PDA

View Full Version : 2x polarisers = 1 big stop style ND filter?

Ian
27th July 2010, 08:33 AM
Just for a bit of fun and to prove a theory, I wrote an article on our general site, DPNow.com, about combining a pair of polarisers to make a 'big stop' style neutral density filter. If you're interested you can find it here:

http://dpnow.com/7300.html

Ian

ndl0071
27th July 2010, 10:00 AM
That's an interesting report Ian although the results were not altogether unexpected, it looks like you had a lot of fun in the process.

I've been known to use my Cpl over my NDx10 occasionally to gain that extra stop or so when needed although I've not yet needed to resort to the blu tac solution:eek:

Ian
27th July 2010, 10:42 AM
That's an interesting report Ian although the results were not altogether unexpected, it looks like you had a lot of fun in the process.

I've been known to use my Cpl over my NDx10 occasionally to gain that extra stop or so when needed although I've not yet needed to resort to the blu tac solution:eek:

I certainly had fun :)

One limitation is that it doesn't work with two circular polarisers - at least not with the two I tried. You need at least on linear polariser and these are relatively rare nowadays.

I think linear polarisers may make a come back to photography in the future as they don't seem to be as problematic with modern cameras as they used to be and they are more effective as polarisers than circular types.

Ian

sariero
21st May 2011, 09:55 PM
Hi, I think a fader ND is built with two polarizers, my experience is that the resultant image is very soft, and is better a 'pure' ND, anyway the fader efect when you move the filters is amazing.