PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed... issue with E-3 and Remote Trigger Device

theMusicMan
3rd August 2010, 07:23 PM
Hi All

Well, to say I am bitterly disappointed is an understatement.

I ordered a nice new Remote Timer from Amazon this week, one that allows fine control over bulb timing, time lapse shots, etc, and it arrived today. So... wanted to familiarise myself with its operation and controls this evening as I am off on hols on the weekend - thus wanting to get to grips with it now prior to going.

Guess what... when I placed the timer into the E-3, it pushed back the male connectors into the inside of the E-3, and thus makes no contact with the pins, rendering the remote trigger totally useless. The pins are not all the way in, and are still in the hole as it were, but they have gone back into the E-3 far enough that there's no physical connection between them and the female connector on the trigger cable.

No time before holiday to see what can be done, so no darned timelapse shots for me this holiday.

I seem to remember reading about this a few years ago with non Oly cable releases. Is there a fix...? a very very quick one...?

Grrrrrrr

Rod Souter
3rd August 2010, 08:07 PM
Very fine tweezers/watchmakers pliers, grip a pin and pull gently:eek:

The whole mounting block then moves back towards its original position.

DAMHIK:D

Rod

theMusicMan
3rd August 2010, 08:09 PM
Yep - done that, and it certainly allows retraction of the pins, but as soon as I re-insert the cable, they get pressed back again.

I wonder if a dose of cyanoacrylate would hold it in place...?

Rod Souter
3rd August 2010, 08:25 PM
The problem is with the pin holes in the plug, they need 'easing'.

I used a series of sewing/darning needles to make the holes in the plug bigger. Take care I ended up with lots of puncture wounds, then realised that two pairs of pliers was good:rolleyes:

Rod

theMusicMan
3rd August 2010, 08:28 PM
The problem is with the pin holes in the plug, they need 'easing'.

I used a series of sewing/darning needles to make the holes in the plug bigger. Take care I ended up with lots of puncture wounds, then realised that two pairs of pliers was good:rolleyes:

Rod
Cracking advice there Rob, thanks. I will try this.

Cheers *chr

peak4
3rd August 2010, 08:30 PM
John, I can remember posting on this thread (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?p=271214#poststop) a while ago.

What I did when I got my cheap remote, was to slightly enlarge th holes in the plastic plug with a micro drill in a hand vice. All done manually, not with a Dremmel, and not so much that the sockets fell out.
It worked OK on mine.

Good Luck

theMusicMan
3rd August 2010, 08:32 PM
Doesn't drilling the holes though endanger damaging the metal female receptors within the end of the cable...?

peak4
3rd August 2010, 08:55 PM
I would think so if you're not very careful, but I used a very small drill, just to enlarge the hole in the plastic very slightly, only enough to make sure these was clearance for the pins in the camera socket. I've a set that go from 1 to 2mm in 0.1mm steps, one of which I used in a pin vice.
I'm not sure of the holes were a bit too small, had a moulding mark left in them, or were misaligned slightly, but it did the trick.

If you ever send your camera back for a service, I understand that Oly glue it in if requested; maybe it would make it even more water resistant.