PDA

View Full Version : IR filters

iMac
11th August 2010, 04:17 PM
I wonder if anyone has tried these cheap China / Hong Kong filters like these (http://www.linkdelight.com/Infrared/67mm-Infrared-IR-Pass-720nm-Glass-Filter-for-Camera-Lens/Detailed-product-flyer.html) and if so what the results were like? I ordered one and it has arrived today, I'm not expecting it to be the best but I guess one never knows until you try right.

benvendetta
11th August 2010, 04:27 PM
I got one last year (cost about 18). Not overlly impressed so far but I have not really read up too much about getting the best out of it (can't really complain as 'proper' ones are around the 100 mark). Be prepared for multi-minute exposure times (tripod use only) and focusing before fitting. I tend to forget I have mine but I should really dig it out and give it another go.
John (the Musicman) is an advocate of IR filters and should be able to help when he is back from his holiday! Might even have taken his with him to Egypt!

iMac
11th August 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave, yeah I'm not really expecting to get images like John's great IR shots, but I thought it would be fun to try out and see what we can come up with. I also picked up one of their ND filters as well a ND8 that I want to try for some slower shutter speeds for outdoor shots, and see how it might work out using it with my monolight setup for portraits where I want use a little larger Aperture.