PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Four Thirds User
14th September 2010, 06:12 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

The long-awaited successor to the Olympus E-3 flagship DSLR, the E-5, is revealed today. We've spent some time evaluating a pre-production sample. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary, the E-5 is a solid development of the E-3 but has Olympus done enough?

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/09/olympus_e5_handson_preview.php)

benvendetta
14th September 2010, 06:25 AM
I am underwelmed! :(

CaptainD
14th September 2010, 06:32 AM
Very disappointing, I expected more from the E-5 not just a makeover.

Unless of course I am missing something!

Cheers

Chris *chr

Nick
14th September 2010, 06:33 AM
I have to say i'm very disappointed! I need an upgrade to my e520 but the price of that is mad compared to competitors.

I feel this may be the end :(

theMusicMan
14th September 2010, 06:43 AM
I will certainly take a look at the E5 at some point, but even though it will sell for less in the shops, at £1,500 it is way too expensive for me to want to run out and get one (which is exactly what I did with the E3!!).

I also feel at this high price it could lead to many Olympus owners either simply not upgrading, or even consider switching brand. I wonder what the street price will be?

David Gethin
14th September 2010, 07:05 AM
Unfortunately agree with the above comments. It is an insufficient step up and does not bring the fight to other brands. :(

StephenL
14th September 2010, 07:07 AM
Just a warm-up of the E-3. Evolution not revolution. Disappointing but frankly not unexpected. Obviously brought out in an attempt to prove that regular 4/3 is not dead, but I suspect/hope there will be more announcements in the near future developing m4/3. If not, then I suspect Olympus will die in the water.

j.baker
14th September 2010, 07:08 AM
I have been following the rumours on the E5 on a well known 4/3s rumour site. The specs were talked about for some time. I was hoping that they were wrong.....and some were.

I am keen to see some real world images, taken with a range of lenses, with comparison shots against the E30, but they had better be impressive. I would expect to see an improvement in image quality when comparing an E510 to an E30.

My thoughts are that Olympus have released the E5 for several reasons. Olympus needed a Pro type camera for marketing reasons and a new 4/3rds camera to placate current customers about the longevity of the 4/3rds range.

12 and a bit mega pixels is not a big issue, as long as the image quality is there. 720p video…why not 1080p? Art filters on a pro camera….why?

The suggested RRP of £1500 is way too much. Olympus need to listen to its customers adn the current market.

In my mind they have taken the best bits from the E3 and Pen with a little tweaking and released it. The question is Why? Why now and not a year ago.

I will not be leaving Olympus, but unless the price drops I wont be purchasing one.

ndl0071
14th September 2010, 07:17 AM
I agree with all said so far, I think at that price point some of the Canikons offer better value for money, not that I'm tempted;)

Nick
14th September 2010, 07:19 AM
I agree with all said so far, I think at that price point some of the Canikons offer better value for money, not that I'm tempted;)

I am unfortunately *wave

benvendetta
14th September 2010, 07:42 AM
Where's the 'feature never before seen in a dSLR' and where is the innovation?
I shaln't be going for it.
Although my E-3 is fine, Oly's lack of R&D for 4/3rds is disappointing.
When I find a need to change my camera, it is looking less likely that it will be an Olympus. Either that or I will wait until the E-7 :eek: (if I am still around that is ;))

michaelavis
14th September 2010, 07:47 AM
The price!!! What a shame.

I guess we can look forward to it getting hammered in comparison to the 7D and D300S which like it or not are the benchmarks in this class and price bracket. To only do 5fps in 2010 on a top-end camera looks like a mistake to me.

Price/spec versus the competition is one thing, but for a loyal Oly customer, it's a hell of a lot of money, but hey, maybe it can produce class beating images. Here's hoping.

Who's_E
14th September 2010, 07:50 AM
Well, I like what I see. The E3 is a great bit of kit and unbroken so why change it drastically?

What I like about the E3 is the robustness (screen apart), the SWD focus motor and fast AF, the flipping screen, the image quality at ISO 400 and below.

What I would have liked to see improved is the resolution, the C-AF/continuous shooting performance, the screen resolution, higher than 400 ISO image quality. That is what we have, assuming that the software/internal processor updates are evolutionary.

I like the fact that there are a few more my mode settings, too, probably with other menu and option improvements. I don't care for art filters or HD video. I would have liked the AF mode switch on the body somewhere and a multi-jog dial (like the pen) and a faster frame rate.

Yes, the camera is going to get panned by the "experts" in the photographic press who are wowed by specs. However, for a prosumer camera it does okay. Ford Mondeo, not Ferrari but I like it.

Strategically, where does this leave Olympus in my opinion? Well, they have a problem with Fourthirds now: The E5 is only slightly better specced than the E30 so there is now no room for manouvre in the E30 bar a new screen and HD video. There is little room for improvement in the E620 without making it an E30, either. Thus, I would expect to see little development for the foreseeable future in order to maintain the E5's status as the flagship model.

I am out of tune with the models from Nikon and Canon but I guess that the 60D exceeds the spec and Nikon will shortly produce a model (D400?) that also does just that, similar to the D300 coming out after the E3. As manufacturers with successful pro-spec models they have access to that extra layer of technology. One would expect Olympus to maintain their market position versus the other manufacturers.

On the plus side, I would expect the price point to change rapidly for the E5: It's evolutionary status means it has minimal development overhead to absorb and should prove profitable to Olympus at a much lower price.

My 10 minute, £2 worth.

Nick

dbutch
14th September 2010, 07:51 AM
Lets see the image quality!

Lot of Oly users like the E-3, they love the lenses etc so if the E-5 takes the best of the E-3 & 30 add a few more bells and whistles and can improve the image quality... where is the issue?

Dave

Radar
14th September 2010, 07:52 AM
The specs aren't very impressive but I guess there's a little development in the Image Processor (Less noise and higher DR?) But the price?!?!?! £1500? I can go and buy a new D700, 5DMkII and Sonys FF for the same price and (without seing any comparisons of the performance so far) it might give me more BFB (Bang for the Bucks) with the advantages of FF. Even the D90 is more tempting for almost 1/3rd of the price. I guess I'll get another E-600/620 as a second camera until further instead of upgrading to the E-5 that I was waiting for. :(

Kiwi Paul
14th September 2010, 08:15 AM
It has all I'd want from a DSLR as long as the image quality lives up to it. It seems to be an improved version of the PENs as far as processor and sensor go, combine that with the larger high resolution screen and the ability to fine tune the focussing it pretty much cevers what for me was lacking in the E3. I like the fact it uses the same (well compatible) battery (BLM-5 instead of BLM-1) as the E3 as I'd keep the E3 as a 2nd camera.
Overall it's a bit underwhelming to be sure but with my investment in the SHG glass and my overall satisfaction with the quality of images with the E3 I can see me getting an E5 sooner rather than later, I want a second body anyway, who knows the image quality may be far better than we anticipate.

There maybe more subtle improvements too, i.e. with low light focussing, in fact overall focussing may have been improved, especially the C-AF so it may hold a few surprises, a wolf in sheep's clothing maybe.

Paul

OlyPaul
14th September 2010, 08:21 AM
W
Although my E-3 is fine, Oly's lack of R&D for 4/3rds is disappointing.
When I find a need to change my camera, it is looking less likely that it will be an Olympus. Either that or I will wait until the E-7 :eek: (if I am still around that is ;))

Me to and as to the R&D Issue I think Ian hit it on the head on the other forum.

His quote and my reply, and perhaps others with longer memories will see where my (perhaps unfounded) concerns are coming from.

The problem for Olympus is that the Pen range is now a success, perhaps more of a success than the E-System ever has been.

I'm absolutely sure that there are many plans for new Pen models. The question is, how do you support existing E-System users while investing in the success of Micro Four Thirds?

Ian

Problem is Ian this brings back a dejavu moment when Olympus ditched the OM DSLR system in favour of 35mm compacts and abandoned its user base.

I'll hope my fears are wrong and will wait and see how it goes with the E-System .

I will continue on with my E-30 and E-620 as they have not suddenly stopped taking images I'm pleased with and there is still a lot of milege left in them (they may even outlast me at my age), but I will not be buying any more lenses in a system I cannot have faith in.

As to investing in MFT I think not , as in this case once (twice) bitten twice shy.

shenstone
14th September 2010, 08:21 AM
Completely underwhelmed at that price... E-30 will do for me.. I had been waiting for this to upgrade from my 510, but am now very happy that Jessops had that silly deal about a year ago.

Whilst ISO sensitivity is increased I see not one work about noise. It's always the argument and I would have at least liked to see a statement on what it means to use the high ISO - I still hope for some news on that

Regards
Andy

Wreckdiver
14th September 2010, 08:24 AM
Well, I certainly won't be upgrading. Nice 3" screen and the TruePic V+ processor will hopefully be an improvement in image quality but how will it cope with ISO 6400?

The dropping of Xd card is just a minor improvement but still no mode control dial like the E-1 and E-30. No manual focus switch like the E-1.

Sorry, but I'll stick with my E-3 and E-30 for now thanks. For the price I would go for the Nikon D700 body. I really do think the Four Thirds chip is nearing the limits of its range.

The competition has nothing to worry about, they can go back to sleep - did they ever get out of bed this morning? *zzz

Steve

Wee man
14th September 2010, 08:31 AM
Will need to have a great image quality; the weatherproofing from the E3 will be my main want but not at that price. This might put second owner E3 prices up!

theMusicMan
14th September 2010, 08:39 AM
Lets see the image quality!

Lot of Oly users like the E-3, they love the lenses etc so if the E-5 takes the best of the E-3 & 30 add a few more bells and whistles and can improve the image quality... where is the issue?

Dave
Spot on there Dave... the only major issue I see is the price - and comparison to competition at that price.

I still remain pleased with my E-3, and more than pleased with the lenses I get to use (and some I don't!), so for me decisions will be made on what I see re image quality. Hopefully we'll start seeing some pre-release shots soon enough, then we can make decisions.

emirpprime
14th September 2010, 08:53 AM
Spot on there Dave... the only major issue I see is the price - and comparison to competition at that price.

I still remain pleased with my E-3, and more than pleased with the lenses I get to use (and some I don't!), so for me decisions will be made on what I see re image quality. Hopefully we'll start seeing some pre-release shots soon enough, then we can make decisions.

I'm with you - and Dave - on this. I love my Oly lenses, and mostly love my E-3. So if this improves on the IQ then that's great. However I won't be buying (unless it is radically better, which I don't anticipate), simply down to the price vs improvements. There are a couple of images on on Oly.jp, but they are low ISO and of course the official ones, not even review shots so don't really tell us much.

