PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Oly 70-300mm USA?

Rocky
31st July 2010, 12:25 PM
Could anyone tell me if there is any difference in the USA version of the Oly 70-300 lens.
I have just ordered from Amazon for a great price (250ish.) looking further into it the lens I ordered is the USA version, Item model number: 261057. as opposed to the usual (I think) Item model number: N2931392

The photos of the two lens do show some difference, ie lens hood fitting on the front of lens, also it appears to step down in size bellow the zoom control..

Anyone able to advise if the quality of the two lenses vary?

I've ordered from DigiGood in Brighton, via Amazon.

Rocky
31st July 2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/images/support/product/sup_1346.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZJ5U4ANyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

theMusicMan
31st July 2010, 01:25 PM
No difference... the Oly 70-300mm is the Oly 70-300mm lens. It's a cracker too for the price, you'll love it.

Rocky
31st July 2010, 01:32 PM
No difference... the Oly 70-300mm is the Oly 70-300mm lens. It's a cracker too for the price, you'll love it.

That's a relief. It's confusing as the seller has the same lens listed twice, with the two ID No.s, and the slightly different photo. These two photos can be found on many other sites as well, which prompted me to believe there were two versions available.

Roberta
31st July 2010, 10:52 PM
you'll love it..........I have a lot of fun with it.
Roberta

Rocky
4th August 2010, 07:04 PM
Lens arrived..
It's the one in the first photo. The hood has three lugs to clip onto the lens, not two as the kit lenses and the 50-200mm.
Does anyone else have one like this? or are they mainly as in photo two.??
And why the difference?

Ross the fiddler
5th August 2010, 10:00 AM
I have checked Amazon & on the listing for "Ships from and sold by J&R Music and Computer World" ( http://www.amazon.com/Zuiko-70-300mm-f4-0-5-6-Digital-Zoom/dp/B000SSLR5Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1281001108&sr=1-3 ) it actually shows both photos.

It could be one of those things that fit the saying, "there are three ways to do things, the wrong way & the right way or the American way" with "bigger is better".:D It certainly shows a difference & your photo on the right would have the same lens & filter size, but looks like the lens barrel & outer barrel appear to be larger in diameter. It would be interesting to know if these lenses are actually being sold still or if they were initial models (or prototypes) before international market production. That is, the photo possibly doesn't match the product being sold. Your photo on the left is the one being sold & used everywhere.

It is a great lens to use for the price.

StephenL
5th August 2010, 01:38 PM
Mine has 3 lugs for the lens hood. Made in Japan; I don't know if the other version you are asking about was made in China like some Oly lenses?

Rocky
5th August 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the input Ross and Stephen.
Mine is the same as yours, made in Japan..
Now I have to master the art of using it.
First impressions, with the EC-14, is that I'm getting lots of movement blur, compared to the 50-200 + EC-14. But as yet I've not had the best of light to test it.
Really pleased how compact it is.

Cheers guys.