PDA

View Full Version : What lens to take such a shot...?

theMusicMan
28th February 2008, 12:19 PM
Hey All

I have been booked for an engagement to take a band shots at a large concert hall later in the year, and one of the requests is for several shots similar to this one;

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa14/themouthpiecedotcom/black_dyke.jpg

I am more than happy to take such an image, but wanted to get your superb advice and thoughts as to which lens do you feel would be best suited to taking such a shot. The venue is going to be a classic hall in London (in fact, the same hall and stage as this shot), so there's no problem with space or access - but which lens please folks do you feel would be best to use...?

Thanks, look forward to your thoughts.

Hiding_Pup
28th February 2008, 12:27 PM
50-200mm would be my guess. You'll probably be need to be in the first circle so that you're high enough to see everyone, and then they'll be quite far away.

Haisbro
28th February 2008, 02:03 PM
I would use a tripod as well and have a ec14 in case. Best go to the venue before hand if possible, makes life less stressful.

David

j.baker
28th February 2008, 02:09 PM
Will the lighting be similar as your image?

What are they going to do with the images? Print or Web?

If you are taking the images when there is an audience, then using a tripod may be problematic.

theMusicMan
28th February 2008, 02:29 PM
Will the lighting be similar as your image?

What are they going to do with the images? Print or Web?

If you are taking the images when there is an audience, then using a tripod may be problematic.Yes, the lighting will be similar - exactly the same venue.

They will want to use the images for both printing and on their web site.

No audience, the shots are required before the audience arrives.

j.baker
28th February 2008, 03:17 PM
Given your kit list, from your forum sig, I would suggest the 14-54 and maybe the 1.4 tele conv.

I am assuming that you want to travel lite.

theMusicMan
28th February 2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks all... I thought of the 14-54mm - so am delighted that John has suggested this one... :)

Ellie
1st March 2008, 11:39 PM
Is there any way you can get to the concert hall to try out your gear on your own? That way you'd know which lenses and settings work best, and might feel more confident too.

Congratulations on the booking by the way. :)

theMusicMan
2nd March 2008, 10:03 AM
Not really Ellie, as I am 150 miles away from the hall. I do travel to London regularly on business though, so I may have to see if I can extend one trip to take a look.

Good idea.

sapper
2nd March 2008, 05:04 PM
I would be interested to see just how digital 4/3rds would cope with this sort of pic.
I used to do lots like this in a previous life and I used Bronica ETR 15 on 120 rollfilm but not sure I would want try it using my E-3.
Dave.

theMusicMan
2nd March 2008, 05:33 PM
Why not Dave...? what is it that makes you not want to try this with your E-3...?

Vokesie
3rd March 2008, 12:33 PM
John.

as the others have said I think the 14-54 would be fine (or even the 14-42 if you were using flash) as you say you will be in an empty hall before the event, so you can be anywhere in the public gallery

HughofBardfield
3rd March 2008, 01:38 PM
I'd endorse the 14-54 with the EC14, but the tripod is of course a must... and a grey card or white balance reference. I think if you can keep ISO down and go for a slow shutter speed you should have no problem with quality. I used to hate group shots like this as someone is always yawning/sneezing/picking their nose, but PS makes it a lot easier!

I confess if I was getting paid, I'd probably take the kitchen sink to be on the safe side, but I'm a natural paranoiac! If you can get the dimensions of the hall from their website, it would be easy enough to work out the angles of view/distances. I agree with Hiding_Pup: that image looks like it was taken from the circle.

DerekW
3rd March 2008, 01:52 PM
and you will have to get the band /group/orchestra on side so they know what they are supposed to be doing, the conductor will have to conduct the session as you will be just a distant spot in the gallery

Hiding_Pup
3rd March 2008, 02:10 PM
We could always cut the guesswork out and resort to maths instead:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/industrial_bctv/ERC/calculator3.html