As many have said, setting RRP the same as current street price for a D700 is ludicrous! Even if you expect it to be significantly lower once it hits the shelves. That is a major marketing failure if you ask me. People will hear this and move on, without waiting to see the street price.

There was an interesting tidbit on another (huge) site's preview, saying they heard rumblings the mFT and FT lines are to merge. It will be interesting to see if it does happen, and if it maintains FT lens performance on the new bodies.

For me I am considering going dual system within the next year. I have my reasons - which you don't need to hear. But maybe Oly will be able to bring the PEN/mFT models up the scale to meet my needs in time. Here's hoping :rolleyes:

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:20 AM
I have been following the rumours on the E5 on a well known 4/3s rumour site. The specs were talked about for some time. I was hoping that they were wrong.....and some were.

Indeed

I am keen to see some real world images, taken with a range of lenses, with comparison shots against the E30, but they had better be impressive. I would expect to see an improvement in image quality when comparing an E510 to an E30.

There is already a noticeable differene in IQ between a Pen and and E-30, let alone the much older E-3. The E-5 should continue you this trend, if not dramatically.

My thoughts are that Olympus have released the E5 for several reasons. Olympus needed a Pro type camera for marketing reasons and a new 4/3rds camera to placate current customers about the longevity of the 4/3rds range.

12 and a bit mega pixels is not a big issue, as long as the image quality is there. 720p video…why not 1080p? Art filters on a pro camera….why?

Personally, I'm happy with 720HD, but 1080 would be nice. Art filters are actually underrated, but if you don't want them you don't have to use them and it doesn't affect the camera in any other way.

The suggested RRP of £1500 is way too much. Olympus need to listen to its customers and the current market.

Best not to under price. Let's see what the street price is.

In my mind they have taken the best bits from the E3 and Pen with a little tweaking and released it. The question is Why? Why now and not a year ago.

I'm sure they were working on the E-5 a year ago. The changes from the E-3 may seem simple, but they aren't, from the re-tooling of the Thixo moulds for die cast body, to the electronics and software. Of course the priority a year ago was to catch up with Panasonic in the Micro Four Thirds race.

I will not be leaving Olympus, but unless the price drops I wont be purchasing one.

I think if the image quality is good, it could make a difference.

Please see my replies inserted above :)

Ian

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm with you - and Dave - on this. I love my Oly lenses, and mostly love my E-3. So if this improves on the IQ then that's great. However I won't be buying (unless it is radically better, which I don't anticipate), simply down to the price vs improvements. There are a couple of images on on Oly.jp, but they are low ISO and of course the official ones, not even review shots so don't really tell us much.

As many have said, setting RRP the same as current street price for a D700 is ludicrous! Even if you expect it to be significantly lower once it hits the shelves. That is a major marketing failure if you ask me. People will hear this and move on, without waiting to see the street price.

There was an interesting tidbit on another (huge) site's preview, saying they heard rumblings the mFT and FT lines are to merge. It will be interesting to see if it does happen, and if it maintains FT lens performance on the new bodies.

For me I am considering going dual system within the next year. I have my reasons - which you don't need to hear. But maybe Oly will be able to bring the PEN/mFT models up the scale to meet my needs in time. Here's hoping :rolleyes:

Non grey-import D700s are more like £1750. Remember, the D700 started out way over £2000 and is now probably due to be replaced any time now.

Ian

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:24 AM

Yes, if you like Olympus, like your lenses and your E-3, the E-5 should be an attractive update.

Ian

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:27 AM
Olympus has promised me some E-5s to add to the e-group.uk.net hire stock :)

Ian

CaptainD
14th September 2010, 09:39 AM
Ian,

Thanks for posting your hands on preview for the E-5. Whilst it may not be what I was hoping for I am very impressed with the objective nature of your article. I rather sense Ian that you are doing very well to manage all of our perhaps over enthusiastic expectations.

I will be very interested to see some image samples to see what the higher ISO performance is like. I do howver have to laugh at myself with my attitude to video being incorporated into a DSLR body. I just does not appeal to me, I am clearly not the techno fan that I think I am!

I do try to keep in mind that compared to the big 2 players, Olympus does not have the resources to fight on level terms with them, especially with the MFT format proving such a success for them. It certainly makes commercial sense to maximise the revenue that this format has given Olympus. This does however increase my concerns that the future of the four thirds format could be under threat.

Cheers

Chris *chr

emirpprime
14th September 2010, 09:45 AM

Ian

I hope one will be diverted to you for a review if it hasn't already! At least we can have a decent appraisal of it against both the mFT and FT landscape :)

Speaking of review - it would be good if you could include a brief section on it's performance with the SHG lenses that still seem to get mixed reports on speed/accuracy on the top bodies.

On 720 vs 1080 - yes it seems silly not to go 1080 when it should be very feasible, but I don't think any average home user is really going to notice. Even those buying a top of the line body.

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:46 AM
Ian,

Thanks for posting your hands on preview for the E-5. Whilst it may not be what I was hoping for I am very impressed with the objective nature of your article. I rather sense Ian that you are doing very well to manage all of our perhaps over enthusiastic expectations.

I will be very interested to see some image samples to see what the higher ISO performance is like. I do howver have to laugh at myself with my attitude to video being incorporated into a DSLR body. I just does not appeal to me, I am clearly not the techno fan that I think I am!

I do try to keep in mind that compared to the big 2 players, Olympus does not have the resources to fight on level terms with them, especially with the MFT format proving such a success for them. It certainly makes commercial sense to maximise the revenue that this format has given Olympus. This does however increase my concerns that the future of the four thirds format could be under threat.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Is Four Thirds about bodies or lenses? OK, maybe both, but on balance it's about lenses.

I was excited about Olympus re-entering the SLR market 7 years ago with the E-1, but even back then I questioned the need for a mechanical mirror in a DSLR.

I want Olympus to come up with a great mirrorless body that will do justice to the Four Thirds glass we all have.

In the mean time, the E-5 is not a bad package at all - I just wish it had some of the other features that were on my wish list.

Ian

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:49 AM
I hope one will be diverted to you for a review if it hasn't already! At least we can have a decent appraisal of it against both the mFT and FT landscape :)

Speaking of review - it would be good if you could include a brief section on it's performance with the SHG lenses that still seem to get mixed reports on speed/accuracy on the top bodies.

On 720 vs 1080 - yes it seems silly not to go 1080 when it should be very feasible, but I don't think any average home user is really going to notice. Even those buying a top of the line body.

I'm going to the Philippines for a week at the end of next week (immediately after Photokina) and I have hinted that if a body is available I could do it justice there. But I think my schedule is too tight, but we'll see.

1080 might be possible with a software upgrade in the future. But as you can only package max 7 minute clips with 720, 1080 on AVI will be rather limited.

Ian

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:54 AM
Completely underwhelmed at that price... E-30 will do for me.. I had been waiting for this to upgrade from my 510, but am now very happy that Jessops had that silly deal about a year ago.

Whilst ISO sensitivity is increased I see not one work about noise. It's always the argument and I would have at least liked to see a statement on what it means to use the high ISO - I still hope for some news on that

Regards
Andy

There is no doubt that the E-5 has a modified imaging pipeline derived from the Pens, and these are already a stop better in terms of noise and ISO usability than the E-30, and I'd say a couple of stops better at the extreme limit of ISO range compared to the E-3, because of the E-3's banding problems at ISO 1600 and 3200.

ISO 3200 should be usable with care. ISO 6400 is only for emergencies, but is better than the E-3's ISO 3200.

Ian

snaarman
14th September 2010, 09:57 AM
I want Olympus to come up with a great mirrorless body that will do justice to the Four Thirds glass we all have.
Ian

Now there's a thought! A standard size EVF mirrorless 4/3 body, with a very quiet shutter please :-)

Like many others I moved to Olympus for the spectacular lenses: They make up for the good but not spectacular bodies...

Pete

ChrisW
14th September 2010, 10:06 AM
Having been the very happy owner of an E3 for just over a year now I am very happy to see that the E5 looks very similar to the E3 …. the E3 fits my hands very well and there will not be too much relearning of where buttons have moved to – will the buttons light up in the dark?

Presumably the E3 wireless remote control, wired control and batteries are all compatible with the E5?

Despite using my E3 in the worst of weathers, I had no problems whatsoever using it in the pouring rain, snow or in temperatures down to -15°C. I would assume that the E5 can also do this.

I appreciate that some people had problems with the tilt/swivel screen, but would hope that this new screen addresses these problems.

The video capability is very welcome. Stills are great for some things, but to catch the majesty of clouds racing across landscapes, or stormy seas, would be great. Often I have been in out of the way places and found myself watching amazing weather, and it would wonderful to be able to capture it for posterity.

What would be nice to see are some high ISO photo samples. Recently I have become a bit of a lens Luddite and have bought an M42 500mm f8.0 MTO mirror lens and an M42 300mm f4.5 Tair lens. Both are great lenses, and being able to use them with higher ISO’s certainly be useful.

Ian, how soon before can we hire one to try? Presumably there is a waiting list for those wanting to hire it? If so please can you add me to list.

Ian
14th September 2010, 11:12 AM
Having been the very happy owner of an E3 for just over a year now I am very happy to see that the E5 looks very similar to the E3 …. the E3 fits my hands very well and there will not be too much relearning of where buttons have moved to – will the buttons light up in the dark?

Presumably the E3 wireless remote control, wired control and batteries are all compatible with the E5?

Despite using my E3 in the worst of weathers, I had no problems whatsoever using it in the pouring rain, snow or in temperatures down to -15°C. I would assume that the E5 can also do this.

I appreciate that some people had problems with the tilt/swivel screen, but would hope that this new screen addresses these problems.

The video capability is very welcome. Stills are great for some things, but to catch the majesty of clouds racing across landscapes, or stormy seas, would be great. Often I have been in out of the way places and found myself watching amazing weather, and it would wonderful to be able to capture it for posterity.

What would be nice to see are some high ISO photo samples. Recently I have become a bit of a lens Luddite and have bought an M42 500mm f8.0 MTO mirror lens and an M42 300mm f4.5 Tair lens. Both are great lenses, and being able to use them with higher ISO’s certainly be useful.

Ian, how soon before can we hire one to try? Presumably there is a waiting list for those wanting to hire it? If so please can you add me to list.

The E-5 isn't on our stock list yet and may not be until the end of next month, but if it arrives any sooner I'll let everyone know.

Compared to the E-3, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the high ISO performance, especially if you have had problems with banding at 1600 and 3200. You should notice more detail resolution as well.

