PDA

View Full Version : Sunny thoughts...

Steve Lane
29th February 2008, 12:10 PM
Hello all,

just sat here watching the rain from the office window, and my mind 'wandered' onto sunnier things. So I thought I would look for a suitable image for critique. The link is;

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3338/size/big/cat/

Comments welcome!

Have a good day
Steve

emirpprime
29th February 2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Steve,
Its a good shot :) The kind of place i'd like to be right now instead of at a desk looking at the rain!
On the critique side, I would say that with the rocky areas at either side, and the shape of the tree brance it is quite a horizontal shot. This, combined with the rock and wood in the foreground that arn't very strong subjects, would lead to to crop up form the bottom into a more panoramic shape. I think this would increase the impact of the shot, focussing on the lushious blues and greens. Perhaps even just removing the rock and keeping all that nice tree shadows.

Certainly captured the feeling though, I can almost feel the sun on my shoulders, if it wasn't for the rain driving at my window that is...

All the best,
Phil

ps, this was supposed to be a very positive comment, but suggesting the crop as it is in the perfection forum, but it doesn't quite read like it so thought i'd add this disclaimer!

snaarman
29th February 2008, 03:17 PM
Nice attractive shot: Sun Sea and Shade..

I might have been tempted to take it from 2 feet lower, so that the tree ended up slightly higher, then the blue sky has space from left to right...

(Its great being wise after the event, especially if you weren't there in the first place :) )

Pete

Steve Lane
29th February 2008, 04:32 PM
Phil, Pete,

Many thanks for your comments...the picture makes me long for good weather and lazy days. I am returning here with my family this August (it can't come soon enough!!).

snaarman
29th February 2008, 04:59 PM
Well, we are off to Cyprus for a week shortly, not as hot at this time of year as Greece in the summer, but just right for us.

I will be taking the E400, the 11-22 and my Tamron 35-70 manual focus lens... Hope to come back with some nice shots to go in my gallery :-)

Pete

Scapula Memory
29th February 2008, 05:31 PM
This is a lovely image Steve, hard to fault from a composition point of view. I did find the image a touch bright especially the sand so I played around with it a bit and added a strip grad filter to enhance it somewhat. Here is the link

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3344

Let me know what you think, I have acknowledged your ownership and will remove at your request.

Steve Lane
5th March 2008, 11:01 AM
Hello John

Yes, I like what the result of toning down the brightness of the sand a bit. The original out of camera jpeg looked a bit like this, but the sky was a tad too dull. I never thought to be selective when brightening it!

Regards
Steve