PDA

View Full Version : what speed CF card for E620

Kittykat23uk
23rd August 2010, 10:50 AM
Hi all,

what speed/manufacturer would you recommend as best for the E620? I need enough memory for my three week africa trip - how many/which size cards would you recommend?

Also a question about XD cards, do they have to be olympus branded for panorama mode to work? I have a fuji one from my other camera.

Many thanks

Jo

pepper
23rd August 2010, 11:03 AM
For the memory cards I'd go for a few smaller 2Gb fast cards, ie Sandisk Extreme III rather than 1 large memory card, which if it went wrong would mean all your images would be lost!

You are right about the panoramic feature only being able to be used with Olympus XD cards, if you want to use the feature you will have to obtain one of those too!

benvendetta
23rd August 2010, 11:53 AM
You don't need Oly xD cards to take panos if you have third party software that can do it. I wouldn't bother with xD cards.
As for CF cards I use 4 or 5 4GB SanDisk ones (Extreme 2 or 3). Good thing is that they come with their own image retrieval software should you lose your piccies (or at least they used to).
Saved my life a number of times!

jonesy
23rd August 2010, 12:13 PM
I have an olympus xD card, but I only use it as an emergency "backup" if I run out of space while out shooting.
My main cards are sandisc and kingston. Never had a problem with them.
As for the pano, I found that its so easy to use Microsoft ICE that I wouldnt dream of using my xD card for any panos I want to take.
Have a great trip!

Radar
23rd August 2010, 08:59 PM
Depends on what you're taking photos of. If you just need one photo taken now and then and no multi-frames then a cheap 80x card will do. I do sports and sometimes I need a good transfer rate on my cards so I need 233x or better. But if you're shooting landscapes or just family you don't need a fast card. It all comes down to how much you want to spend on cards.

I've got 4x 4GB cards. 2 which are 300x, 1 is 233x and one back-up card is 80x.

Kittykat23uk
24th August 2010, 09:17 AM
Hi all, thanks for the tips. My photo interests are mainly wildlife including birds in flight. So would be useful to have a few fast cards but I'm keen not to spend more than I need to and I'm aware that sometimes it's the camera that limits the speed so top speed cards are not necessarily worth the money. My OH has some that I can take with me on this trip, so I won't need more than a couple of extras for my own use generally.

Thanks

Jo

j.baker
24th August 2010, 11:35 AM
Currently anything about x300 is wasted on the E series of camera. Ian (forum owner/admin) wrote an article a while back.

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/07/highspeed_memory_cards_tested_with_the_latest_olym pus_eseries_dslrs.php

I use x266 and x300 speed cards. 4GB for emergency and 8/16GB for general use. On a good way I will fill an 8GB card on my own, with my wife filling about 3GB.

I use Sandisk and Lexar, purchased from Amazon, Play and 7dayshop.

Kittykat23uk
24th August 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks John just the sort of info I was after! :)

Ross the fiddler
24th August 2010, 11:56 AM
Depends on what you're taking photos of. If you just need one photo taken now and then and no multi-frames then a cheap 80x card will do. I do sports and sometimes I need a good transfer rate on my cards so I need 233x or better. But if you're shooting landscapes or just family you don't need a fast card. It all comes down to how much you want to spend on cards.

I've got 4x 4GB cards. 2 which are 300x, 1 is 233x and one back-up card is 80x.

I wouldn't recommend any cheap card. The safest is what Olympus recommends, Sandisk CF. I use 8GB Extreme IV @ 45MB/s & 8GB Extreme (no number) @ 60MB/s & also have an older Extreme III 4GB @ 30GB/s. If you are taking jpeg & RAW, then I wouldn't use anything less than 4GB. I prefer to save both to have the JPEG for when it doesn't need anymore tweaking & the RAW for when it does. For bird shots, you are likely to take some sequential shots which requires a fast card write speed & large enough capacity to take all the frames you end up with. You don't need as fast as above but at least go for Extreme II.

The XD card is good to have in the camera as a back up. Using the Olympus one will give you the allignment frames in live view for your pano shots, otherwise use some other program to stitch them together. Remember for panographic shots use (if not using the programmed panographic mode) M (manual settings) to set the exposure to one setting & the focus to manual (with a smaller aperture for sufficient depth of field) for one setting to allow seamless stitching for shade & focus.

Hope that helps & I'm not telling you something you already know.

*chr

Kittykat23uk
24th August 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks! That's very helpful.:D