PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E620 flash issues

dave_d_5678
4th August 2010, 04:09 PM
I have a Panasonic DMC-L1 with the Leica 14-50 lens and then bought a Metz AF36-4 and the flash performance and photos are fine.

I have recently bought an E620 body as my main body and I'm very happy with it apart from the flash results. Doing a side by side comparison withe the same lens , built in flash and then the Metz the Oly photos seem 1 to 2 tops under exposed compared to the DMC-L1 and the light distribution is patchy.

I have tried Auto and P settings and checked the flash is set to Auto etc - Any ideas apart from using exposure compensation? I hoped the Oly would be better than the Panny !

Cheers Dave.

crimbo
4th August 2010, 04:47 PM
any images to show the problem?

dave_d_5678
4th August 2010, 06:06 PM
Not very good ones! I'll try again and post a couple.- Thanks

meach
4th August 2010, 08:07 PM
I've been disappointed with the built in flash on my E-600, compared with my old E-510 and E-30. I put it down to the much lower guide number it has (because of the smaller battery). Anything more than a few feet away and it struggles. Must try a higher ISO number some time to see if that helps.

dave_d_5678
5th August 2010, 04:16 PM
I have tried a few more options and think the Auto settings on the DMC-L1 are better but going to manual settings , aperture and speed I'm now getting good results with the built in flash and the Metz on the E620.

I don't tend to use the Auto much preferring to shoot in P or A mode and should take more control over the flash settings - That will teach me to be lazy!
Thanks for the input all.
:)

ged
14th August 2010, 08:45 PM
I bought an E-600 back in march. Previous to that I was using a Canon Powershot S3iS.
I found the built in flash on both cameras to produce inconsistent results. Although never disastrous I just found that while one picture may be quite satisfactory another would suffer from a lot of shadow. I noticed much depended where the subject was in relationship to other lighting and walls etc.
A couple of months ago I decided to treat myself to a Metz 48AF-1. What a difference. Because the flash tilts, swivels and power output can be adjusted any previous problems were resolved.
With the in built flash the camera used to really hunt around to focus. With the Metz its nearly, if not, as quick as in daylight
I would suggest to any one purchasing an after market flash to buy one with the swivel and tilt facility. The difference between full on flash and perhaps bouncing from a wall can be quite impressive.
The Metz is also far cheaper than the Olly own brand, I picked mine up from SRS Watford for under 150.
And so now i'm a :) flasher.