PDA

View Full Version : Pleeeaaase! Is it coming soon?

Cathrine Stephansen
19th August 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm in desperate need of a new body. That would be camera body...

All I can find about an expected E5 is some reall old rumours from 2009 and May this year.

Does anyone know when the E5 is to be launched and any features? Or will they launch it at Photokina next month?

My E3 needs some repairs, as I've evidently worn out (!) some of the functions. Live view is not working properly and a couple of other functions are dodgy. I've taken many thousands of photos with the E3, and apart from a screw-cap missing, you can't even see it's been used. But there seems to be something wrong with both the mirror and light measuring when using live view. However, I can still take pictures, just have to do things manually, but I'd really like to get a new body before the E3 goes on some well-deserved R&R. I need an extra camera body for work anyway, and don't want to get another E3. I'm hoping the upgrade will be even better for telephoto wildlife shots during fieldwork, so I don't have to switch between the 12-60 and the 50-200 all the time, as in a field-day I could take up to 2500 coastline documentary shots in a day...

Any news of the E5?

Zuiko
20th August 2010, 12:00 AM
I know it is frustrating but with Photokina so close I really don't see Olympus releasing any details before then. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the E-5 will be revealed then.

There are plenty of rumours but in my view these only serve to confuse, worry or build up false expectations. I'm afraid we'll all just have to wait, although with all the damage the uncertainty is doing to the brand I cannot see why Olympus don't just issue a statement of intent RIGHT NOW. I know that would lessen the impact I'm sure they hope to make at Photokina but IMO the Olympus marketing department needs a swift kick up the **** and a reality check. :mad:

Let's just hope for good news when it finally comes. :)

Nick Temple-Fry
20th August 2010, 12:37 AM
I know it is frustrating but with Photokina so close I really don't see Olympus releasing any details before then. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the E-5 will be revealed then.

There are plenty of rumours but in my view these only serve to confuse, worry or build up false expectations. I'm afraid we'll all just have to wait, although with all the damage the uncertainty is doing to the brand I cannot see why Olympus don't just issue a statement of intent RIGHT NOW. I know that would lessen the impact I'm sure they hope to make at Photokina but IMO the Olympus marketing department needs a swift kick up the **** and a reality check. :mad:

Let's just hope for good news when it finally comes. :)

John - I suspect that Olympus think about their new body in much the same way as I think about my old one.

We both hope that at some unspecified time in the future it will be superb and the object of lust and envy. Whilst fearing that it may instead end up discontinued.

Nick

Zuiko
20th August 2010, 01:09 AM
John - I suspect that Olympus think about their new body in much the same way as I think about my old one.

We both hope that at some unspecified time in the future it will be superb and the object of lust and envy. Whilst fearing that it may instead end up discontinued.

Nick

I can relate to that! :D

benvendetta
20th August 2010, 06:03 AM
There is lots of speculation about the next big Oly on DPReview's Oly SLR forum. But it is ONLY speculation. Olympus are very tight lipped.
It is good that our forum hasn't been awash with all that stuff (at least not yet............!) ;)
Photokini is only a few weeks away now.

snaarman
20th August 2010, 07:01 AM
E5? Well I watch and wait with interest - but :eek: 2500 shots per day :eek:

Clearly I should get out more!

Pete

Who's_E
20th August 2010, 10:15 AM
Maybe we should all be frequenting bars near Olympus offices hoping that an absent minded worker has left a production ready E5 on a table.

Then again, it might not work properly...

Nick

Cathrine Stephansen
20th August 2010, 10:25 AM
Snaarman,

The 2500 shots a day are during very specific fieldwork. :D I can console you that many of those images are not very well composed, and I have to trust the camera for sturdy light metering etc.

I work with oil spill response and planning, and environment. For that, we find that doing photographic inventories of the coastline, logistical and environmental parameters is a very useful tool. We photograph the coastline more or less continuously, working from a boat. The camera serves as a notebook, all photos are georeferenced, some are made available through map systems, others are actually good enough for reports or even my private web gallery. Most, however are photographically not very interesting, but serve to pinpont where important resources or difficut shoreline types are located.