Batteries are, I understand, interchangeable, although the E-5 is compatible with a newer BLM-5 model as well. All the other accessories you have listed are compatible.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
14th September 2010, 11:22 AM
Well.............................................. ...............................

and h'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

maybe even

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

but not

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe OK *zzz *zzz *zzz

The E-5 (E3.5 perhaps more truly) is a bit light on excitement. Though the increase in bracketing steps to 7 is welcome and more my-modes will prove useful..

12mp - Well I'm not a great fan of mps for mps sake, but I'm rather fond of the square format and this leaves little crop space if you are going to maintain 3K min per side. So that remains a bit shy of my desires but expected.

If it maintains the improvement in image quality/ISO performance of the E-PL1 then that is welcome.

No problem really with 4/3 following m4/3 in terms of technology. The bit that makes 4/3 different (the mirror/viewfinder) is 'old' technology, after 50 years or so they should be able to make it right. And developments in sensor/engine technology - well I'd rather they work all the bugs out in cheaper cameras and give me the best possible iteration of a technology in my 'work horse' body. And if Olympus take good technology and then fine tune it for the 'professional' body, well that's quite probably a more 'professional' approach than turning out the pro-body as a test bed for half proven ideas.

The problem is that m4/3'rds technology has been 'catching up' DSLR performance, if the next generation of m4/3'rd bodies grab a lead then that'll be fine.

No the real problem will be the press response, there is no real novelty to grab the jaded alcohol addled minds of the techno-hacks. It gives them so much more room just to trot out their prejudices, poor things - they need novelty to get them interested.

Still, it's pointless judging the camera till we've seen some pictures taken. After all taking pictures is what photography is all about, isn't it?

Nick

Ian
14th September 2010, 11:27 AM
A very eloquent and thoughtful post, Nick :)

Incidentally, I know some photo mag journos how are teetotal, honest!

Ian

padgreen
14th September 2010, 11:51 AM
I'll be interested to see the coming reviews of the E5 to see if the IQ is as good as Olympus claims it to be.

On what future for 4/3rds, Amateur Photographer magazine seem to have the scoop with a statement from Olympus that says normal 4/3rds will exist until micro 4/3rds can match it in performance, citing the auto focus, burst rate and optical viewfinders in 4/3 DSLRs as being superior to micro 4/3rds. However, in future "All cameras will be mirrorless"

See here:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_E5_The_last_Four_Thirds_DSLR_camera_news_3 01801.html

There is also an editorial.

Ray Shotter
14th September 2010, 12:15 PM
Ian,

Many thanks for the pictures of the E-5 and the comparisons with the E-3 and E-30. As others have said there appear to be few surprises but the development of the sensor and the much improved LCD screen while keeping most of the features of the E-3 are very encouraging in my opinion. In my experience, when there are extensive and significant changes in the design of any mechanical or electronic equipment, then, almost invariably, this results in problems which have to be corrected in later models. In this case the E-5 appears to be an attempt to consolidate the best of the E-3 and add features which should produce higher quality images over a larger range than was possible with the E-3.

I shall look forward to your review of the production model when you are able to complete it.

Ray.

ChrisW
14th September 2010, 12:19 PM
The E-5 isn't on our stock list yet and may not be until the end of next month, but if it arrives any sooner I'll let everyone know.

Compared to the E-3, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the high ISO performance, especially if you have had problems with banding at 1600 and 3200. You should notice more detail resolution as well.

Batteries are, I understand, interchangeable, although the E-5 is compatible with a newer BLM-5 model as well. All the other accessories you have listed are compatible.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that’s good to know *yes

Very much looking forward to seeing sample photos and also video.

shenstone
14th September 2010, 12:19 PM
I just don't get olympu marketing....

With one statement What Mr Terada is saying, though, is that Olympus plans to do away with optical viewfinders when it thinks EVF technology is good enough.

it allows journalists to kill off 90% of sales to people who may be thinking of switching

The statement in itself is hardly controversial, but coming as an accompaniment to the announcement of the company's new mirror-using E-5, that features an optical viewfinder, it suggests - though does not explicitly state - that the E-5 will be the last in the line of Olympus DSLRs

Whilst the new camera may well be worth it's money it's hardly trying to build market share is it

Regards
Andy

Bikie John
14th September 2010, 12:27 PM
E-5 looks moderately interesting to me. No new whizzy features - well, I wasn't really expecting any and can't think of any to ask for. Lots of good old stuff (weatherproofong, nice big viewfinder) - still there, good.

I will be interested to see if its performance has been improved in those areas where it is currently lacking. In my use of the camera, that is mainly how it copes with low light. High ISO noise has been mentioned and sometimes I find focus a bit iffy, so if these have seen some good work I might be tempted.

There is nothing obvious to make we want to go out and mug old ladies to raise the 1500 smackers. But if the general results show good improvements I might be sending a few broad hints to Santa Claus.

Ciao ... John

benvendetta
14th September 2010, 12:43 PM
It is such a shame that it is the ZD glass that is soooo good (as good if not better than the 'others') but the bodies (or more so the sensors in them) are/will always be the weakest link compared to the opposition.
They say that a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un ;)

Zuiko
14th September 2010, 01:02 PM
A very eloquent and thoughtful post, Nick :)

Incidentally, I know some photo mag journos how are teetotal, honest!

Ian

Only because they've found it's not easy to get a liver upgrade! :D

Ian
14th September 2010, 01:12 PM
It is such a shame that it is the ZD glass that is soooo good (as good if not better than the 'others') but the bodies (or more so the sensors in them) are/will always be the weakest link compared to the opposition.
They say that a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un ;)

I would agree that the sensors have been the weak link, but let's face it, despite this - many Olympus users have managed to produce superb images. I think it's all relative in the end.

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
14th September 2010, 01:29 PM
I like it and am relieved about the evolution.
I hear that the e-1 and e-3 are the best bodies and very tough and proofed against all sorts of slime.
I hear the e-30 is the current leader of Olympus autofocus, shot speed and other arcane insidey things.
I hear the sensor in the e-pL1 with its weak AA filer and modern processor makes the most detailed/sharp files of all Olympus sensors.
What's not the like if all three are combined in such an affordable package?
:o
Oh, it's not affordable so much then ... meh.
(At least it doesn't have any Emperor's new clothes hanging off it like the alpha55.)

theMusicMan
14th September 2010, 01:47 PM
Have to say there's some fabulous discussions going on here, it really is a pleasure to be a member of this community.

I went through my D700 lust period about 18 months ago, and soon realised my photographic ability hadn't matched the capability of the E3, so soon put that to bed. In recent months, I too had thought of what I might do given the actual spec of any E3 replacement etc, but the real test is what none of us have been able to undertake as yet... that of seeing resulting images and performance.

There are improvements in this latest Olympus model, and some very good improvements too... many of which have been mentioned in a thread I created over a year ago on here, so maybe Olympus are actually listening to us here after all. Like John (Zuiko), my finances are not up to being able to afford an upgrade just yet, but I haven't discounted so doing in the coming months.

One thing to remember folks, is that if you have been pleased with the performance of your Olympus camera up to now, and have like me, lusted after that gorgeous pro level glass - it's all still there and readily available... and now with a much improved body too that encapsulates many if not all of the best bits from the other Olympus models. So... I urge you to look at the entire package, look at where you're going with it, and look at what you can do with it...

If the currently unknown performance and IQ matches the known specs... I may just go for it. :)

Ross the fiddler
14th September 2010, 01:52 PM
The specs aren't very impressive but I guess there's a little development in the Image Processor (Less noise and higher DR?) But the price?!?!?! £1500? I can go and buy a new D700, 5DMkII and Sonys FF for the same price and (without seing any comparisons of the performance so far) it might give me more BFB (Bang for the Bucks) with the advantages of FF. Even the D90 is more tempting for almost 1/3rd of the price. I guess I'll get another E-600/620 as a second camera until further instead of upgrading to the E-5 that I was waiting for. :(

Yes you could, but what lenses would you put with it & how much would they cost?

Ross the fiddler
14th September 2010, 02:08 PM
It has all I'd want from a DSLR as long as the image quality lives up to it. It seems to be an improved version of the PENs as far as processor and sensor go, combine that with the larger high resolution screen and the ability to fine tune the focussing it pretty much cevers what for me was lacking in the E3. I like the fact it uses the same (well compatible) battery (BLM-5 instead of BLM-1) as the E3 as I'd keep the E3 as a 2nd camera.Overall it's a bit underwhelming to be sure but with my investment in the SHG glass and my overall satisfaction with the quality of images with the E3 I can see me getting an E5 sooner rather than later, I want a second body anyway, who knows the image quality may be far better than we anticipate.

There maybe more subtle improvements too, i.e. with low light focussing, in fact overall focussing may have been improved, especially the C-AF so it may hold a few surprises, a wolf in sheep's clothing maybe.

Paul

The BLM-5 is only a higher capacity battery (1,620 mAh) than the BLM-1 (1,500 mAh capacity) to most likely keep up with the larger display of 920k dots. It could probably be used in the other model cameras too (E3 & E30) with the correct charger.

PaulE
14th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Oh dear, I expected alot more given how long they have had to work on it. What I cannot for the life of me figure out is why, if the main selling point is apparently image quality, has Olympus announced a camera with a seemingly poor / out of date on paper specification without publishing a whole host of images demonstrating it's ability along with it - until such images emerge (which we all have to hope do support the IQ claims) the camera is going to get a real slating which can't be a good thing...

On a personal note I have a sneaky feeling that the announcement might, in the not too distant future, make it suddenly alot easier to get hold of that bargain E3 and possibly other goodies I've been keeping an eye out for, for so long :)

Ross the fiddler
14th September 2010, 02:13 PM
Will need to have a great image quality; the weatherproofing from the E30 will be my main want but not at that price. This might put second owner E3 prices up!

I seem to recall complaints about the price of the E30 when it came out, but the price dropped & bonus inclusions helped.

Ross the fiddler
14th September 2010, 02:18 PM

Ian

Now if I could hire one of them in Australia........;)

Graham_of_Rainham
14th September 2010, 02:45 PM

Ian

Any chance of an "Open Day" where we can "Try B4U Buy" :cool:

wanderer
14th September 2010, 02:48 PM
Initally I was disappointed but having thought about it I'm OK.

Evolution not revolution. Who remembers playing spot the difference between the OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4?

The ergonomics look good and having moved a few buttons I still reckon there is about 90% of the previous layout. Pickup and play right away. Hopefully the flip screen is a bit more robust. Glad to see the demise of the xd card (paid over £100 for my first:eek:) The market is settling down to decide SDHC or CF and this camera covers both.

2Mp increase is not too bad. A large increase also means a large increase in file size which takes more processing and more memory.

An increase in battery power is always good (says the man who wanders around with 6 spares*yes)

I agree with others the glass is the thing. Having just used a top pro lens its a wow and I want more.

