PDA

View Full Version : Hot News - supposedly

Barr1e
30th August 2010, 08:21 AM
So many rumours - I wonder if dreams will come true.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-olympus-e-5-successor-to-be-annunced-on-tuesday-september-1-2-new-mft-lenses/

Regards. Barr1e

benvendetta
30th August 2010, 08:39 AM
the 'e-5' specs don't exactly set my world on fire! It needs to be a MAJOR upgrade for me to buy in.
Look at the technology in the recent Canon and Sony releases - we want that, and MORE. Oly are innovators - let's see some more innovation please.

theMusicMan
30th August 2010, 08:45 AM
The things I would like to see in a new Oly 43 DSLR are;

Much improved low light sensitivity
Spirit Level in viewfinder (as in E30)
Count down timer in Bulb mode - or manual setting of shutter speed up to 16 mins.
Interval timer (how absolutely daft is 'B' mode for long exposures without a cable or electronic trigger anyway!!)
More MyMode slots (2 is just nowhere near enough)
Wi-Fi / GPS built in (for direct and immediate upload to wherever)
2 CF card slots (scrap the slow and cumbersome and expensive SD)
'Faultless' Portrait Battery Grip
Multi-exposure options (primarily for flash effects)
No 'P' mode!!
A few more customisable or programmable buttons

But somehow I doubt if many of these features will be part of any new Oly 43 body. We'll see.

iMac
30th August 2010, 11:28 AM

I assume you mean xD not SD, I would like to see them scrap the xD and either add another CF slot or a SD slot. I am finding in my local area this it is getting harder to find CF card, but there are SD cards everywhere.

theMusicMan
30th August 2010, 01:55 PM
I assume you mean xD not SD, I would like to see them scrap the xD and either add another CF slot or a SD slot. I am finding in my local area this it is getting harder to find CF card, but there are SD cards everywhere.
Yep, sorry... xD. Thanks.

andym
30th August 2010, 02:04 PM

No 'P' mode!!

But somehow I doubt if many of these features will be part of any new Oly 43 body. We'll see.

Out of interest why no P mode??I must admit my E3 never comes out of A mode but just wondered if you had problems with program mode.

theMusicMan
30th August 2010, 03:55 PM
Out of interest why no P mode??I must admit my E3 never comes out of A mode but just wondered if you had problems with program mode.
Just jesting Andy.

I never use 'P', only 'M' and 'A'. Had there been no 'P' mode on my E3, I'd have learned how to use a camera properly well before I actually did!!

wanderer
30th August 2010, 04:12 PM
I've never used the P mode on a camera, although a couple of mine have had them over the years.
Using the P mode, to me, is like driving with your hands off the wheel. You're not in control.:eek:

As for Hot News,looking at the link the only remarkable thing is the lack of remarkable things.
Just another rumour. (however you spell it)

Back to normal, wait and see.;)

Duncan

Zuiko
30th August 2010, 09:31 PM
All the wait - for this? They could have released that upgrade 9 months ago. On the plus side, I won't be tempted to spend money I haven't got. But it is only a rumour and there might yet be a surprise.

To be honest, there is nothing wrong with my E-3. I've been out with it today and I love using it. In the space of less than three years it hasn't changed from dream camera to out-of-date nightmare, not for me anyway. Any spare money (that's not a concept I'm familiar with) would surely be better invested in extra glass at this stage.

wanderer
30th August 2010, 09:59 PM
To be honest, there is nothing wrong with my E-3. I've been out with it today and I love using it. In the space of less than three years it hasn't changed from dream camera to out-of-date nightmare, not for me anyway. Any spare money (that's not a concept I'm familiar with) would surely be better invested in extra glass at this stage.

I'm with you on that one.
I've just had the 7-14 for a weeks hire. Stunning! Its now the next glass I would like to buy. But at present relatively skint! :mad:

Duncan

Zuiko
30th August 2010, 10:13 PM
I've just had the 7-14 for a weeks hire. Stunning! Its now the next glass I would like to buy. But at present relatively skint! :mad:

Duncan

That's right, Duncan, unlike a camera body glass of that quality will never go out of date. I hope you are able to afford one before too long. :)

ChrisW
30th August 2010, 10:26 PM
This time last year there were umpteen rumours about the E3's successor being announced at Photokina 2009 .... rather than wait I bought a second hand E3 and enjoyed using a quaint, non-Canikon, noisy, non-full frame four thirds camera instead :D

Just noticed the rumored date of the E3's rumored successor announcement rumor has now been rumored to change to September 15th .... allegedly!

