PDA

View Full Version : EC-14 teleconverter

Bonsaidad
11th August 2010, 12:54 AM
I was in the process of getting an EC-14 teleconverter from Warehouse Express,but was told that my 70 to 300mm would not auto focus with this combination.
Is this correct?.

Best regards Paul

theMusicMan
11th August 2010, 05:31 AM
No Paul, that is not correct. Your 70-300 +EC14 will work perfectly well together. Checkout some puffin shots on my gallery if you need to check.

peak4
11th August 2010, 05:54 AM
Perhaps you should take them at their word and have a chat to Yalcrab (http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7580) :D

Bonsaidad
11th August 2010, 09:55 AM
No Paul, that is not correct. Your 70-300 +EC14 will work perfectly well together. Checkout some puffin shots on my gallery if you need to check.

Oh now i am gutted as i bought a bridge camera for general carrying about every day use instead of lugging my heavy bag around with me.
So i will have to wait until early next year until i am financially able to get one, get one i will though now that i know it will work.

A big thanks John for the info, it is much appreciated.

Best regards Paul

Bonsaidad
11th August 2010, 09:59 AM
Perhaps you should take them at their word and have a chat to Yalcrab (http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7580) :D

I have just read the reply from John, so why on earth they would tell me incorrectly i haven't the foggiest!

Best regards Paul

menace1944
11th August 2010, 10:11 AM
I have just read the reply from John, so why on earth they would tell me incorrectly i haven't the foggiest!

Best regards Paul

The probable reason is that Olympus do not guarantee operation of the EC-14 with the 70-300 due to limited maximum aperature affecting autofocus on some bodies. On compatibility lens charts Olympus show the combination as limited to manual focus to cover themselves.

Bonsaidad
11th August 2010, 10:19 AM
The probable reason is that Olympus do not guarantee operation of the EC-14 with the 70-300 due to limited maximum aperature affecting auto focus on some bodies. On compatibility lens charts Olympus show the combination as limited to manual focus to cover themselves.

Thanks Dennis, i have found this problem before as i wanted to gt the EX for my Macro lens, but discovered that my 35mm lens will not auto focus with this combination.
At the prices of Olympus lens, you would think that something like this would be sorted out.
These are incredibly engineered pieces of camera equipment, so where did it all go wrong?

Best regards Paul

Nick Temple-Fry
11th August 2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks Dennis, i have found this problem before as i wanted to gt the EX for my Macro lens, but discovered that my 35mm lens will not auto focus with this combination.
At the prices of Olympus lens, you would think that something like this would be sorted out.
These are incredibly engineered pieces of camera equipment, so where did it all go wrong?

Best regards Paul

Not sure I would regard it as going wrong, the ec1.4 reduces the amount of light falling on the sensor - it can't help doing that, that it is how it works - so less light is available for focussing. Effectively you have made the day darker. Over the years the ability to focus in low light has improved, so what may work on later cameras will not necessarily work across the range. I'd rather compatability charts were pessimistic, the other alternative is to dissapoint customers when a particular combination of cameras/lenses does not perform well across all reasonable conditions.

Nick

Kees
11th August 2010, 10:55 AM
Olympus has some compatibility matrices (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/) on their site that I find usefull in these matters.
The teleconverter matrix (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/e_system_cl.cfm) says that with the 70-300 you'll have only manual focus.

shenstone
11th August 2010, 03:24 PM
I have no idea why the compatibility matrix says that... it works fine.

Even in low light and at full zoom it's worked (abiet slowly)

Regards
Andy

peak4
11th August 2010, 04:49 PM

Best regards Paul

Paul, I was obviously typing too early in the morning. I actually meant for you to click on the link in my reply, as Yalcrab's selling one and to investigate that, rather than the one from Warehouse Express.

The other folks seem to have the correct explanation for WE's reply, but if Yalcrab's one is still for sale, you could save your self 150 quid.

Kenz
11th August 2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Bonsaidad

Check out the For Sales at FTU as i am selling my EC-14 teleconverter, it is in mint condition, fully boxed and all for 210 including P&P.*yes

Much cheaper than warehouse express

Already sold my E3, 50-200 SWD, 50mm F2, 25mm Pancake all to happy customers.

Cheers ken

Kenz
11th August 2010, 08:47 PM
PS

You will get me as Yalcrab on FTU.

Ken

shenstone
11th August 2010, 09:04 PM
PS

You will get me as Yalcrab on FTU.

Ken

I was just going to suggest that I suspected that...

He's a man who goes by different pseudonyms...

He used to have a 50-200 swd for sale ;)

Regards
Andy

Bonsaidad
11th August 2010, 11:51 PM
A very big thanks guys for your response to my question, it is appreciated.

It will be some time before i am able to buy a EC-14, i will have to wait until finances allow, but i will keep checking in on the forum.

Best regards Paul

gphemy
12th August 2010, 03:26 PM

The 35/3.5 is listed by Olympus as capable of AF with the EC14 from 25cm to infinity. In reality, I have not noticed any such limitation in AF capability.

Nick Temple-Fry
12th August 2010, 03:30 PM
The 35/3.5 is listed by Olympus as capable of AF with the EC14 from 25cm to infinity. In reality, I have not noticed any such limitation in AF capability.

I've used the ec1.4 and the 35mm perfectly happily together, and at much closer distances that 25cm. Indeed it is a very good combination as it allows a slightly greater working distance for macro (though not far enough for lots of insects).

Nick

Bonsaidad
12th August 2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys, its all so confusing to me, but the next time i want a bit of kit, i will post on here beforehand.

Thanks for the many replies.

Best regards Paul