PDA

View Full Version : Remote Flash Trigger

Ianf
6th September 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Anyone recommend a remote flash trigger to couple my E400 with a T20, dont do a lot of flash but would like the opportunity to try "off the camera " without breaking the bank. :confused:

Radar
6th September 2010, 05:18 PM
Look at Amazon and ebay for iShoot triggers. Bought mine for less than 20 and it's been very reliable.

bazza2764
6th September 2010, 07:10 PM
concur with above

snaarman
6th September 2010, 09:44 PM
+1 here

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham
6th September 2010, 10:34 PM
I have Six "SYK-3" slave triggers that I got off ebay for 3.68 each

Each one has a T-20 on it. I trigger them with the pop-up flash turned down to minimum.

Great fun

*chr

Ianf
7th September 2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Chaps,

Ordered an i shoot with one trigger , that should be fine for now, just playing with mono at the moment, want to throw some more flash in, still very much a novice.
*yes

Radar
7th September 2010, 06:31 PM
The second best thing you can get (next after an off-camera flash) is an umbrella on eBay for a fiver. It makes a HUGE difference in the photos. Some examples from a one-flash setup with umbrella:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/4961338693_74ec324bb9.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4957577697_363d43550a.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/4958148648_a5de86e66a.jpg

Ianf
7th September 2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info again, I will look on ebay for a brolly. hopefully have some pics for you to check out and give me some feedback.*chr

stevednp3
8th September 2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Radar

Thats some impressive lighting for stock photos from one flash and an umbrella, I have myself just bought a umbrella in the hope to try out some more creative off camera flash lighting

Would you mind sharing with us how you achieved those white background shots, ie how was the umbrella and flash positioned and distance, best camera settings etc

Thanks in advance *chr

Radar
8th September 2010, 09:59 AM
I bought a large piece of glossy white paper on WH Smith to use as a background. I bought a second fiece of glossy paper to use as a reflector on the opposite side of the flash. The large piece of paper is taped to the table in one end and bendt and taped to the top of a bottle on the high end.

Flash with silver reflective umbrella goes 45 degrees angle both in elevation and to the left. Taped the reflector to another bottle as close as possible to the items on the opposite side. Depending on what the item is you might want to change angles but testing and failing works fine.

Camera on a tripod with 2sec mirror lock up. I used my 50-200SWD on camera in Manual mode. ISO200, 1/160sec and adjusted ISO between 5.6 and 11 depending on subject and how much DOF i wanted. By using ISO200 I manage to give my flash faster recycling times and less heat develops in the flash as I use if quite often.

Flash is on the end of the umbrella to spread the light more. Flash in manual mode on 14-18mm to avoid spill of light in to the camera. I haven't made a GOBO yet.

How to find a usable GN? If the light travels 3 meters from flash, into the umbrella and to the object and looses 0.3EV on the way I have to calculate the GN for 4 meters. 4 meters and f5.6 on ISO200 gives me around GN12. I want to overexpose slightly so I use GN14 in this instance.

GN = distance x f-stop (on ISO100)

Divide the result by 2 on ISO200.

stevednp3
8th September 2010, 10:18 AM
I bought a large piece of glossy white paper on WH Smith to use as a background. I bought a second fiece of glossy paper to use as a reflector on the opposite side of the flash. The large piece of paper is taped to the table in one end and bendt and taped to the top of a bottle on the high end.

Flash with silver reflective umbrella goes 45 degrees angle both in elevation and to the left. Taped the reflector to another bottle as close as possible to the items on the opposite side. Depending on what the item is you might want to change angles but testing and failing works fine.

Camera on a tripod with 2sec mirror lock up. I used my 50-200SWD on camera in Manual mode. ISO200, 1/160sec and adjusted ISO between 5.6 and 11 depending on subject and how much DOF i wanted. By using ISO200 I manage to give my flash faster recycling times and less heat develops in the flash as I use if quite often.

Flash is on the end of the umbrella to spread the light more. Flash in manual mode on 14-18mm to avoid spill of light in to the camera. I haven't made a GOBO yet.

How to find a usable GN? If the light travels 3 meters from flash, into the umbrella and to the object and looses 0.3EV on the way I have to calculate the GN for 4 meters. 4 meters and f5.6 on ISO200 gives me around GN12. I want to overexpose slightly so I use GN14 in this instance.

GN = distance x f-stop (on ISO100)

Divide the result by 2 on ISO200.

Wow Radar you certainly know your stuff when it comes to flash lighting then ;) Thanks for the quick response that is very, very, very helpful.

Im waiting for my umbrella and mount to arrive from ebay and then I'll be having a go at some stock photos and referring to your notes above.

I'll be sure to make a post soon to show what I have achieved

Thanks again *chr

Radar
8th September 2010, 10:41 AM
Wow Radar you certainly know your stuff when it comes to flash lighting then

I Thank Amazon Kindle and Android for that :p I've bought some good books there ("Hot shoe diary", "Speedlight and Speedlites" and "Light: Science and magic") in addition to using www.strobox.com and strobist.blogspot.com

I've ordered 2 new YN-460II flashes to use remote for portraits and other types of photos and to have a play with during the winter months. Also need more flashes and umbrellas for a wedding I'm doing in December.

Ianf
8th September 2010, 03:09 PM
Hi, serious info, do you recommend silver brolly ?:confused:

Radar
8th September 2010, 04:43 PM
I prefer the nice reflection of the silver umbrella. But you can get gold umbrella for warm light (more for portraits) and probably white as well in reflective umbrellas. I associate white umbrellas with shoot through, which will be my next umbrella. Although you loose 0.7EV in a shoot-through umbrella it spreads the light nicely.

Ianf
8th September 2010, 06:18 PM
Way over my head at the moment but I`ve no doubt I will be asking more questions, it will be for portraits mainly so silver and gold look like a winner,
Many Thanks:D

Radar
8th September 2010, 07:42 PM
Tip: A shoot-through can be a fantastic light outside as it spreads the light even more than a reflective umbrella.

Ianf
8th September 2010, 09:37 PM
Just looked at the Gymnastics shots, my daughter is in a gymnastics comp on 3rd Oct, looking forward more now, those shots are pin perfect, hope to post some good ones for you all to check out. :)

theMusicMan
18th September 2010, 08:00 AM
I Thank Amazon Kindle and Android for that :p I've bought some good books there ("Hot shoe diary", "Speedlight and Speedlites" and "Light: Science and magic") in addition to using www.strobox.com (http://www.strobox.com) and strobist.blogspot.com

I've ordered 2 new YN-460II flashes to use remote for portraits and other types of photos and to have a play with during the winter months. Also need more flashes and umbrellas for a wedding I'm doing in December.
Hi Radar

I am about to embark on some dusk/night strobe shooting, and am wondering how the YN-460II flashes actually perform. I only have a single FL-50 just now and am looking to purchase another two flash lights.

Do you have any other suggestions...? or is this model the one to go for...?

PS: I appreciate that with this off camera flash set up (with several battery powered flash units) there is no TTL metering, it is all manual, and so as long as the flash fires with whatever setup one uses for triggering them, this is all that's needed.

Radar
18th September 2010, 08:12 AM
YN-460 II is good as off-camera light. It's not as easy to control as flashes with manual GN-settings as I find it easier to calculate the needed light :)

Just be careful not to overuse it as there's no fuse inside to stop it from being too hot.

theMusicMan
18th September 2010, 09:04 AM
YN-460 II is good as off-camera light. It's not as easy to control as flashes with manual GN-settings as I find it easier to calculate the needed light :)

Just be careful not to overuse it as there's no fuse inside to stop it from being too hot.
Thanks for the info Radar.

Do you suggest any alternates...?

Also Radar - I am considering purchasing this iShoot kit - is this suitable...?

http://www.ukhighland.com/ecom-prodshow/PT04A_3Rec.html

Thanks

Radar
18th September 2010, 06:56 PM
If you've got the money I will of course recommend Fl-36R and Fl-50R, but if you're trying to save money, like me, the YN is a good purchase. As long as you dont use it on full power and firing it right away after it's ready a LOT of times in a hot room you'll be fine. I use it as a fill- or separation light on a lower power setting and it's very good for that.

The iShoot looks great. Good thing that you can use it as remotes for studiolights as well which makes them a good purchase (if you're using studiolights)

theMusicMan
19th September 2010, 07:35 AM
Yep, I use studiolights, which is why I went for this version.