PDA

View Full Version : The fourthirds system

edmund473
17th August 2010, 08:51 AM
made a enquiry regarding the future of the fourthirds system and this is the reply.

Dear Mr. Ralph, Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in our next Four Thirds system camera. Firstly, we would like to express our appreciation for your loyalty to Olympus for these six years. While appreciating your interest, we don't have information regarding a new release of Four Thirds system camera that we can announce to customers now. However, we are fully confident to say that we will continue to develop our Four Thirds System products in the future. We hope for your continued support for Olympus Four Thirds products. Thank you. Best regards,

M. HigaCustomer Support CenterOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan.

Greytop
17th August 2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for sharing that *chr
I'll take that as a positive reply from Olympus, I would imagine that it's release of the new top flight body is what he cannot 'announce' right now.
Lets see what transpires over the next few weeks.

Zuiko
17th August 2010, 09:06 AM
Yes, reading between the lines it could be interpreted that there is one but they cannot tell us about it just yet. What a scoop it would have been if they had! :D

edmund473
17th August 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for sharing that *chr
I'll take that as a positive reply from Olympus, I would imagine that it's release of the new top flight body is what he cannot 'announce' right now.
Lets see what transpires over the next few weeks.

Yes you noticed Right now sounds positive to me you picked up my thoughts on that JohnR

Zuiko
17th August 2010, 09:19 AM
I'll be amazed if they DON'T announce a new Four Thirds body at Photokina - and everything points to it being the E-5. If they didn't things would look rather bleak.

edmund473
17th August 2010, 09:31 AM
We will know soon John Photokina 2010 Germany / September.

yorky
17th August 2010, 09:33 AM
My bet on the next announcement is that it will be a succesor to the micro 4/3rds.

edmund473
17th August 2010, 09:40 AM
My bet on the next announcement is that it will be a succesor to the micro 4/3rds.

Yes could be Yorky. There is stiff competition between the makers for all micro systems. My knowledge is only what I have read on the web. (that rhymes)

Zuiko
17th August 2010, 02:52 PM
There may well be a MFT camera as well, but I'll be astonished if there isn't a Four Thirds body and surprised if it's anything other than a pro spec replacement for the E-3. :)

Greytop
17th August 2010, 04:24 PM
There may well be a MFT camera as well, but I'll be astonished if there isn't a Four Thirds body and surprised if it's anything other than a pro spec replacement for the E-3. :)

Agreed, anything other than the E-3 replacement would be sadly be quite a negative statement from Olympus and would signal further doubts about it's commitment to continuing the 4/3 system.

Nova Invicta
31st August 2010, 04:10 PM
Olympus seem to have forgotten the original 4/3rds system in favour of micro 4/3rds. This surely must dampen sales of 4/3rds lenses and accessories and its interesting to note more & more camera stores have stopped selling the larger 4/3rds cameras, lenses & accessories and seem to only offer Olympus compact cameras. Im beginning to wonder whether I should have stuck with Canon?

Greytop
31st August 2010, 04:18 PM
I think the 'acid' test will be in a couple of weeks time. I wouldn't be too concerned as Olympus have stated that the 4/3 system will continue and that they intend to shortly introduce a new 4/3 body.

Lets see what transpires in the near future :)