PDA

View Full Version : best lens for night shots

swifthalf
8th September 2010, 02:28 AM
hi i take a lot of night shots in near dark situations so what im looking for is advice on the best lens to use on my e 410 most shots will be taken with available light with some flash use in full dark conditions my cash available to spend at the mo is about 150 most shots will have buildings in with no light apart from moon light or natural light any advice would be great cheers

The Saint
8th September 2010, 12:32 PM
Swifthalf. Based upon your budget of 150, there is two way I can see you approaching this type of work. Firstly get a good stable tripod, if you haven't already got one, and as you will mainly be taking images of buildings can you get away with long exposure times with any lense, although noise might become an issue.

Alternatively/in addition you could look for a quick legacy OM lens and get the appropriate adapter, which you should be able to do within 150 although I'm not sure how wide an angle your looking for. In terms of specific legacy lenses I can't comment as I haven't used any.

As a final idea, if this is a one off project you could alway hire a len from here for a weekend/week, could get one of the top pro f2 lenses.

Simon

Alan Clogwyn
8th September 2010, 12:54 PM
If you are needing a fair amount of depth of field yourgoing to have to use a small aperture, regardless of what time of day, so I'd say invest in a good steady tripod. What lens have you got now?

swifthalf
8th September 2010, 01:03 PM
i have and use a tripod allready and this is a regular thing as im a member of a paranormal investigation team so most shots are night if i need to save a bit more money not a problem and i would not like to do manual focus i dont think cheers ps my lens is kit lens

Alan Clogwyn
8th September 2010, 01:09 PM
Interesting subject, my ex wife was very much into that too. Her preferred method was very small aperure and as long an exposure as possible.

StephenL
8th September 2010, 01:11 PM
You'll be struggling to do auto-focus in near-black conditions!

If you only require moderate telephoto lenses the best idea would be to get, say, an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens plus 4/3 adapter. Granted, it's manual focus, but you'll not get a cheaper 100mm equivalent lens with such a wide aperture in auto focus.

swifthalf
8th September 2010, 01:23 PM
ok need to experiment then with manual anybody recomend the best type of lens to get to use in manual someone told me a prime lens would be good if this is so can someone enlighten me more please

swifthalf
8th September 2010, 01:38 PM
ok just found the nens and adapter you were telling me about on ebay this is a prime lens then sorry to sound a bit of a noob but what does prime mean cheers matt

Adagio
8th September 2010, 02:29 PM
sorry to sound a bit of a noob but what does prime mean cheers matt

It means fixed focal length i.e. not a zoom lens.

swifthalf
8th September 2010, 02:46 PM
cheers thanks

Alan Clogwyn
8th September 2010, 03:06 PM
Legacy primes are hard to find under 28mm - so I'd have a good think when you're using your kit lens at what focal length you find yourself. You have to remember that a 35mm film camera lens will behave roughly like a 4/3 lens twice the focal length, so a 50mm film SLR lens will be like using a 100mm lens on the 410. 24mm is a good focal length, but maybe too tight for buildings, especially in a town or city. Anything smaller than that gets expensive and hard to find.

swifthalf
8th September 2010, 03:17 PM
its mainly castles and old halls not to buit up so i can step back a bit not had chance to do much yet used the camera for the first time at an mx race the weekend so not used in low light yet so not sure of range i would use most could do with some feedback on a few pics iv posted from the weekend if you dont mind allso have a look at my other recent posts cheers matt