Regarding the M4/3 mirrorless concept I notice that viewfinders found their way back into the Pen system. Nothing looks more silly on site at Stirling Castle than dozens of visitors wandering around with one hand in the air clicking vaguely at something. (they also have headphones and shout at each other). At the airshow at the weekend sticking the camera to my eye I happily shot away at Spitfires, Typhoons, etc.

I will probably buy one but at about this time next year and probably in conjunction with the 7-14 lens. That would make 4 years between body purchases. Before that I need a new laptop simply to give me some processing power and probably Elements 9 when it comes out.

The E-3 will eventually become my backup body just as the E-500 currently is. Funnily enough the only cameras I've owned which I don't still have are my Kodak Instamatic and Brownie. And all my old ones are still in working order.

If your reading this Julia, could you pencil me in please for the E-5 and the 7-14 for 22-30th January next year. I'll give it a go.

Now what would anyone like to see in the E-7?:D

Duncan

Ian
14th September 2010, 03:26 PM
Any chance of an "Open Day" where we can "Try B4U Buy" :cool:

Yes, an event proposition has been discussed, but nothing firm at the moment.

Ian

Ian
14th September 2010, 03:28 PM
The BLM-5 is only a higher capacity battery (1,620 mAh) than the BLM-1 (1,500 mAh capacity) to most likely keep up with the larger display of 920k dots. It could probably be used in the other model cameras too (E3 & E30) with the correct charger.

I understand the BLM-5 has four electrical contacts instead of three for the BLM-1. But as I said before, I used BLM-1s when I tried out the E-5.

Ian

Greytop
14th September 2010, 05:06 PM

The suggested RRP of £1500 is way too much. Olympus need to listen to its customers adn the current market.

I agree with pretty much all your comments there John. I'm keen to see images, both Jpeg and (especially) RAW before I make any decisions.

Edit: I'll add that I honestly think Oly should have released this E-5 some time ago.
I really worry that they will find it hard to attract new 4/3 customers with what 'appears' to be a warmed over E-3, a shame really.

Ulfric M Douglas
14th September 2010, 05:52 PM
... I'll add that I honestly think Oly should have released this E-5 some time ago.
Definitely.
Shortly after the e-pL1 I reckon : they then had all the parts of the puzzle.

Just had a check:e-pL1 reviewed May2010 by DPreview.
May to September = 4 months.

That's not so long actually! *chr Good on yer Olympus.

Nick Temple-Fry
14th September 2010, 05:58 PM
Definitely.
Shortly after the e-pL1 I reckon : they then had all the parts of the puzzle.

Just had a check:e-pL1 reviewed May2010 by DPreview.
May to September = 4 months.

That's not so long actually! *chr Good on yer Olympus.

September Song

Written by Maxwell Anderson & Kurt Weill.

Well, it’s a long, long time
From May to December
But the days grow short,
When you reach September.
And the autumn weather
Turns the leaves to gray
And I haven’t got time
For the waiting game.

And the days dwindle down
To a precious few . . .
September, November . . .
And these few precious days
I spend with you.
These precious days
I spend with you.

Well we are in the short days of September.

But the lyrics seem to work

Sorry

Nick

Zuiko
14th September 2010, 06:29 PM
Have to say there's some fabulous discussions going on here, it really is a pleasure to be a member of this community.

I went through my D700 lust period about 18 months ago, and soon realised my photographic ability hadn't matched the capability of the E3, so soon put that to bed. In recent months, I too had thought of what I might do given the actual spec of any E3 replacement etc, but the real test is what none of us have been able to undertake as yet... that of seeing resulting images and performance.

There are improvements in this latest Olympus model, and some very good improvements too... many of which have been mentioned in a thread I created over a year ago on here, so maybe Olympus are actually listening to us here after all. Like John (Zuiko), my finances are not up to being able to afford an upgrade just yet, but I haven't discounted so doing in the coming months.

One thing to remember folks, is that if you have been pleased with the performance of your Olympus camera up to now, and have like me, lusted after that gorgeous pro level glass - it's all still there and readily available... and now with a much improved body too that encapsulates many if not all of the best bits from the other Olympus models. So... I urge you to look at the entire package, look at where you're going with it, and look at what you can do with it...

If the currently unknown performance and IQ matches the known specs... I may just go for it. :)

I quite agree with this. It's a classic case of the total being more than the sum of its parts. Performance has yet to be evaluated, of course, but it is all known technology and we can be confident that it will perform every bit as good as the specs promise. The E-System has come of age and reached maturity with this camera. :)

geirsan
14th September 2010, 07:17 PM
If image quality is on par with the Canons EOS7D I won't complain.

Zuiko
14th September 2010, 07:58 PM
If image quality is on par with the Canons EOS7D I won't complain.

The image quality should be on a par up to about A3. At greater enlargements the 7D should have the edge by virtue of its greater resolution (in terms of pixel count) provided nothing less than 'L' Series glass is used.

Wee man
14th September 2010, 08:03 PM
Having had a better look and some time to read reviews I now think what has come out is not too bad, IF the image quality is good and noise at high ISO's is much improved we have a weather proofed metal based body camera with all the good points of the E3 and E30 plus video (which I could have lived without); the main problem seems to be the price level. The main release let down for me now is a lack of quality images to view which are one of the main considerations to make me go for an upgrade now as other than lack of weatherproofing the E30 works well.........
Once reviewers get hands on and post images we can make a better informed decision on the next step or jump.

benvendetta
14th September 2010, 08:58 PM
I would agree that the sensors have been the weak link, but let's face it, despite this - many Olympus users have managed to produce superb images. I think it's all relative in the end.

Ian

And I have been pleased with the images I have made with my E-3 and E-500 before that including Salon acceptances. It would really be too costly for me to jump ship unless my numbers came up!
But the 4/3rds sensor, however good it gets will still be behind the main field IMO.

Ross the fiddler
14th September 2010, 10:28 PM
I understand the BLM-5 has four electrical contacts instead of three for the BLM-1. But as I said before, I used BLM-1s when I tried out the E-5.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian, because the only photo I have seen of this white battery is the back of it. It might have sped up the focus in my E30 a bit without the HLD-4 (going by peoples claims of this with the HLD-4 dual battery use). Can 2 of the BLM-5's be used in the HLD-4 or not (for the E5)?

Nick Temple-Fry
14th September 2010, 10:54 PM
Can the BLM-5 be used in the e-3, or will there be 2 batteries with the same form factor - but incompatible.

I kind-of guess that it can - after all they are keeping the HLD-5. And DC current just has a +ve and a -ve, can't see Olympus inventing a new form of delivering electricity. So I suspect the change has more to do with chargeing safeguards.

Minor question Ian, add it to the list please.

Nick

Perotin
15th September 2010, 10:19 AM
It seems to me that olympus have done the right thing. The E-3 is an excellent camera, but was is need of a few improvements. Olympus has not followed the trend of appeasing the 'gear/gadget' freaks, who parade their red ringed chunks of glass as if that were a guarantee of producing decent images!

Olympus make good cameras and superb lenses, which in the right hands produce excellent images. The E-5 is a camera designed for this type of photographer who seeks substance rather than status in his choice of camera.

stevednp3
15th September 2010, 11:55 AM
Oh well this is sad news for me, I was hoping for a much bigger upgrade, the only major thing I can see different from my e-30 is the image processor and thats not enough to justifiy £1,500

So I think I will be looking to purchase a Canon 7d or 5d mkII kit before the end of this year and start building my gear up on this brand

I'll still keep my great e-30, but may sell off some of my lenses ;)

jdal
15th September 2010, 12:36 PM
And I have been pleased with the images I have made with my E-3 and E-500 before that including Salon acceptances. It would really be too costly for me to jump ship unless my numbers came up!
But the 4/3rds sensor, however good it gets will still be behind the main field IMO.

I agree with you, the strong card for the smaller sensor should be the potential for building smaller cameras which perform at the E3 level. My disappointment with the E5 spec is that it isn't around the size and weight of the E1, whose ergonomics suits me perfectly. The E5 features in a smaller E1 sized body would have tempted me to upgrade, but not in the same body.

Kiwi Paul
15th September 2010, 12:44 PM
What are the limitations of the E30 you are using now that you feel it justifies moving to Canon?

Paul

Kiwi Paul
15th September 2010, 12:47 PM
The E-5 is a camera designed for this type of photographer who seeks substance rather than status in his choice of camera.

I'd agree with that, relatively modest specs maybe, but still a worthwhile upgrade of an already well proven workhorse that can produce excellent images with the right input.

Paul

PeterD
15th September 2010, 12:53 PM
Firstly, thank you Ian for posting the comparative views of the new E5.
I have been waiting for this model so that I can retire my E500.
I have read numerous reviews on the web including the technical specs on the Olympus site. My initial view is that whilst it cannot be called ground-breaking, Olympus have at least carefully taken good and proven features from the later cameras and combined them into the new E5. I am not unhappy with this but think the proof of the pudding will be he images it can produce. Ian, do you know when the first images will be available?
I would like to see how the new image processor performs - lots of promise but lets see the results. I had hoped that some images would be included in the release information.
All-in-all, provided the IQ and noise performance are much improved, I am interested in purchasing the E5. I love my E3 and the E5 could well be a welcome addition to my camera bag.

padgreen
15th September 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not upset with the news of the E5. As Zukio said in another thread, the DSLR market is maturing and we can expect incremental upgrades from now on in.

At least normal 4/3rd's is continuing. Olympus has been very clear about that: 4/3rds continues until micro 4/3rds can match it in performance which for now it can't. Then, and only then, the two will merge. Olympus cited auto focus speed, burst rate and quality of OVF as all being superior on E Series DSLR's compared to Pens and I'll add HG and SHG lenses to that list. I doubt that the EVF will surpass an OVF within the next few years so I expect that the E5 will not be the last E series camera.

So I'm happy, for now, with my E30. I may change it later, if I decide I need a weather sealed camera. However, I had an E1 before and the weather sealing was nice but I only really needed it once or twice in the time I had the camera. So last summer when the E30 had dropped a bit in price, I decided that it's features suited me better than buying a second hand E3. Now the E5 isn't a big enough of an upgrade to buy one new, but I may pick up a second hand one later or may even wait for whatever replaces the E5.

I also have to say I don't understand all this jumping ship talk, not so much on this forum where the discussion is at least considered and sensible but the wailing and whining over on Dppreview is rather pathetic. Certainly, if there is a particular feature that you need, like better high ISO performance or even more pixels then change brands to one that can deliver but otherwise if your camera worked perfectly well last week, it will still work well next week and for quite some time thereafter.