With the robust E3, I have even got sharp, usable coastline images while the boat is moving at a high speed, making the whole thing very efficient. I am impressed with focusing and the lightweight system is an absolute MUST for me (although the E3 and High grade lenses is in the heavier Oly department :). When I was planning to buy a totally new camera system for this purpose (I use my private camera for work) I lifted both a Nikon and a Canon with the quality and lenses I wanted, but dismissed them immediately when I was shown the E3 and a 50-200 SWD. During a two-hour flight around Bear Island using a heavy Nikon with a 200 mm f/2.0 i was more exhausted than after 8 hours with the E3 and company.

My wishlist for E5 would include the same robustness and weather proofing, better high ISO handling, even better AF-C functions, and better resolution to match the glass. What I need is a better and a second camera for wildlife shots, as they are also taken during difficult conditions (no lying around in camo waiting for the birdies :D) on moving boats and waves, in the type of weather Norway has on the coastline. Come to think of it, you UK people can relate to the weather issue, ha ha. I will then reserve my beloved E3 for the 12-60mm for general overview shots (when it comes back from the health farm), and the new wonder for the telelens. I am very pleased with the E3 live view functions (once I get it repaired!)

I now have so many lenses that I do hope the E-system proves to be a choice for the future, and that it isn't discontinued. I personally think that sealing ones lips about future development is not a very good idea. I don't know about the market position in the UK, but in Norway, practically no one uses Olympus DSLRs. Nikon and Canon totally dominate the market, and Olympus needs to provide a security that the system will be continued. Otherwise, I think people will move away from it.

I am seriously considering selling all the E-system gear and going for Pentax K7 in stead, which is almost as lightweight. My colleague has it, along with some lovely lenses. He often gets far better quality resolution during telephotography than the E3 does. I don't know whether it's the lenses or the camera, but I'm dying to try the new E for comparison!

Adagio
20th August 2010, 03:36 PM
I am seriously considering selling all the E-system gear and going for Pentax K7 in stead, which is almost as lightweight.

Does the Pentax have better guarantee of a future than Oly?

stevednp3
20th August 2010, 06:01 PM
Im too concered about the future of Olympus, they seamed to have let the DSLR range slip lately and not releasing a high end model for such a long time is really worrying :mad:

For years I have stood up to canon and nikon owners who stand there and diss my olympus camera but im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.

Im not thinking of switching because of tech, but buying lenses etc is meant to be an investment and if Olympus give up on the dslr range and concentrate on the micro range, we are all screwed, so I'd prefer to sell up now while I can :(

Problem is im sure im not the only one thinking like this, considering the amount of olympus kit being sold at the moment. :eek:

Zuiko
20th August 2010, 06:09 PM
Im too concered about the future of Olympus, they seamed to have let the DSLR range slip lately and not releasing a high end model for such a long time is really worrying :mad:

For years I have stood up to canon and nikon owners who stand there and diss my olympus camera but im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.

Im not thinking of switching because of tech, but buying lenses etc is meant to be an investment and if Olympus give up on the dslr range and concentrate on the micro range, we are all screwed, so I'd prefer to sell up now while I can :(

Problem is im sure im not the only one thinking like this, considering the amount of olympus kit being sold at the moment. :eek:

There's only a month until Photokina, why not wait to see what Olympus have to offer? We might all get a very nice surprise and if they come up with the goods for the E-5 you can bet a similar upgrade to the E-30 will follow as soon as manufacturing capacity allows. Everything will then look very rosey again. :)

Jim Ford
20th August 2010, 06:48 PM
im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.

On another forum I frequent a 7D owner scrapped his camera by getting it wet in the rain!

Jim

Cathrine Stephansen
20th August 2010, 07:18 PM
Does the Pentax have better guarantee of a future than Oly?

I don't know, but that camera has better image quality than my E3 from what I've seen ;)

stevednp3
20th August 2010, 07:20 PM
Cheers guys yeah ill at least wait till then to see if a new body does get revealed ;)

Cathrine Stephansen
20th August 2010, 07:48 PM
Me too! I can wait till Photokina :D

Barr1e
20th August 2010, 08:48 PM
Just remember - I'm first in the queue! *yes ;)

Regards. Barr1e

Cathrine Stephansen
20th August 2010, 08:57 PM
:) Well, we should at least provide a market, they just need to deliver!!