Cathrine Stephansen
31st August 2010, 08:41 PM

Duncan

Hmmm :D I hardly ever use mine any more after I fell in love with Lee ND filters! However, If they'd make NDs that would fit the 7-14mm...

Cathrine Stephansen
31st August 2010, 08:54 PM

Much improved low light sensitivity
Spirit Level in viewfinder (as in E30)
Count down timer in Bulb mode - or manual setting of shutter speed up to 16 mins.
Interval timer (how absolutely daft is 'B' mode for long exposures without a cable or electronic trigger anyway!!)
More MyMode slots (2 is just nowhere near enough)
Wi-Fi / GPS built in (for direct and immediate upload to wherever)
'Faultless' Portrait Battery Grip
Multi-exposure options (primarily for flash effects)
No 'P' mode!!
A few more customisable or programmable buttons

I definately DON't want a GPS IN a camera, I used to, but I've changed my mind!! I take thousands of photos during fieldwork, and I georeference them. I find that even good quality Garmin GPSes are fairly dodgy pieces of equipment, with antennas lasting much shorter than I would like a camera to last! I'd hate to have a piece of the camera not working any more. And I really don't need the video or fancy programs. Give me robust!
Still, I hope they deliver - and soon!! I'll settle for more detail and higher image quality at higher ISO's! I'm first in line. It will probably reach Norway as slow as iPads, though. Grrr!:D

wanderer
31st August 2010, 09:12 PM
If they'd make NDs that would fit the 7-14mm...

What on earth would the price be?:rolleyes:

Duncan

Radar
1st September 2010, 05:44 AM
It will probably reach Norway as slow as iPads, though. Grrr!:D

I'll buy one here in UK and will bring it over for you when I'm going home. :)

theMusicMan
1st September 2010, 06:40 AM
Hmmm :D I hardly ever use mine any more after I fell in love with Lee ND filters! However, If they'd make NDs that would fit the 7-14mm...
I am not sure if it is Lee, but there is a company who make filters for the Nikon wide angle - I think it's the 12-24mm - the bulbous one same as Oly 7-14 - that appears impossible to attach a filter onto. I spotted the post on Talkphotography a few months ago.

I doubt very much they will ever make one for the Oly 7-14 though as I doubt there are as many sold.

Might be worth taking a look though.

David Gethin
1st September 2010, 07:36 AM
Hardly very portable but here's one solution that could immediately be applied to the 7-14mm:
http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/category-photographic-technique/371-steve-fines

And John you were right, it is Lee. Here is an article on the prototype that is now in production:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Lee-Filters-holder-for-Nikons-1424mm-f28-wideangle-lens-12507

Cathrine Stephansen
1st September 2010, 01:29 PM
What on earth would the price be?:rolleyes:

Duncan

Probably twice what the 7-14mm costs :D

It's safe to dream about it without having to worry about the cost, they'll never make one is my guess... :D

Cathrine Stephansen
1st September 2010, 01:35 PM
Hardly very portable but here's one solution that could immediately be applied to the 7-14mm:
http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/category-photographic-technique/371-steve-fines

And John you were right, it is Lee. Here is an article on the prototype that is now in production:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Lee-Filters-holder-for-Nikons-1424mm-f28-wideangle-lens-12507

Ahh, that's neat! Gotta try some DIY! *chr I wonder whether the Lee-holder would fit an Oly?

sapper
1st September 2010, 08:33 PM
So many rumours - I wonder if dreams will come true.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-olympus-e-5-successor-to-be-annunced-on-tuesday-september-1-2-new-mft-lenses/

Regards. Barr1e
See this.
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6945517/

sapper
1st September 2010, 08:37 PM
I've never used the P mode on a camera, although a couple of mine have had them over the years.
Using the P mode, to me, is like driving with your hands off the wheel. You're not in control.:eek:

As for Hot News,looking at the link the only remarkable thing is the lack of remarkable things.
Just another rumour. (however you spell it)

Back to normal, wait and see.;)

Duncan
Surely using P mode is more like driving an automatic. When newcomers to the hobby ask me what settings to use, I say, P mode, learn to develop your eye.

Cathrine Stephansen
2nd September 2010, 01:00 PM
See this.

That was so funny!

Zuiko
2nd September 2010, 03:03 PM
See this.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! :D *chr