This constant desire for a new camera with revolutionary new features every other year is consumerism gone mad. Years ago when you bought a camera you expected it to work for years by which I mean at least a decade. In my case it was OM1n that I bought when I was 17 and it lasted me till I was 30 when I bought a Canon EOS 1000FN because I wanted auto focus. However, I never really liked the Canon, it was rather soulless and my photography declined after that until I went digital with an Olympus C5060 followed by a E1.

I do keep an eye on the competition but I don't see the point of buying either a Canon APC or Nikon DX camera: the range of decent lenses to use with either is not great. For example, neither has an equivalent of the Zukio 14-54 f2.8-3.5. Further, I don't see the point of using full frame focal lengths on APC or DX cause the focal lengths don't make sense. Now full frame is different but they are big and expensive. I also much prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio to everyone else's 3:2 and that tends to keep me inclined towards Olympus.

The only thing that worries me is Olympus abandoning the OVF. I know some people like EVF's and Olympus has said the future is mirrorless but I just don't like them and I have tried. I hope that they don't get replaced until the really are better than an OVF and if they are, then I guess I won't mind the change.

However, if they change when they are not better, or I still don't like them, then that would make me change to full frame. Full frame is very much like the old Medium Format compared to 35 mm in terms of quality and so I don't imagine that either Canon or Nikon will ditch OVF's on their full frame models anytime soon.

Ian
15th September 2010, 01:33 PM
Firstly, thank you Ian for posting the comparative views of the new E5.
I have been waiting for this model so that I can retire my E500.
I have read numerous reviews on the web including the technical specs on the Olympus site. My initial view is that whilst it cannot be called ground-breaking, Olympus have at least carefully taken good and proven features from the later cameras and combined them into the new E5. I am not unhappy with this but think the proof of the pudding will be he images it can produce. Ian, do you know when the first images will be available?
I would like to see how the new image processor performs - lots of promise but lets see the results. I had hoped that some images would be included in the release information.
All-in-all, provided the IQ and noise performance are much improved, I am interested in purchasing the E5. I love my E3 and the E5 could well be a welcome addition to my camera bag.

I hope some E-5 samples will be available next week at Photokina that I can use to take samples that can be published. You may have to be content with JPEGs even then.

Ian

PeterD
15th September 2010, 01:42 PM
I hope some E-5 samples will be available next week at Photokina that I can use to take samples that can be published. You may have to be content with JPEGs even then.

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian. It would be nice to have some low-light/high ISO samples included if you can. I only use RAW but would be interested in the jpg results too.

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 01:44 PM
It seems to me that olympus have done the right thing. The E-3 is an excellent camera, but was is need of a few improvements. Olympus has not followed the trend of appeasing the 'gear/gadget' freaks, who parade their red ringed chunks of glass as if that were a guarantee of producing decent images!

Olympus make good cameras and superb lenses, which in the right hands produce excellent images. The E-5 is a camera designed for this type of photographer who seeks substance rather than status in his choice of camera.

Hi Perotin, I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

Glad you like the E-5. :)

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm not upset with the news of the E5. As Zukio said in another thread, the DSLR market is maturing and we can expect incremental upgrades from now on in.

At least normal 4/3rd's is continuing. Olympus has been very clear about that: 4/3rds continues until micro 4/3rds can match it in performance which for now it can't. Then, and only then, the two will merge. Olympus cited auto focus speed, burst rate and quality of OVF as all being superior on E Series DSLR's compared to Pens and I'll add HG and SHG lenses to that list. I doubt that the EVF will surpass an OVF within the next few years so I expect that the E5 will not be the last E series camera.

So I'm happy, for now, with my E30. I may change it later, if I decide I need a weather sealed camera. However, I had an E1 before and the weather sealing was nice but I only really needed it once or twice in the time I had the camera. So last summer when the E30 had dropped a bit in price, I decided that it's features suited me better than buying a second hand E3. Now the E5 isn't a big enough of an upgrade to buy one new, but I may pick up a second hand one later or may even wait for whatever replaces the E5.

I also have to say I don't understand all this jumping ship talk, not so much on this forum where the discussion is at least considered and sensible but the wailing and whining over on Dppreview is rather pathetic. Certainly, if there is a particular feature that you need, like better high ISO performance or even more pixels then change brands to one that can deliver but otherwise if your camera worked perfectly well last week, it will still work well next week and for quite some time thereafter.

This constant desire for a new camera with revolutionary new features every other year is consumerism gone mad. Years ago when you bought a camera you expected it to work for years by which I mean at least a decade. In my case it was OM1n that I bought when I was 17 and it lasted me till I was 30 when I bought a Canon EOS 1000FN because I wanted auto focus. However, I never really liked the Canon, it was rather soulless and my photography declined after that until I went digital with an Olympus C5060 followed by a E1.

I do keep an eye on the competition but I don't see the point of buying either a Canon APC or Nikon DX camera: the range of decent lenses to use with either is not great. For example, neither has an equivalent of the Zukio 14-54 f2.8-3.5. Further, I don't see the point of using full frame focal lengths on APC or DX cause the focal lengths don't make sense. Now full frame is different but they are big and expensive. I also much prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio to everyone else's 3:2 and that tends to keep me inclined towards Olympus.

The only thing that worries me is Olympus abandoning the OVF. I know some people like EVF's and Olympus has said the future is mirrorless but I just don't like them and I have tried. I hope that they don't get replaced until the really are better than an OVF and if they are, then I guess I won't mind the change.

However, if they change when they are not better, or I still don't like them, then that would make me change to full frame. Full frame is very much like the old Medium Format compared to 35 mm in terms of quality and so I don't imagine that either Canon or Nikon will ditch OVF's on their full frame models anytime soon.

I agree with absolutely everything you say. :)

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 01:56 PM

Ian

JPEGs will be fine, they give a good indication of what the camera can achieve and we know that a carefully processed raw should be at least as good. Olympus JPEGs have always been amongst the best in the industry and there's no reason why this should of changed with the E-5. :)

Meogeo
15th September 2010, 02:07 PM
I have just seen photographs taken by the E-5 and they look impressive so it seems the Olympus team have done a good job, but alas out of my price range.

http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/e5/sample/index.html

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2010, 02:25 PM
I decided to compare the specs of the Nikon D300s & noticed just how many specs are very similar to the E5. Maybe the lateness of the E5 might be a valid point & perhaps the name may have conjured up some way out expectations but did the D300s cop any flack over its 1280 x 720 @ 24 fps video & its sensitivity range (the same) & its focus sensitivity of AF working range: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, normal temperature) whereas the E5 is EV -2 to 19 EV (ISO 100) & its flash used as a wireless commander. Just because Canon can't help itself in going for more pixels, it doesn't mean Olympus should be thrashed for not doing the same.

If I didn't have the E30 I would have considered buying an E5 when the price dropped or added sufficient bonuses. I think I can now confidently buy more lenses as finances allow as there is a future for their use for a while to come & when the technology allows there will be a compatible mirrorless model available.

I will be looking with interest for the test results of its images (not the comments from the Canikon biased magazines). I don't understand this over reaction of some that are threatening to leave like rats jumping off a sinking ship (mostly on a certain 4/3 rumour forum). Sure there are some valid reasons to use other equipment but as others have said some are more concerned with just keeping up with the Jones's. No offence to all the Jones's out there.

That's my little beef for now, but thanks Ian for your hands on preview.

Wee man
15th September 2010, 02:43 PM
I think we need to see some images before we make decisions after all that is what counts. The package is quite good when you take time to look it over. The price is way too high but time will bring that down I hope. Roll on sample images by photographers rather than PR men and we will then know just what we have; as has been said most of us were happy with our existing cameras last week maybe issues with noise but lets wait and see? I do find it strange that Olympus have made a launch with no images to show!

Ian
15th September 2010, 02:50 PM
I have just seen photographs taken by the E-5 and they look impressive so it seems the Olympus team have done a good job, but alas out of my price range.

Quite surprised at what small apertures were used - understandable for the butterfly shot, but less so for the others.

Diffraction softening would have had some impact on these samples.

Ian

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 03:17 PM

Hard to tell from these samples on-screen. The first two look impressive, but no more so than I would expect at low ISO from the E-3, which is, after all, still a very capable camera. Images at higher ISO would have been more useful.

The third shot, of a speedboat, has a horrible sky with patches of visible noise. It doesn't say but I suspect this is the result of the single shot in camera HDR feature - won't be using that if I get one!

gooner3900
15th September 2010, 03:28 PM
As there only seems to be a little improvement in the E5 from E30 I think I will wait until the prices start to drop on E30 abit more as suppliers make way for E5. If I was made off money I would go for E5 but alais I am not.

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 03:37 PM
As there only seems to be a little improvement in the E5 from E30 I think I will wait until the prices start to drop on E30 abit more as suppliers make way for E5. If I was made off money I would go for E5 but alais I am not.

Latest news on the E30 is that it has been discontinued so better not leave it too long if you want a new one.

andym
15th September 2010, 03:43 PM
Here's some usless information.
I payed £1099.00 for my E3 three years ago this october 25th.Working it out thats just over a pound a day over the three years.
I probably spend more than that a day on coffee when I'm out and about.
Now my E3 has done about 85000 actuations so if we believe the 150000 figure for the shutter I should have about two and a bit years left.
If the E5 price comes down to about £1200 or there is some sort of rebate from Oly I'll just have to give up coffee.;)

I must admit I know people who play golf who pay much a lot more per year for new clubs and membership for example.

Using a camera is my main passtime.

Have I justified the outlay for an E5 if the image quality proves good or am I just talking bxxxxxks!!:eek:

Ps can't change systems as I have to much invested in lenses.

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 04:21 PM
Here's some usless information.
I payed £1099.00 for my E3 three years ago this october 25th.Working it out thats just over a pound a day over the three years.
I probably spend more than that a day on coffee when I'm out and about.
Now my E3 has done about 85000 actuations so if we believe the 150000 figure for the shutter I should have about two and a bit years left.
If the E5 price comes down to about £1200 or there is some sort of rebate from Oly I'll just have to give up coffee.;)

I must admit I know people who play golf who pay much a lot more per year for new clubs and membership for example.

Using a camera is my main passtime.

Have I justified the outlay for an E5 if the image quality proves good or am I just talking bxxxxxks!!:eek:

Ps can't change systems as I have to much invested in lenses.

Andy, you've almost convinced me that I can afford one. :D

shenstone
15th September 2010, 04:28 PM
Latest news on the E30 is that it has been discontinued so better not leave it too long if you want a new one.

Crazy if true

like I've said elsewhere they need a price range for people to join where they want to and a set of cameras with different ergonomics

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
15th September 2010, 08:11 PM
I'll bet Olympus's management are feeling pretty sick now:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/NikonD7000/

Like I said in another post - Olympus had three years to blow the competition out of the water - and they muffed it! Have they forgotten how to innovate? Are they just going to drift into obscurity?

