PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 24mm F1.8, any feedback

scanny
27th February 2008, 08:19 PM
Hi All

I have been looking into purchasing a prime lens for a few months now and think the sigma 24mm will fit the bill. I had contemplated the sigma 30mm however noticed it only gives 45 degrees field of view. I then looked into the 24mm and it has 84 degrees, just short of the width the 11-22mm gives.

Would the lens be suitable for landscape use? Ive dabbled in supertele and standard lenghts but neve had any experience with prime lenses in use for wie angle. Cost wise its £230-£240 so a bit of a bargin i think. The Olympus 50mm was another consideration at £260 but will not give any wide use. I came across a zuiko 50mm OM f1.8 lens for £20, would it work coupled with a mount convertor?

Thanks for your advice

donmcmahan
9th December 2008, 08:05 PM
I have the sigma 30 it lives on my camera, my other lenses live in the bag. at 24mm(48mm in 35mm terms) it would be a good bit long for a landscape lens. I would wonder about the angle of view figures you quote, seems like a big difference for two so close in focal length, i tried to go on Sigma's website to confirm but it seems to be down.

scanny
9th December 2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Don

I later realised the figures for the field of view were suspect and possibly wrong (i got the figure from the 4/3 photo memebr reviews thread in the lens specs) and the field of view was not as wide as stated. I picked up an 11-22mm recently to get me started in wide angle work, i also decided last year to buy the 50mm f2 and it was super sharp and optically excellent, i never had any of the focus "problems" many of the online reviews brand it with.

"Sigma 24mm f1.8 Macro lens
Lens Construction 10 Elements in 9 Groups
Angle of View 84.1 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades 9 Blades
Minimum Aperture F22
Minimum Focusing Distance 18cm/7.1 in.
Maximum Magnification 1:2.7
Filter Size Diameter 77mm
Product Dimensions 3.5 x 3.3 x 3.3
Weight 1.1 lbs
Date avalible oct, 4, 2006
Price ~$450
Sigma Website"

donmcmahan
9th December 2008, 08:19 PM
I just found a reference to th 30mm's 45degree field of view and it was as i thought in a review of an aps-c version of this lens, it would be wider in 4/3rds. anyway how do you like the 11-22 it is one i have been thinking about. by the way i didn't notice that your post was over a year old, as there were no replies i thought it was new.

scanny
9th December 2008, 08:34 PM
I was toying with buying the sigma 30mm before the 11-22 came up on here for sale so it was too good an offer not too buy.

Ive had a few days to use it and it feels as expected, right at home on an e1 and well constructed. It has been very sharp so far, more so than my 14-54, however a little chromatic aberation creeps in at the fringes.