think votes "no" from folks like me might give this poll a skewed appearance, since I'm not one to buy the most expensive models of anything. I wouldn't have bought an e-1 back in the day, I haven't bought an e-3 and I'm not even interested in a bargain e-30.
Anyway I voted just to be included.

Another poll question could have been : "If in the market for high-end DSLR, would you buy an e-5"...

DerekC
18th September 2010, 08:51 AM
As has been said before it is a evolution rather than revolution. Upgrades which are proven whilst still retaining the similar body.
Size and weight doesn't bother me, I use my E3 will a 90-250 a lot.

I'm please to see the HLD 4 grip will swap from the E3.

I would like to see what offers come from Olympus, as with the E3.
The price is too high but I'm on the side of buying.

WPJ
18th September 2010, 09:00 AM
I will buy, just not sure when. I want to see some more test results and like others wait to see if Olympus do a 'rev up your system' type promotion at some point. Even better would be offering existing customers a promotion of some sort.......:)

I love my E-3 so hope the E5 has the same feel to it and ease of use. I'm not sure about some of the button placements, but until I get my hands on a demo or rent from Ian I won't know.

Overall, and despite some of the features missing from the E5 that I would have wanted, I know I will get one at some point *yes.

Paul

OlyPaul
18th September 2010, 09:36 AM
I voted no as there was no alternative of "will you buy another Olympus model"

I'm a firm beliver in the quality of there equipment and the images they provide. But as someone with little girly hands and gammy shoulder and knee the E-1 and E-30 was as big as I ever wanted to go and the E-3 and now E-5 were never a consideration to me.

And I know there are many many more owners like me (that vastly outnumber E-3/or future E5 owners and its the sales of these lesser models that fund the likes of the E-5) that do not want a big camera but do want a DSLR and do not want to go the MTF way.

So the bottom line for me is not will I buy a E-5 but another model but if Olympus ignore and do not placate the likes of me by upgrading the E-xx or xxx line with what is in the E-5 (or better) then there will be a mass exodus to other brands, and the arguments about the Pro camera and how good it is will be a moot point as it will then be left to wither on the vine of Four Thirds.

I'll reserve judgement till photokina has come and gone.

menace1944
18th September 2010, 10:43 AM
Won't be buying one in the near future as my E-3 / EPL-1 combo does everything I need.

Also won't be buying in immediate future as I am trying to decide between EPL-1 and EP-2 (nominally for my wife to replace her aging compact) which, with my E-30, should cover all our needs.

Andel
18th September 2010, 12:12 PM
Everyone seems to agree that the release price is way too high, so what is the "true" market price for this camera, what is the price which would persuade you to buy?

Len

Nick Temple-Fry
18th September 2010, 12:22 PM
Well I've voted to wait for the test results, because I'd like to see what has been achieved with iso/noise performance. I also wonder what is on the cards for the micro 4/3'rds range because some of the things that make me want the E-5 could also be met (perhaps cheaper) from the smaller camera, including the increase in bracketting range. Particularly as the E-PL1 already has most of the improvement to iso and the bigger sensor.

Now if Olympus had increased the sensor size whilst keeping the suggested iso/noise improvements (and 14mp would have been fine) then I'd be on the pre-order queue. As I really do want the option of square shots whilst keeping the sides above 3000, and to allow room for a bit of perspective pulling the 3024 limit of 12mp is still a bit too tight.

(But I'll probably buy anyway, Olympus will have to provide relatively few wins for me to delude myself into thinking I 'need' the camera)

Nick

Greytop
18th September 2010, 12:23 PM
Everyone seems to agree that the release price is way too high, so what is the "true" market price for this camera, what is the price which would persuade you to buy?

Len

For me in the region of £1200-1300 at release.
This is approximately what I paid for a Pentax K-7 and weather sealed kit lens when it was released last summer and I believe the K-7 is a very similarly pitched product to the E-5.
It will be interesting to see where the new Pentax K-5 is price wise when it is announced very soon.

cinders
18th September 2010, 06:39 PM
I voted 'no', but only because I'm not in the market for a top-end model. I'd be lynched for even suggesting it!

Seriously, if I won the lottery (- even a little bit!), I'd probably go for it and the top lenses too. But I'm limited to what I can afford, and the E620 does me just fine at the moment - and I also like the weight and size of that!

I hope that people do buy it though - as otherwise Olympus might just lose interest in us! :):):)

ewan
19th September 2010, 01:03 AM
I've voted no. My current kit is more than enough for now. I do think the E-5 looks to be a very good camera though, but the price is way beyond my pocket.

