PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening?

baldyb
17th August 2010, 10:20 PM
What in camera setting do other owners use for sharpening? This is a completely new area of detail for me and I'd appreciate any advice!:confused:

Wrotniak and Biofos seem to favour n-1 (with noise filter @ low) so I did some test shots using my 14-54 (i) lens and a 14-42 but at these settings the results seemed to lack fine detail, especially when cropped. I could recover some of this fine detail in Master2 but the quality of the rest of the image then seemed to be reduced (but I don't know why).

This question only really cropped up as I recently bought a panasonic tz10 (very impressed, by the way) so thought it would be interesting to do a comparison to the oly and was surprised by the seemingly higher levels of fine detail that the tz10 captured straight ooc.

Radar
7th September 2010, 08:40 AM
When I want to use JPG's I use +1 on sharpening. But I rarely use jpg's unless it's my wife using the camera. RAW gives me full control of the sharpening in Lightroom.

Barkly
5th May 2011, 08:56 AM
I agree with radar - shot in RAW - then process in PS or LR or whatever. Don't let the camera process for you.

Wreckdiver
5th May 2011, 09:06 AM
What's JPEG? my cameras have never ever taken one.

Steve

molgrips
17th May 2011, 09:58 AM
I've been messing about with JPEGs lately. Seems like gradation set to normal and picture type to 'natural' instead of vivid make quite a bit of difference.

Sharpening I use +1.

I take RAW and JPEG, which gives me the option of having a go at the RAW if I feel it's necessary.

Ian
17th May 2011, 10:02 AM
I also shoot RAW + JPEG but mainly use Lightroom to process from RAW. But when I was using the E-5 in the Philippines last year, before RAW support was available in Lightroom, I was reminded just how good the Olympus JPEGs can be. The E-5 also has very good edge sharpening for JPEGs, a noticeable improvement even on the E-30's in-camera JPEGs.

As for sharpening, I never use anything but the default for in-camera JPEGs. If they need sharpening, I'll do that in Lightroom.

Ian

Zuiko
17th May 2011, 01:28 PM
I choose JPEG or raw according to the subject, conditions and expected end product. For JPEGs I set sharpening in camera to -1. This applies minimal sharpening and allows me to choose the amount of further sharpening later in pp. You can always add more, but you can't take it away. :)

Ian
17th May 2011, 01:59 PM
I choose JPEG or raw according to the subject, conditions and expected end product. For JPEGs I set sharpening in camera to -1. This applies minimal sharpening and allows me to choose the amount of further sharpening later in pp. You can always add more, but you can't take it away. :)

A true PRO strategy :)

Ian

Janet
17th May 2011, 06:59 PM
I shoot both RAW and JPEG, and mostly the RAW isn't needed, unless I've totally stuffed something up!

I have absolutely no idea what in-camera settings I'm using...I'd better dig the manual out and have a look as I don't know what the defaults are...

.........back in a minute.........

After checking, I find I have gradation set to normal and picture type to 'natural'...it works for me.

I'm more than happy with the results 99% of the time, but on occasions RAW has allowed me an escape route and enabled me to recover a shot.

Janet

sponner
7th June 2011, 10:28 PM
I use JPEG + RAW and more often that not use the JPEG, reverting to the RAW file to recover blown highlights etc. in the main.

TBH I have no idea what I am doing with PP of RAW files and I think my software/monitor/general skill level is limiting me (stand by for future brain picking).

I found this page useful.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e620_set.html