Jim

Greytop
15th September 2010, 08:40 PM
I expect they will receive another knock when the Pentax K-5 is press released if the rumoured specs are anything to go by. The K-7 is an excellent body and I'm sure the K-5 will be further fine tuned. Just a shame that their zooms can't match Oly's ;)
However to be kind to Olympus for a second, specs are not always the be all and end all. I'm waiting until I can hear of earlier adopter experiences and see RAW & Jpeg shots with full Exif before I make any decisions.
Fingers crossed....

tomphotofx
15th September 2010, 09:48 PM
Thought this review may interest members who seemed swayed towards the canon /nikon camps.

http://www.ayton.id.au/wp02/?p=3796

Will I upgrade? Of course maybe in 4-6 months time when the price drops by a few hundred pounds, in the meantime I'm getting superb results out of my E3 and pro lenses. Will I jump ship? No chance, digital photography is evolving and within the next seven years expect radical changes to occur with equipment and software as we know it.

Cheers *chr

Tom

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2010, 10:35 PM
Thought this review may interest members who seemed swayed towards the canon /nikon camps.

http://www.ayton.id.au/wp02/?p=3796

Will I upgrade? Of course maybe in 4-6 months time when the price drops by a few hundred pounds, in the meantime I'm getting superb results out of my E3 and pro lenses. Will I jump ship? No chance, digital photography is evolving and within the next seven years expect radical changes to occur with equipment and software as we know it.

Cheers *chr

Tom

That brings home the reality of the advantage of sticking with Oly.

If someone still wants to jump ship & has the Sigma 150 macro lens, I'll take it off their hands for a nice cheap price.;)

Zuiko
15th September 2010, 10:59 PM

Like I said in another post - Olympus had three years to blow the competition out of the water - and they muffed it! Have they forgotten how to innovate? Are they just going to drift into obscurity?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've looked at the D7000 specs and it seems one hell of a camera for the price but, apart from video, not substantially better on paper than the E-5 and it may well prove to be no better in practice. Still, it is about £500 cheaper and in my view that's the only bit Olympus has got wrong. But hey, once they realize their mistake it's easy enough to put right. :)

Nevertheless I thought the Nikon was worth a closer look to the extent of researching what lenses to pair it with. Where is the equivalent of my much appreciated 14-54mm? Where is the equivalent of the extremely popular 12-60mm? For those who can afford top glass where is the equivalent of the peerless 14-35mm? These are all standard zooms, not exotic focal ranges and yet in this area Nikon simply does not compete. More to the point, their lenses SUCK!

If the E-5 gets even close to matching the performance of the D7000 and D300s, with better resolution and at least a stop wider in every class of standard zoom the advantage goes to Olympus. It may not be enough to "blow the competition out of the water" but, paired with the superior Zuikos, it sure is going to rock their boat!

Suddenly it doesn't seem such bad value! :D

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Jim,

I've looked at the D7000 specs and it seems one hell of a camera for the price but, apart from video, not substantially better on paper than the E-5 and it may well prove to be no better in practice. Still, it is about £500 cheaper and in my view that's the only bit Olympus has got wrong. But hey, once they realize their mistake it's easy enough to put right. :)

Nevertheless I thought the Nikon was worth a closer look to the extent of researching what lenses to pair it with. Where is the equivalent of my much appreciated 14-54mm? Where is the equivalent of the extremely popular 12-60mm? For those who can afford top glass where is the equivalent of the peerless 14-35mm? These are all standard zooms, not exotic focal ranges and yet in this area Nikon simply does not compete. More to the point, their lenses SUCK!

If the E-5 gets even close to matching the performance of the D7000 and D300s, with better resolution and at least a stop wider in every class of standard zoom the advantage goes to Olympus. It may not be enough to "blow the competition out of the water" but, paired with the superior Zuikos, it sure is going to rock their boat!

Suddenly it doesn't seem such bad value! :D

The problem with putting too high a price to start with is that the biased magazine reviewers love to quote the RR price even when the price has dropped significantly. Too many people can naively believe the reviews, dismissing Olympus because it was rated poor value for money & just follow the crowd to the Canikon doors.

The other thing that is normally overlooked is that when the other brands have IS in their lens, it puts the price up accordingly for each lens & yet the knockers fail to see the justification for that increase being added once to the camera body from Olympus. I think that is an arguable point.

Zuiko
16th September 2010, 12:02 AM
The problem with putting too high a price to start with is that the biased magazine reviewers love to quote the RR price even when the price has dropped significantly. Too many people can naively believe the reviews, dismissing Olympus because it was rated poor value for money & just follow the crowd to the Canikon doors.

Yes, but Olympus wouldn't be the same exasperating Olympus that we all love if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot in some way! :D

Ross the fiddler
16th September 2010, 01:31 AM
I have another question Ian.

Now that the E5 does video & it being the flagship model that would be using the pro & super pro lenses, will we be seeing some more firmware updates for these lenses for CF in live view/video use or are these lenses only possible using video by MF only?

I guess Ian, the list of questions is increasing, but I thought this is an important one now.

Cathrine Stephansen
16th September 2010, 03:54 AM
Well, if E5 proves to have a higher quality of images than the E3, and better high ISO performance, I'm eager to get one, but will wait a bit until the price drops. I'm sure they'll drop the price once they see what the competition are doing.

I wonder why Oly are so bad at marketing, though. They have a good thing going, and I'm not switching systems yet (own too many Zuikos...), but why on earth be SO secretive about everything? Why not make a proper statement about what they plan to do in stead of letting the rumours about abandoning the system go wild... They could still keep some secrets, but could have stated they were not abandoning the system. As many reviewers have said, they've done a sensible thing by keeping the good things about E3 and E30 and what ever else, and putting it together.

Personally, I hate revolutions. I hate unnecessary stuff, and have loved the E3's functions, ergonomy and weather proofing. It still takes good images, but for bird photos I want more detail and less grain. As long as I get the E3 casing and weather-proofing, a better screen (hooray!), some more detail (+ 2MP), less noise I'm happy. With the doubling of max ISO, I really expect the noise issue to be history... Why else go from 3600 to 6400. I've never used 3600 on the E3. Have tried 1000, it's horrible.

As far as I can read the specs, E5 will give me what I want, and will be a useful tool for my level of photography. I don't know - nor do I care now - what the equivalent Canikons weigh with equivalent glass. At the time I made my system choice (switched from entry-level Canon EOS 350 to E3), weather-proofed Canikon with high-grade glass cost more than I could afford, and weighed more than I could carry. I would have to sell too many lenses now to change system, an I'm looking forward to using the E5 with minimal stress of changing my feel for where everything is. I suspect the E5 will be the main camera after that, with the E3 being reserved for field-work which it serves well for, and as a second body.

I'll wait for the price to go down a bit, though. With the difference from the release-price of the E5, I'll buy more Lee ND grads ;-) *chr

Radar
16th September 2010, 06:19 AM
I haven't got that many expensive lenses and the ones I've got I've bought cheap and will not loose money on by selling. So I was (am?) considering changing system and I'm trying Nikon for the sports this weekend to see how it performs (Along with my Olympus kit)

But...The more I read I am actually Ok with the new E-5. The DR and ISO noise is still a drawback unless there's a massive improvement from the truepic III+ and Truepic V. I read a test yesterday where even the Sony NeX had about 2 stops advantage on the ISO of the EP-2. And this is a tiny camera(!) Most of the cameras perform better than Olympus on high ISO and I know it's not going to change. Just want an improvement.

I might stick with Olympus because most of the times I get great photos. But when I need to push ISO higher than 800 the quality drops to an unsellable level. After all the quality of the glass and the weight of the system with HG and SHG on is significantly lower than the other brands.

andym
16th September 2010, 07:40 AM
One question if Ian's looking in.On the pictures in the preview we seem to have lost the locking door for the card compartment.
Is it now just a snap shut/open arrangement like the other E series cameras?

Zuiko
16th September 2010, 07:51 AM
One question if Ian's looking in.On the pictures in the preview we seem to have lost the locking door for the card compartment.

Yes, it has lost the locking door and it is a snap shut/open arrangement, but whether it is exactly the same as other E-Series bodies I don't know.

Zuiko
16th September 2010, 08:01 AM
I haven't got that many expensive lenses and the ones I've got I've bought cheap and will not loose money on by selling. So I was (am?) considering changing system and I'm trying Nikon for the sports this weekend to see how it performs (Along with my Olympus kit)

But...The more I read I am actually Ok with the new E-5. The DR and ISO noise is still a drawback unless there's a massive improvement from the truepic III+ and Truepic V. I read a test yesterday where even the Sony NeX had about 2 stops advantage on the ISO of the EP-2. And this is a tiny camera(!) Most of the cameras perform better than Olympus on high ISO and I know it's not going to change. Just want an improvement.

I might stick with Olympus because most of the times I get great photos. But when I need to push ISO higher than 800 the quality drops to an unsellable level. After all the quality of the glass and the weight of the system with HG and SHG on is significantly lower than the other brands.

That's a very level headed response to the E-5. You're not letting Olympus off the hook just yet (why should you?) and you are rightly cautious about the extent of the claimed improvements (we're all waiting for some meaningful images), but you are at least giving the camera a chance to prove itself.

You also recognize that certain aspects of performance, improved though they may be, might still not match the best of the rest. However, it is clear that you will be basing your decision on the suitability of the package as a whole for your particular type of work rather than just on the headline high ISO performance.

I really do hope that the E-5 does produce sufficient quality in the areas that you now need for your particular type of work. *chr

Kiwi Paul
16th September 2010, 08:07 AM
Hi Catherine, I don't know why you have had problems with high ISO with the E3, I've taken many a shot at high ISO and the quality is fine, below is an example, E3, ISO 1600, 50-200 + EC-20. I have an A4 print on the wall and it's fine.

Paul

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_0TYZ-W4CVzA/Ss8_GhmpEWI/AAAAAAAAA5I/j3BTPj56HL4/s720/lrg_85123_1245622913.jpg

Radar
16th September 2010, 09:57 AM
However, it is clear that you will be basing your decision on the suitability of the package as a whole for your particular type of work rather than just on the headline high ISO performance.

It might just be as simple as me having to return to the sportswork I've done before: Outdoors. And just let the indoor sports be available for my training, not able to sell anything, and wait for a better quality option. After all: Changing system WILL cost a lot no matter how few lenses I've got. Canikon lenses with good glass is expensive.

Ian
16th September 2010, 10:44 AM

Hi Andy,

It's the same as the E-30 and E-620, you slide the door towards you and it unlocks and spring-loading swings it open.

Ian

Zuiko
16th September 2010, 10:44 AM
It might just be as simple as me having to return to the sportswork I've done before: Outdoors. And just let the indoor sports be available for my training, not able to sell anything, and wait for a better quality option. After all: Changing system WILL cost a lot no matter how few lenses I've got. Canikon lenses with good glass is expensive.

That would be a real shame, because you seem to be carving quite a niche with the indoor sports. If the E-5 gets you almost there would it be worth investing in faster glass rather than endure the cost and pain of changing systems?

Would hiring faster glass from Ian for specific events be cost effective? In fact, hiring an E-5 when it is available would at least enable you to experience first hand just how good (or not) it really is.

Just a couple of thoughts. :)

Ian
16th September 2010, 10:46 AM
I have another question Ian.

Now that the E5 does video & it being the flagship model that would be using the pro & super pro lenses, will we be seeing some more firmware updates for these lenses for CF in live view/video use or are these lenses only possible using video by MF only?

I guess Ian, the list of questions is increasing, but I thought this is an important one now.

Good question and I can't answer it just now, but I will add it to the others!

Ian

yorky
16th September 2010, 10:46 AM
Sometimes, I think we talk Olympus down so much so that we even believe the reviewer's comments. It is an improvement on the E3 butI am not sure it would make all that much differance in daily use that the price would suggest. If you think cannon/nikon are any better the choice is there. I doubt if you would notice any differance depending on the type of photography you want. Unless my E3 is struck by lighting I shant be changeing. For me the combination of E3 and EP 2 is ideal. Hopefully, there will be an E7 out before I need to change and as by then I will be well into my 80s I won't be able to carry it anyway :-(

Ian
16th September 2010, 10:52 AM

Jim

I was at the Nikon press launch of the D7000 yesterday wearing my DPNow.com hat. It's definitely a nice camera, but it's quite different to an E-5. The body is only partially magnesium alloy. It doesn't have an articulating screen. I don't expect the sealing to be comparable to the E-5's. It's only slightly faster with its 6fps shooting rate, although it does have more sophisticated video mode.

Ian

Ian
16th September 2010, 10:54 AM
Sometimes, I think we talk Olympus down so much so that we even believe the reviewer's comments. It is an improvement on the E3 butI am not sure it would make all that much differance in daily use that the price would suggest. If you think cannon/nikon are any better the choice is there. I doubt if you would notice any differance depending on the type of photography you want. Unless my E3 is struck by lighting I shant be changeing. For me the combination of E3 and EP 2 is ideal. Hopefully, there will be an E7 out before I need to change and as by then I will be well into my 80s I won't be able to carry it anyway :-(

Assuming that the image quality is at least as good as the Pens, and Olympus say it's slightly better, then an E-3 owner is going to see a very noticeable increase in detail resolution and at least a stop better high ISO headroom.

Ian

Wee man
16th September 2010, 11:09 AM
Just to put a different angle on the E5 I got an e-mail from a friend who swears by Canon saying " that’s a nice piece of kit. Are you surprised about the video element that Olympus have added? Seems to be other good additions also". I was interested to hear this from him without any prompting.
Looking forward to seeing shots but have it on my wish list for when the price drops.

PeterD
16th September 2010, 07:00 PM
Thought this might be of interest .

http://www.parkcameras.com/17084/Olympus-E-5-Body.html?gclid=CJ-xw_fPjKQCFQK_bwodxyRCIA

and this >>> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/27129/olympus-e5/

Bobpatchcott
16th September 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi, I must say I'm surprised by the number of negative comments here, lets wait and see some test results shall we,if they are as good as I hope they will be when the price drops to a sensible level [ hopefully by christmas ] I will buy one. remember both the E-1 and the E-3 have often been compared unfavourably with Nikon and Canon products but I have both and I think they are superb. Regards Bob

Zuiko
16th September 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi, I must say I'm surprised by the number of negative comments here, lets wait and see some test results shall we,if they are as good as I hope they will be when the price drops to a sensible level [ hopefully by christmas ] I will buy one. remember both the E-1 and the E-3 have often been compared unfavourably with Nikon and Canon products but I have both and I think they are superb. Regards Bob

Well said, Bob. :)

gooner3900
17th September 2010, 01:05 PM
For those interested Park Cameras are taking pre orders on the E 5 £1499.99 To include body an 8GB Extreme SDHC card and a pro leather DSLR Bag.
Just a bit to much for me at this time.

xp1
17th September 2010, 02:38 PM
Here's a link to a hands on preview video featuring the new E5. Quite interesting really and at around £1,500 I think it is going to stay that way for me for quite some time. Will just have to dream I suppose.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/499335/olympus-e-5-pro-dslr-announced-hands-on-preview-video.html

The Technician
17th September 2010, 02:53 PM
Do you notice in the video that he says the price is not yet been finalized :confused:

Greytop
17th September 2010, 10:18 PM
Here's a link to a hands on preview video featuring the new E5. Quite interesting really and at around £1,500 I think it is going to stay that way for me for quite some time. Will just have to dream I suppose.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/499335/olympus-e-5-pro-dslr-announced-hands-on-preview-video.html

Thanks for that, interesting hands on video.

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2010, 01:56 AM
Good question and I can't answer it just now, but I will add it to the others!

Ian

This is to Ian & others wanting to know the answer.

I have found an answer to part of the question I put forward above. It is in the PDF found in the News section of the Olympus Australia site. http://www.olympus.com.au/content/blogcategory/33/104/

Responsive Live View shooting featuring imager AF compatible with any Four Thirds
System lens and High-Speed Imager AF
With all Four Thirds lenses, auto focusing in Live View shooting is performed by an imager AF
that adjusts focus according to the AF signals received from the image sensor. When a lens
compatible with the High-Speed Imager AF is used, auto focusing is possible at even higher
speeds, while the expanded-frame AF makes it possible to select the distance-measuring
focus points regardless of the predetermined AF points. This makes Live View shooting much
easier, almost as easy as the PEN series cameras.
In the C (Continuous) - AF mode, both the focusing rate and the number of successively
recordable frames have been significantly increased compared to the E-3.*
* Firmware updating is required with some lenses. The release of the firmware is scheduled to coincide with the
official launch of the E-5

The next question is: Which lenses will have the update firmware? Also will these updates be effective in earlier model cameras too (E30, 620, 520 & 420/50)?

Greytop
19th September 2010, 09:08 AM
This is to Ian & others wanting to know the answer.

I have found an answer to part of the question I put forward above. It is in the PDF found in the News section of the Olympus Australia site. http://www.olympus.com.au/content/blogcategory/33/104/

The next question is: Which lenses will have the update firmware? Also will these updates be effective in earlier model cameras too (E30, 620, 520 & 420/50)?

That does sound encouraging, good find Ross *chr

OlyPaul
19th September 2010, 09:40 AM
Some may find these E-5 images interesting as a taster.:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/olddo/sets/72157624961956682/

And the only full size sample I could find

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/5001074987_b1e8c72497_o.jpg

Nick
19th September 2010, 12:41 PM
This is out new pro camera and we've put art filters in it... whyyy??!?!!!!

PeterD
19th September 2010, 01:43 PM
Some may find these E-5 images interesting as a taster.:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/olddo/sets/72157624961956682/

And the only full size sample I could find

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/5001074987_b1e8c72497_o.jpg

Thanks for posting the link Paul. These are the first real shots I have seen and they show great promise:)

I only wish that the gripeing would stop. Let's wait and see what deals are on offer at launch and the availablility of plenty of image samples. There are some features included that I would not be interested in but, what the hell. The way I look at it, Olympus have to try and appeal to a wide base and not just specialists like myself. I might even be tempted to use these features myself if they are available.

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2010, 01:48 PM

Why not? This is the replacement for the E3 which may also attract a creative enthusiast (like someone using an E520 ;)), the filters can make this camera more fun for them & the pro shooter can just not use them if they should desire. But then again, a pro shooter might like to be creative too without all the extra photoshopping afterwards (by saving jpeg & RAW to keep their options open). Why does a pro camera have to be bare bones?

Greytop
19th September 2010, 06:14 PM
Just spotted this link http://photofan.jp/camera/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7735&forum=2&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=20 on 'Depressing Review', it seems there are signs that Olympus may have pulled the Rabbit out of the hat with this one (Jpeg examples only I think).

PeterD
19th September 2010, 06:57 PM
Just spotted this link http://photofan.jp/camera/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7735&forum=2&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=20 on 'Depressing Review', it seems there are signs that Olympus may have pulled the Rabbit out of the hat with this one (Jpeg examples only I think).

Thank you posting the link. It certainly looks encouraging. Look forward to seeing more.

Zuiko
19th September 2010, 07:50 PM

Certainly looks very promising if these were shot on a level playing field under controlled test conditions.

In fact, wouldn't it be ironic if the E-5 fails to impress most Olympus users yet has the magazine testers bowled over with the image quality! Far fetched? I don't think so. It was always the case that if only Olympus could match sensor quality they would simply blow the competition away with lens quality. :D

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2010, 10:10 PM

With the rough translation that Yahoo Babel Fish gave me it still looks impressive in the comparisons. I wonder if this means that there will be a pro version of Viewer 2 to go with the E5 (& maybe with tethering) or just another update to viewer 2 where the RAW converter with this Fine Detail function is only effective with the E5 RAW files.

I went to Google translator (which was much better) & realised they were also having a winge about the mirror action in LV of Olympus cameras, but the photo camparisons do look promising.

Ian
20th September 2010, 05:36 AM

Have you actually tried using any of the Art Filters. Some of them are far from being gimmicks. And if you don't want to use them, don't. They have no negativing consequences for the rest of the camera.

Ian

Zuiko
20th September 2010, 08:14 AM
Have you actually tried using any of the Art Filters. Some of them are far from being gimmicks. And if you don't want to use them, don't. They have no negativing consequences for the rest of the camera.

Ian

It's the same as any feature. Why put video in what is essentially a stills camera? Why include Program mode in a pro body? Should a pro really be using AUto WB, what's that doing here?

When Olympus first included Live View in a DSLR it was derided by other brands and many photographers, especially the "serious" or "professional" photographers, as being a gimmick with little real value. Now, virtually every model, from the cheapest to the most expensive, has it.

Cameras are now so sophisticated and versatile that it is unlikely a photographer will make use of every feature, but that doesn't mean those unwanted features are not desireable to others. It is important for any manufacturer to make it's products desireable to as broad a range of photographers as possible, regardless of whether a particular model has a "pro" label attached to it. I'm sure some pros will use art filters.

As Ian says, if you don't like or don't want a particular feature, don't use it!

