PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Webmail Service?

jamie allan
25th July 2010, 09:47 AM
Don't know if anyone else has got this but I received an email purporting to come from upgrade@olympus.com with the following detail:

----Olympus Webmail Technical Service----

Attn: Webmail Subscriber,

We are currently performing maintenance on your Digital webmail Server to
improve the spam filter services in our webmail systems for better online
services to avoid virus and spam mails. In order to ensure you do not
experience service interruption, respond to this email immediately and
enter your Username/id here (********) password here (********) and future
password here (********).

NB: We require your username and password for Identification purpose only.

----Copyright 2010 Olympus Webmail!. All rights reserved-----

I've only an account on olympus.co.uk to register my camera/lenses/flash as I'm sure many of you have.
This looks extremely suspicious and I cannot imagine Olympus looking for any form of username/password combination. I've emailed customer.support@olympus.co.uk to ask if they know of this. It came in on 17/07 but as I've got spam filtering on my email account and also on outlook I never saw it at the time.

j.baker
25th July 2010, 09:49 AM
It looks like spam to me.

I am registered with Olympus and I have never had any emails from them.

cychwr
25th July 2010, 10:42 AM
A genuine email would NEVER request your Login and password.

Melaka
26th July 2010, 06:40 AM
Any email asking for your login and password is 100% guaranteed to be a scam and should be deleted instantly. However if it purports to come from a bank it's worth forwarding it to the bank's email address for reporting phishing - usually something like phishing@bank name.

theMusicMan
26th July 2010, 06:51 AM
WARNING:

Jamie, I guarantee 100% this is a scam. Do not respond to this message as no credible organisation would ever ask for your username and password in an email.

jamie allan
26th July 2010, 07:30 PM
All,
Thanks for the replies - I did realise it was a scam - I actually work in the IT industry. I thought I'd post it in case anyone else got it. I can only think the sender got my details from one of the Olympus or 4/3 sites as it is specific.

Wreckdiver
26th July 2010, 08:44 PM
Definitely spam. Bin it.

Steve

Who's_E
27th July 2010, 08:17 AM
Definitely a scam.

The only thing I don't understand is why they would want your Olympus site login. Could it be that they are building up to a bank account email, are they particularly interested in Olympus, do they know that there is a password protected account that you use but not what it is for?

Nick

StephenL
27th July 2010, 10:48 AM
They are probably fishing for passwords, and assuming/hoping that you use the same password for many things.

Definitely a scam.

The only thing I don't understand is why they would want your Olympus site login. Could it be that they are building up to a bank account email, are they particularly interested in Olympus, do they know that there is a password protected account that you use but not what it is for?

Nick