PDA

View Full Version : 70-300 Autofocus Failure

Batman
20th July 2010, 02:01 PM
I don't believe it. My 70-300's autofocus has failed just 4 days after the 2 year warranty ran out. Does anyone have any experience of 'sympathy' from Olympus in a similar case?

I've tried it on both E-520 and E-30. I was using it on e_520 when it gave up. One moment working OK. The next moment complete silence from the autofocus motor.

Batman
20th July 2010, 03:21 PM
Update on the above. Spoke to a very nice lady at Olympus UK and she said they would honour the warranty. She is sending pre-paid return packaging so all seems to be well, except of course I will be without a favourite lens for a few weeks.

I just hope they find something and fix it.

Wreckdiver
20th July 2010, 05:00 PM
That sounds like pretty decent service from Oly, especially as they are paying the shipping as well :tup

Steve

monoboard
20th July 2010, 05:15 PM
Does the 70-300 have sofware like the 50-200 ?

reg

David

Batman
20th July 2010, 06:44 PM
It has Firmware and this is up to date.

It also has a manual /auto switch, which I never use so didn't check. Somehow while I was handling the camera, bearing in mind it had been ok moments before and stopped while I was looking through the viewfinder, I must have moved this.

What a wally! Am I embarrassed? I sure am. I will need to apologise to the nice Olympus lady tomorrow. Oh dear!

monoboard
20th July 2010, 06:50 PM
I have used my 70-300 for a couple of years & it's always been spot on along with my e510, now since i bought my E3 and a 50-200 i might sell the lens keep the body as a backup and put the pennys toward's a 50mm f2.

reg

David

crimbo
20th July 2010, 07:48 PM
It has Firmware and this is up to date.

It also has a manual /auto switch, which I never use so didn't check. Somehow while I was handling the camera, bearing in mind it had been ok moments before and stopped while I was looking through the viewfinder, I must have moved this.

What a wally! Am I embarrassed? I sure am. I will need to apologise to the nice Olympus lady tomorrow. Oh dear!

Been there... its a feature of the lens to move the switch without your direct command...

Zuiko
20th July 2010, 09:47 PM
The main thing is that the lens is not faulty after all. It will give them something to laugh about at Olympus! :D

baldyb
20th July 2010, 10:23 PM
Hands up those of us with the 70-300 who haven't done the same thing at some point ....... but then not admitted to it. I know I have :eek:

At least you won't lose the lens for a few weeks now.

gregles
20th July 2010, 11:47 PM
Hands up those of us with the 70-300 who haven't done the same thing at some point ....... but then not admitted to it. I know I have :eek:

At least you won't lose the lens for a few weeks now.

Hands up here;) I now know that that wee button can be very useful though:)

OlyPaul
21st July 2010, 06:30 AM
LOL, have I done that with mine, i think I'll take the 5th on that.;)

Roberta
31st July 2010, 11:02 PM
Been there done that.............ranted and raved to dear husband then thought about it...Duh

theMusicMan
1st August 2010, 08:16 AM
Yup... read the book, and have the t-shirt!! Welcome to the club batman! :)

buddha01
2nd February 2012, 05:17 PM
Only on purpose.
But then again....I was so smart to check out all the features first before I used it the first time in the field. So I knew what I could and couldn't do with it and when I could use that switch.:D;)