*chr

Greytop
20th August 2010, 09:35 PM
I don't know, but that camera has better image quality than my E3 from what I've seen ;)

Cathrine, you may be interested to know that I came from Pentax 'back' to Olympus.
Pentax make great gear and I really enjoyed my K20D which was later replaced by the excellent K-7, however I found Pentax zooms to be quite variable in quality, even their DA* range, having to concentrate on certain apertures in certain circumstances is no fun plus the slightly lethargic autofocus system can be frustrating. I will say that their primes are very nice but prime shooting is not my cup of tea.
Ultimately I missed the sheer optical quality of my Oly Pro zooms so I moved back.

For your info I had the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4 as well the kit WR zooms and some other primes for portrait work and macro.

Greytop
20th August 2010, 09:46 PM
:) Well, we should at least provide a market, they just need to deliver!!

*chr

Just to add I am as eager as anyone to see what Olympus has dreamed up for the E-5.
No doubt I will very likely buy one but more than that I think Olympus has to reach out further than it's existing customer base with this camera. They have to appeal customers considering the 7D, D300s and K-7 successor (also rumoured for September).
The E-5 really does need to back a punch to surprise the competition and thus help cement the future of 4/3 system. Glass is definitely Oly's strength but a killer body, the odd new lens would begin to get peoples serious attention again (all IMHO) :)

Cathrine Stephansen
20th August 2010, 10:41 PM
Cathrine, you may be interested to know that I came from Pentax 'back' to Olympus.
I had a K-7 and the K-20 before that. Both wonderful cameras no doubt about it.... but (and for me there was a big 'but') if zooms are your lens of choice the Pentax glass doesn't match up to Olympus. At optimum aperture every thing may be fine but stray out of that range for one reason or another and you may have very soft corners or other image problems. I'm not saying Pentax glass is bad, it just doesn't match to Pro or Top Pro glass from Oly in my humble opinion. That is the main reason why I came back to Oly.
Now if you are talking primes then the story may of course be different ;)

For your info I had the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4 as well the kit WR zooms and some other primes for portrait work and macro.

The lens my colleague uses that is my source of envy isn't a zoom but a prime, a Pentax 300mm 2.8 which wasn't even too expensive! It's lovely and sharp. He gets much better wildlife shots than I do with my E3 and ED50-200 SWD and EC14 teleconverter. You can definately see the difference in birds eyes etc. It's always the combination of camera and lens, pixels and glass quality. And a converter doesn't help... I would love to be able to afford the 300 mm 2.8 Olympus...

Greytop
21st August 2010, 12:41 AM
The lens my colleague uses that is my source of envy isn't a zoom but a prime, a Pentax 300mm 2.8 which wasn't even too expensive! It's lovely and sharp. He gets much better wildlife shots than I do with my E3 and ED50-200 SWD and EC14 teleconverter. You can definately see the difference in birds eyes etc. It's always the combination of camera and lens, pixels and glass quality. And a converter doesn't help... I would love to be able to afford the 300 mm 2.8 Olympus...

Yes Pentax certainly make some nice primes but as you have identified the Oly 300mm f/2.8 would be a much fairer comparison for image quality and speed.
The 300 f/2.8 your colleague is using is very likely to be the FA* 300 http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/extreme-tele/FA300f2.8.html this lens is no longer manufactured but is available occasionally second hand. The current 300mm prime is the DA* f/4 version http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_Star_300mm_F4_ED%28IF%29_SDM/ with the SDM focus motor as opposed to screw drive technology used in the FA range. Perversely the older technology works better for focus speed with Pentax bodies, the newer SDM motor lenses are quiet but sadly rather slow.

Radar
21st August 2010, 07:42 AM
I would love to be able to afford the 300 mm 2.8 Olympus...

Amen! Would love to be able to use it for sports but I guess I have to sell more photos first :(

E-3
21st August 2010, 12:46 PM

You are thinking exactly the same as me! The question I keep asking myself is even if Olympus do bring out a couple more 4/3 bodies can we then trust them to keep 4/3 going from there onwards? They really don`t help them selfs by their lack of communication to their loyal customer base! :mad: