PDA

View Full Version : Which lens.....for portraits

roadkill_6mm
4th September 2010, 11:52 AM
Ok guys, its been a little while since I posted anything on here......been a little busy since the birth of my son!!

Currently I have an E-510 with the 2 kit lenses and the Oly 70-300mm and 50-200mm swd

Now, the 2 kit lenses are fine quality wise, however I compared 2 photos taken on a recent day out - one taken with the 14-42mm kit lens and one with the 50-200swd. The difference was very pronounced - the colours and sharpness of the 50-200 were fantastic compared to the kit lens.

Now I know its not comparing like for like here as the 50-200mm is more of a 'pro' lens a 800+ lens should perform a lot better that one costing a good few hundred pounds less.

So what lens would you recommend for portraits etc to give the same great results as the 50-200mm??

Price-wise my budget will be circa 500 (will be looking second hand more than anything)

Oh and dont let the old body worry you (the camera body, not me!) I will be looking to upgrade sometime in the future - providing a new model is announced this month! I'm seeing the investment in better glass as the best option at this stage and I'm quite happy with the results from the E-510 at the moment

regards

Neil

Radar
4th September 2010, 01:51 PM
Face portrait-style : Sigma 50mm f1.4. Narrow DOF and good quality.

roadkill_6mm
4th September 2010, 04:03 PM
Face portrait-style : Sigma 50mm f1.4. Narrow DOF and good quality.

Cheers for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it, though I am a bit put off by having a fixed focal length. Although I want it to take portraits with, I also want a bit of flexibility.

Neil

theMusicMan
4th September 2010, 04:15 PM
Neil, depending on budget, for portraits I'd go for...

Oly 35mm Macro - is a very good low cost lens for portraits
Oly 14-54mm (excellent portrait lens - I use this one)
Oly 50mm Macro (the sharpest of all Oly fixed lenses, and @f2 is blisteringly brilliant)
Oly 12-60mm - a class mid range lens, with an excellent focal range for portraits
Oly 35-100mm (the best ever Oly portrait lens and the most expensive)

Hope this helps.

roadkill_6mm
4th September 2010, 04:25 PM
Cheers for the reply John.

I think its going to boil down to the 14-54mm and the 12-60mm

With both the Sigma and the Oly 50mm prime I dont think its going to be wide enough

Neil

theMusicMan
4th September 2010, 04:31 PM
No problem, Neil.

I have been using the Oly 14-54mm mid range lens for a few years now for nearly all of my portrait shots. I've not had any complaints about this lens, it really is good value and produces clean, crisp and sharp images. I have also now acquired the immense Oly 50mm mainly for use with the aperture at f2 - it is so sharp you can cut your fingers if you're not careful, and I have also used the absolutely fantastic Oly 35-100mm F2 - and this is simply a class above anything else I have used.

The 12-60mm is slightly better/sharper than the 14-54mm, and I may go for this soon as I can't afford the 35-100!

roadkill_6mm
4th September 2010, 04:37 PM
what about the Sigma 18-50mm f2,8 EX DC Macro?

Anyone had any experience of this?

Neil

mcwill
4th September 2010, 08:24 PM
My vote would be for the 12-60mm SWD lens, performance wise it is comparable to the 50-200mm and in my view is the perfect companion.

The SWD would also give you improved AF speeds if you do opt to upgrade the body at a later date.

--
Iain

Radar
4th September 2010, 08:32 PM
My vote would be for the 12-60mm SWD lens, performance wise it is comparable to the 50-200mm and in my view is the perfect companion.

The SWD would also give you improved AF speeds if you do opt to upgrade the body at a later date.

--
Iain

Amen! *chr

roadkill_6mm
4th September 2010, 08:50 PM
Cheers Radar and Iain - looks like it'll be the 12-60mm SWD

Will now have to keep an eye out in the 'for sale' section!

Neil