Makonde
20th September 2010, 09:28 AM
There's a lot of snobbery among those who like to think they are more 'serious' photographers! You know, the kind who criticise 'point and shoot' then just use their DSLRs on aperture priority or shutter priority all the time, press the shutter and let the camera do everything from focusing onwards....

I use Photoshop but there are many who don't have or want Photoshop, or to have to use a computer as an adjunct to their camera if they want to get their images they way they want them. I think Olympus have done well to recognise and provide facilities for in-camera RAW editing, art filters, and a good JPEG output, all of which enable a variety of worthwhile results, even though I don't personally take advantage of those things. (I would if I were traveling and sending images home to some publication, though).

It would be only if those facilities were provided at the expense of, rather than supplementary to, image quality that I would raise an eyebrow. I'm not one for gimmicks: but it seems to me that the things being rubbished are not in truth gimmicks but usable features which help to sell the product - which is in all our interests.

steverh
20th September 2010, 10:16 AM
To be objective, lots of the stuff like video, RAW editing and art filters is done in software already developed for other models. The cost of including them in the E5 is peanuts and it might enable them to sell more cameras.

As has been said before, you can just ignore them if you don't want to use them.

Ian
20th September 2010, 02:43 PM
The good news is that there are production spec. E-5s here at Photokina and I'm collecting mine tomorrow. I have also had half an hour loose with one around the Cologne Messe, so I have some publishable samples to upload.

For anyone asking about continuous shooting speed with C-AF on, I didn't have any birds of prey to track, but just shooting at a stationary subject the shooting rate was pretty much the same as with S-AF mode. I wasn't able to compare back to back with an E-3 or E-30, so maybe someone could do the same procedure with their camera and let me know what they get? I was also using an SD card, not a fast CF card.

Ian

emirpprime
20th September 2010, 02:52 PM
The good news is that there are production spec. E-5s here at Photokina and I'm collecting mine tomorrow. I have also had half an hour loose with one around the Cologne Messe, so I have some publishable samples to upload.

For anyone asking about continuous shooting speed with C-AF on, I didn't have any birds of prey to track, but just shooting at a stationary subject the shooting rate was pretty much the same as with S-AF mode. I wasn't able to compare back to back with an E-3 or E-30, so maybe someone could do the same procedure with their camera and let me know what they get? I was also using an SD card, not a fast CF card.

Ian

Good news :)

Does/did anything feel immediately different? How is the new button placement and LCD?

Ian
20th September 2010, 03:05 PM
Good news :)

Does/did anything feel immediately different? How is the new button placement and LCD?

The shutter seems a little more dampened.

I have no problems with the buttons, although it's a shame the IS button has disappeared.

The LCD is excellent. I do feel it makes critical focus checking easier.

Ian

PeterD
20th September 2010, 04:31 PM

Ian

If I understand this correctly, you are talking about focussing on a bird(s) in flight whilst in C-AF and with multi-frame shooting. I have been doing just that with the E3 for a couple of years and the camera remains locked throughout. I have never had a problem with this except, for deciding which frames to keep and which frames to throw away:confused: Rather than going for 5fps, I now reduce this because of the number of frames that are so similar.

Ian
20th September 2010, 04:38 PM
If I understand this correctly, you are talking about focussing on a bird(s) in flight whilst in C-AF and with multi-frame shooting. I have been doing just that with the E3 for a couple of years and the camera remains locked throughout. I have never had a problem with this except, for deciding which frames to keep and which frames to throw away:confused: Rather than going for 5fps, I now reduce this because of the number of frames that are so similar.

Hi Peter, I was hoping someone could try this on their E-3 or E-30; in C-AF mode with high speed continuous shooting on, shoot a sequence of shoots continuously and then try the same with S-AF mode, and note if there is any difference in shooting rate. Pointless, otherwise, I know, but it may help to identify any differences between the E-3 and E-5.

Ian

PeterD
20th September 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Peter, I was hoping someone could try this on their E-3 or E-30; in C-AF mode with high speed continuous shooting on, shoot a sequence of shoots continuously and then try the same with S-AF mode, and note if there is any difference in shooting rate. Pointless, otherwise, I know, but it may help to identify any differences between the E-3 and E-5.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I understand what you mean but S-AF and continuous shooting are not natural bedfellows as I understand it. Unless of course the focal distance between the camera and subject are fixed or the subject is sufficiently far away. S-AF is fixed at the time of shutter press whilst C-AF re-focusses at the time of exposure. At least I hope I have understood this right.
For the above reason, I never use continuous shooting and S-AF. That said, I have not actually recorded the frame rate using C-AF. I know it is fast by the lack of difference between each subsequent frame and of course the sound of the repetitive actuations. From experience, I cannot imagine what advantage (to me) of higher frame rates. As I said above, I have deliberately reduced it.

Getting back to the E5, what I have seen is encouraging and I have been waiting now for a year to retire my second camera (the E500) and I am pretty sure I shall buy the E5. Is Olympus planning any package deals on the early release?

Who's_E
21st September 2010, 03:58 PM
Hi Ian,

I understand what you mean but S-AF and continuous shooting are not natural bedfellows as I understand it. Unless of course the focal distance between the camera and subject are fixed or the subject is sufficiently far away. S-AF is fixed at the time of shutter press whilst C-AF re-focusses at the time of exposure. At least I hope I have understood this right.
For the above reason, I never use continuous shooting and S-AF. That said, I have not actually recorded the frame rate using C-AF. I know it is fast by the lack of difference between each subsequent frame and of course the sound of the repetitive actuations. From experience, I cannot imagine what advantage (to me) of higher frame rates. As I said above, I have deliberately reduced it.

Getting back to the E5, what I have seen is encouraging and I have been waiting now for a year to retire my second camera (the E500) and I am pretty sure I shall buy the E5. Is Olympus planning any package deals on the early release?

Ian,

Just fired some bursts on C-AF and S-AF from an E3. I used both low rate (4) and high rate for the bursts, pointed at a random area of sky to give a shutter speed of about 1/1250th. I just listened to the frame rate as I was firing. They were JPEG at LSF.

Those in C-AF sounded slightly slower than those in S-AF.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Radar
21st September 2010, 04:20 PM
Probably because C-AF refocuses between every photo. I notice the same when I shoot sport.

Ian
22nd September 2010, 07:48 AM
Ian,

Just fired some bursts on C-AF and S-AF from an E3. I used both low rate (4) and high rate for the bursts, pointed at a random area of sky to give a shutter speed of about 1/1250th. I just listened to the frame rate as I was firing. They were JPEG at LSF.

Those in C-AF sounded slightly slower than those in S-AF.

Hope this helps,

Nick

This seems to support my hunch that the TruePic V+ image processor is faster than the older engine in the E-3 as I can hardly tell any difference in shooting rate when using C-AF and S-AF on the E-5.

Ian

Who's_E
22nd September 2010, 08:33 AM
This seems to support my hunch that the TruePic V+ image processor is faster than the older engine in the E-3 as I can hardly tell any difference in shooting rate when using C-AF and S-AF on the E-5.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Good to hear it. That was one of my wish-list items for the E5 that doesn't necessarily appear on a specification sheet :)

Nick

michaelavis
22nd September 2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Ian,

Good to hear it. That was one of my wish-list items for the E5 that doesn't necessarily appear on a specification sheet :)

Nick

That's great, I was disappointed at the 5fps, but if the E-5 does that using C-AF I'm happy, yep, that's the trouble with making judgments solely on specs. The E-5 is getting more attractive every day, just need the street price to get down to £1000 or so.

Higher ISO looking good on these images too
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/olympus-e-5-preview-samples

Ian
23rd September 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for that Ian, because the only photo I have seen of this white battery is the back of it. It might have sped up the focus in my E30 a bit without the HLD-4 (going by peoples claims of this with the HLD-4 dual battery use). Can 2 of the BLM-5's be used in the HLD-4 or not (for the E5)?

The fourth contact on the BLM5 is a safety feature that only applies when the battery is being charged. The camera has the same three contacts as the BLM-1 and so BLM-1s work on the E-5 normally. I don't know if BLM-1s can be charged in the new charger or vice versa though.

Ian

Greytop
23rd September 2010, 08:35 AM
The fourth contact on the BLM5 is a safety feature that only applies when the battery is being charged. The camera has the same three contacts as the BLM-1 and so BLM-1s work on the E-5 normally. I don't know if BLM-1s can be charged in the new charger or vice versa though.

Ian

That is good news Ian, so if only the three contacts are used within the camera then it should follow that the HDL-4 is fully compatible with the E-5 too?

wezzzor
26th October 2010, 08:48 PM
hi lads,

new to the forum. Proud E system owner. not sure if this review has been seen yet but might be of interest.

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2010/10/olympus-e-5-review-on-streets.html

the E5 looks to be a cracking camera. i also found an image of side by side shots with a Nikon D3s, and at low iso the e5 was better. and RAZOR sharp.

wezzzor
26th October 2010, 08:53 PM
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/3264408859/photos/636793/100pct_crop_D3s-E5_1

here it is. E5 on the left. So much sharper.

Ian
27th October 2010, 10:03 AM
That is good news Ian, so if only the three contacts are used within the camera then it should follow that the HDL-4 is fully compatible with the E-5 too?

Yes, the HLD-4 is completely compatible with the E-5 and BLM-5 batteries. The only thing not possible is to charge a BLM-1 on a BC-5 charger. You can even charge a BLM-5 battery on a BC-1 or BC-2 charger.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
27th October 2010, 11:02 AM
Yes, the HLD-4 is completely compatible with the E-5 and BLM-5 batteries. The only thing not possible is to charge a BLM-1 on a BC-5 charger. You can even charge a BLM-5 battery on a BC-1 or BC-2 charger.

Ian

I thought you couldn't charge the BLM-5 with anything but its own charger.

benvendetta
27th October 2010, 11:15 AM
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/3264408859/photos/636793/100pct_crop_D3s-E5_1

here it is. E5 on the left. So much sharper.

It is not just about the E-5 but the use of top-notch glass on it that is giving these sharp images. The E-5 will be a great advert for HG and (especially) SHG glass!
Just don't use the E-5 with the kit lenses - as if anyone would ;)

Ian
27th October 2010, 04:29 PM
I thought you couldn't charge the BLM-5 with anything but its own charger.

No, the extra contact is to enable safer charging in the BC-5 charger, but I have charged a BLM-5 in a BC-1 without any problems.

Ian

michaelavis
27th October 2010, 08:02 PM
It is not just about the E-5 but the use of top-notch glass on it that is giving these sharp images. The E-5 will be a great advert for HG and (especially) SHG glass!
Just don't use the E-5 with the kit lenses - as if anyone would ;)

What lenses were used? I can't tell.