Barr1e
25th September 2010, 04:59 PM
I am getting bored waiting for it to arrive. *ywn *zzz :eek: *yes *cameraicon :D

Regards. Barr1e

PeterD
25th September 2010, 05:12 PM
I am getting bored waiting for it to arrive. *ywn *zzz :eek: *yes *cameraicon :D

Regards. Barr1e

What amazes me is that none of the suppliers I have contacted have any info when UK cameras are going to be here. Only Park Cameras have put together a package with a price tag. I have asked SRS to contact me by e-mail when they have news. SRS say they do not know what the price will be to them so they are not able to offer a deal:(

Ian, is Olympus putting together a release package???

Barr1e
25th September 2010, 05:26 PM
What amazes me is that none of the suppliers I have contacted have any info when UK cameras are going to be here. Only Park Cameras have put together a package with a price tag. I have asked SRS to contact me by e-mail when they have news. SRS say they do not know what the price will be to them so they are not able to offer a deal:(

Ian, is Olympus putting together a release package???

Peter, Ian is away at present attending a funeral. It may be a few days before he can respond.

Regards. Barr1e

Melaka
25th September 2010, 05:54 PM
Iíve looked at the poll results with interest. Frankly I think more of us will buy, or at least lust after, the E5 than are prepared to admit at the moment. Youíve only got to read the forum for a few weeks to appreciate that many of us enjoy not just taking photos but also ensuring we have the best kit we can afford or are allowed to afford. I bought the E3 when it was brand new because Oly were making some tempting offers. Of course if Iíd waited it would have been cheaper but Iíd have lost the months of pleasure I got from using the new kit. Art frames and video are lost on me but if the performance at higher ISO is significantly better than the E3 then Iíll certainly be in the market. My laptop struggles with Compact Flash (why do so few have a dedicated slot?) but will happily take SD so that may become the card of the future for me. A better LCD is certainly a plus for initial filtering of pix.

kelvinator
28th September 2010, 08:30 PM
I will definately purchase the E5 - but not til middle of next year at the earliest I suspect due to finances (or lack of!!) If I could afford to buy it on its release, I would, as I think there are enough improvements over the E3 to justify it. The fact its 'only 12MP' doesnt bother me in the slightest. As long as the IQ is there and the AF is improved, I'll be well happy. I found the weather sealing on E1 and E3 to be excellent and I expect the same of the E5, and I do shoot in the rain quite a lot.

Kelvin

PeterD
28th September 2010, 10:49 PM
I contacted Olympus UK today.
1. First cameras into the UK are expected at the end of October.
2. No plans at present to offer anything other than the camera body itself. They believe that those buying the E5 will already have lenses etc. I did suggest that they consider the HLD4 + an extra battery to be included. Lets dee what happens

Kiwi Paul
29th September 2010, 07:33 AM
That's a shame I was hoping mid Oct as I'm going on a photographic trip to Slovakia end of Oct and was hoping to get one for the trip.

Paul

Greytop
29th September 2010, 07:43 AM
That's a shame I was hoping mid Oct as I'm going on a photographic trip to Slovakia end of Oct and was hoping to get one for the trip.

Paul

It looks like SRS will have them for their Olympus open day on the 16th October http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/462/Olympus-E5-Digital-SLR-Cameras.html might be worth a call to Chris Harland there.

Kiwi Paul
29th September 2010, 11:01 AM
SRS said they might be in before the end of Oct so I may be lucky.

Paul

Dave_L
30th September 2010, 10:02 PM
There seems to be general gloom about the e5 not being up to expectations and that 43 will slowly die out in favour of m43. But. I have just been out to my local Jessops to look at the competition and I have to say that despite all the bells and whistles found on Canikon products I still think that my E3 is a great camera. Other cameras may have more pixels etc etc but my E3 fits my hand like a glove and takes great photos - Canon cameras especially are either too plasticky at the cheap end of the range and too big at the pro end - same with Nikon. So yes I will buy the E 5, as an updated E3 is exactly what I want, early indications are that the IQ will easily justify the upgrade. After all I still use my old OM1 so if I do buy an E5 I expect to be using it in 10 years time whatever Olympus decide about 43 and it will still be taking good photos then. In any case if enough of us go out and buy the new camera it will make Olympus think again.

Dave

Melaka
1st October 2010, 06:10 AM
For anyone who's happy with what they've got it would be financial madness to consider switching to another brand. I shall buy the E5 and I may hang on to the E3 as a backup rather than sell it.

PeterD
1st October 2010, 06:41 AM
For anyone who's happy with what they've got it would be financial madness to consider switching to another brand. I shall buy the E5 and I may hang on to the E3 as a backup rather than sell it.

Ditto except that I SHALL keep the E3